Spotter options for the poor folk.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not quite ready to drop $1000+ on a spotting scope. I have a cheapie simmons that I use to spot shots at the range, but it was dropped and broke the eye piece off. It was really cheap.

I know buy once cry once, but I'm not there and I need something to at least spot my shots. If I can use it in the next year out west, that would be great. Compact would be good.

What budget options out there should I consider before buying another $60 simmons? Let's say $500 or less. Mil Reticle options would be even better.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have 2 great options for you in packable ED Glass Spotters from Hawke:

#56200 Endurance ED 16-48x68 Angled Spotting Scope - Green
reduced from $629.99 to only $499.99
Extra-low dispersion glass for optimum clarity
Dielectric coatings designed to increase light reflectivity
Fully multi-coated optics to produce sharp images
Close focus - see detail from 16.4ft/5m
BAK-4 porro prisms for intense color and contrast
Dual focus knob to achieve ultra fine focusing
Body rotation for viewing in virtually any position
Stay-on soft scope cover for maximum protection
Twist-up eye cup and pull out sunshade
Digi-scope compatible for use with your camera

For something slightly lighter and smaller they offer the #56194 Endurance ED 15-45x60 Angled Spotting Scope - Call for special price
Ultra compact and lightweight construction
Extra-low Dispersion glass for optimum clarity
Dielectric Coatings designed to increase light reflectivity
Fully Multi-Coated optics to produce sharp images
Close focus – see detail from 8.2ft/2.5m
BAK-4 Porro prisms for intense colour and contrast
Dual focus knob to achieve ultra fine focusing
Stay-on soft scope cover for maximum protection
Twist-up eye cup and pull out sunshade
Digi-scope compatible for use with your camera
Nitrogen purged – water and fog proof
Hawke lifetime warranty

sneaky

"DADDY"
A lot of the budget spotters are made in the same factory so find one you like and buy it. Hawke makes a good budget scope, they also make a 50mm packable compact scope, or it may be a 55mm. It's pretty dang affordable too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I dunno, I've had a lot of guys at the range who had to ask me where their shots went at 300 yards, and my range scope is a (very) old Bushnell Spacemaster with a fixed 20x eyepiece. It's not the brightest scope, but it's sharp, and for the range that's all you need. For a hunting scope, you need brightness though.

The key to a lot of less expensive scopes is the quality fixed focal length eyepiece. Most guys will never know how much image quality and light they give up with a variable power eyepiece until the see a good fixed one.

OP
W

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
I dunno, I've had a lot of guys at the range who had to ask me where their shots went at 300 yards, and my range scope is a (very) old Bushnell Spacemaster with a fixed 20x eyepiece. It's not the brightest scope, but it's sharp, and for the range that's all you need. For a hunting scope, you need brightness though.

The key to a lot of less expensive scopes is the quality fixed focal length eyepiece. Most guys will never know how much image quality and light they give up with a variable power eyepiece until the see a good fixed one.

I saw some spacemasters on ebay today.

I saw some spacemasters on ebay today.
If you can find one with a fixed power eyepiece, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. Gonna be better than that old Simmons with the variable eyepiece for sure.

This is close to the one I use, except mine has the rubber camo armoring. But those fixed power eyepieces are what you want. Stay away from the variable power ones. They are junk.

1588940128976.png

This wouldn't be a bad way to go either. Fixed power Leupy for a little more $

But once you get up in the $300 range, I'd give Doug a call and see what he has that can compete with that old Leupy.

Last edited:
OP
W

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. I might go that route. Gotta pay for my lease in July, then funds with open up.

OXN939

WKR
I picked up a Bushnell Prime 16-48x50 spotter a few months ago and did a review on it. They're basically right around $300, and solidly packable. Had it out watching a resident herd of whitetail at last light a few days ago, and could PID individual does against each other at 600 yards.

$675 just as an example for a pretty good spotter, I preferred this one over my Zeiss Conquest Gavia.

bascott1

WKR
I'm not a very experienced spotter person, but i have the athlon ares and i am pretty dang happy with it. Not super expensive, pretty dang clear to me and pretty light. But like I said, I'm no expert by any means. And it did get bounced around in my pack in the bed of a truck in montana for spring bear for lots of miles and the eyepiece broke, sent it in and they fixed it with no questions asked and no charge to me.

Wassid82

WKR
I recently bought two Kowa scopes. One for me and one for my son. His 502 came first and I was really impressed for the couple hundred dollars I think its a sweet scope and as mention before it is very light weight