Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Maven

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Kowa

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters

DuckDogDr

WKR
Starting to budget for one for backpacking trips.
Reading threads I know the kowas and swarovskis are highly recommended but also looking at the mavens and nightforce . Willing to fork out the change for a good durable one… but obviously don’t want to spend money just to spend for a name

Advice and recommendations appreciated

BluMtn

WKR
One of the questions you need to answer is "How do you intend to use your spotting scope" . Is this going to be a Pickup/pack spotter, just a pack spotter, and is it going to be day use only or will it go with you on a several day backcountry trip. Are you going to digiscope with it. I know you said backpacking trips but what does that entail. One of the things to look at also is if you stay with the top two and you get it and it is not what you are looking for then chances of recouping your investment is better than with the others. Just a thought to help narrow your pick a little better. We all try to live by the code "Buy once cry once" but nomatter how hard I try to do that it never seems to work.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Your timing is great as we have a nice selection of demo Kowa Spotters &
open box Swarovski Spotters. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

I love my Kowa 773. My philosophy on the nearly alpha glass is to buy one sight unseen, without trying anything else. It's gonna be awesome, and I won't know what I'm missing.

The Kowa checked all the boxes for me on weight, clarity, and discount from Swaro.

socoalt

WKR
I had a Kowa and sold it for a swaro ats. Opticaly I can't really tell too much of a difference but I do really miss the fine focus adjustment that kowa offers.

Kowa is as good or better than swaro glass and a better focus at a significant discount.

Buy swaro for the name recognition or potential resale, buy kowa for the function and use.

Firehawk

WKR
Loved my Kowa 774, but it was big enough and heavy enough that it stayed in the truck too often. Used a Maven CS.1A Angled scope and it was light, handy etc. Liked everything about it except for the "angled" part. Wish they had made it in a straight when I bought it. Just sold it a few weeks ago and picked up a Maven S2. I think it is going to be great. Good glass, handy and built well. Still have loads to do with it to generate a real review, but so far I like it quite a lot. Wish it had a little more magnification though.

If money were no object, I would own the Swarovski STC. But money is an object, so I went with what I did. So far...so good.

FH

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Kowa 773 and would buy Kowa again in a heartbeat. Nothing against the others, but there is just something about them and their accessory support.

EvanG17

FNG
I personally own a Kowa 773 and love it. To be honest I only bought it due to the fact that it was on sale. But before I bought, I did a ton of research against or compared to a swaro and decided this was my best bet. And I'm glad I did.. I LOVE this thing

If I could I’d scream Kowa. I sold my beloved Swaro 95 for the new Kowa 88 TSN. Never did I think the worlds would come from my mouth. There was no comparison. I put side by side for a month. With each time comparing, it took less than a few seconds to notice a difference. So much that I sent my Swaro 95 in to Swarovski to have a look. Came back “perfect”. Here’s the other thing. My Kowa WITH the 1.6 extender was every bit as clear, bright, resolved, etc as the Swaro did without an extender. That’s saying a lot.
Here’s a screen shot from a video of a cow moose. She was 1822 yards. So over a mile. 74 degrees. So you’re looking at a lot of airspace with warm temperatures, mirage, through the lens of an iPhone, the spotting scope, and the extender. So quality is way down compared to what was actually viewed through the optic using your eye. The new line of Kowa’s are fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_0302.jpeg
    IMG_0302.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 39

mi650

WKR
I'm an admitted Swarovski fan, so that's how I voted. But you haven't said which models you're looking at.

Of your list, I've owned Swaro, Kowa, and NF. The NF is a decent scope, but doesn't compare. No experience with anything from Maven.

I spent a fair amount of time comparing an STX-95 and TSB-99S. Short version, to my eye there's not a nickels worth of difference. Prior to that, I compared the STX-95 to an STR-80. Again, very close. But comparing the 99S to something like an STS-65 wouldn't be fair. Knowing your budget or specific models you're looking at will yield better recommendations.

I've also owned an ATS-65 and STS-80. Currently I have a Kowa 884 and for my purposes, I'm not missing out on anything from the others I've owned.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kowa 553/4 773/4 or the 883/4 depending on weight you will carry and whether you want straight or angled.

Watch S&S Archery videos on it. @S&S Archery (Rob)

The flourite crystal lens are less weight and clarity is as good or better than Swaro.

Bird watchers are more snobby than hunters, and Kowa usually get the nod over Swaro.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Kowa 773. My philosophy on the nearly alpha glass is to buy one sight unseen, without trying anything else. It's gonna be awesome, and I won't know what I'm missing.

The Kowa checked all the boxes for me on weight, clarity, and discount from Swaro.
Terrible advice for binoculars but it makes sense for a spotter.