Spotting Scope for ID elk

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider
We’re headed next year to Idaho for a DIY elk hunt. I’ve read mixed reviews on bringing a spotting scope or not. Looking to get more opinions and some personal experience. Good luck to all that are out hunting for this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
One of the reasons I look forward to moving from deer to elk season...is dropping that heavy freaking spotting scope in the safe and leaving it!!!

If I'm glassing a long ways off, and see elk but can't count points, its still easy to tell if its a bull. In that case, I just gamble and make the hike.

MtnMuley

WKR
I definitely wouldn't leave the spotter at home. Just because you bring it, doesn't mean you have to put it in the pack every time.

I think it depends on the terrain you're hunting. I brought my spotter last year because I also had a deer tag and didn't take it out of my pack. I'm leaving tomorrow morning to go back (same unit) for just elk and the spotting scope is staying at the house. 10x42 binos are plenty for elk in the terrain I'm hunting.

I highly doubt you’ll need it because it doesn’t sound like you’ll be counting inches. Also you have to be in the right country to use it. Throw it in the truck and drag it out if you decide you want to use it.

OP
T

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider
Totally dependent on where in Idaho you are going. North-NO, Central-Maybe, South- Yes

We’re headed to southern ID, planning on the diamond creek zone. Going to be buying tags on December 1 as soon as they open, that’s our plan.

Rob5589

WKR
We’re headed to southern ID, planning on the diamond creek zone. Going to be buying tags on December 1 as soon as they open, that’s our plan.

Good luck! I haven't gotten a tag in 2 years now.

Anyway, there are some areas that a spotter can come in handy and I have seen several guys on them. I've never used mine, I'm after any elk, so I leave it at home now. I'd bring it and decide whether or not it's needed once you're there.

PS; bring some arrows for grouse. There's a ton of em!

PRC_GUY

WKR
Totally dependent on where in Idaho you are going. North-NO, Central-Maybe, South- Yes
I will go to central ID next year at unit 27 for both elk and deer, I have a Swarovski 20-60-65. It weighs right at 6.5 lbs , you recommend to bring or leave it home. I am appreciate for any suggestions.
Tom

500000KV

Lil-Rokslider
I will go to central ID next year at unit 27 for both elk and deer, I have a Swarovski 20-60-65. It weighs right at 6.5 lbs , you recommend to bring or leave it home. I am appreciate for any suggestions.
Tom
Bring it. I’ve never went to Idaho and not used my spotter at some point every day. First and last light my swaro95 is priceless.

OP
T

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider
If that's your plan, make sure you have a solid backup unit.

Good luck! I haven't gotten a tag in 2 years now.

Anyway, there are some areas that a spotter can come in handy and I have seen several guys on them. I've never used mine, I'm after any elk, so I leave it at home now. I'd bring it and decide whether or not it's needed once you're there.

PS; bring some arrows for grouse. There's a ton of em!

Okay I read there’s pressure but even the lady said the pressure for getting that tag wasn’t that bad when I called fish and game. Her response was “ just make sure you buy it on December 1 or you probably won’t get a tag “ We’ll make sure we have a backup plan if that doesn’t work out, thanks again guys! Appreciate the info

N.ID7803

WKR
Tom
Honestly, never hunted there, but probably would bring it just in case. I'm sure there are some guys who have better knowledge than me.