Spring Bear Montana

skierhs

WKR
Good morning fellas, I'm headed to Montana for my first spring bear hunt the last week in may. Bringing my 12 year old on his first out of state hunt. Any unit suggestions for hunting with the little guy? Thanks
Feel free to shoot me a PM. I’m local to Missoula so get to spend a decent amount time in the woods but on the west side more than less. Pretty much any place you’ll find Blackbears you can expect to run into griz in Montana, density’s of both just vary on where your located. That’s awesome your getting the kid out!

Still a new member I'm not allowed to send Pm'S. I've been hunting in Montana a few times myself, never with the little man. I'm looking in the long John mountains. Seems to be a fair bit of logging road access. Do you think that's a good area to take a youngster? I think it's super important to pass it on to the next generation. That's is our job after all.

skierhs

WKR
Still a new member I'm not allowed to send Pm'S. I've been hunting in Montana a few times myself, never with the little man. I'm looking in the long John mountains. Seems to be a fair bit of logging road access. Do you think that's a good area to take a youngster? I think it's super important to pass it on to the next generation. That's is our job after all.
I really like walking the old logging roads as it provides me with a lot of country that can access as well with glassing. I think its a easier way to get kids involved with the country not taking such a toll on thier body as some other country would.

MTCHIRO

FNG
Lots of bears east of the divide and more open terrain. Plus the country tends to be more open and easier to spot and stalk bears in my opinion.

mooster

WKR
I really like walking the old logging roads as it provides me with a lot of country that can access as well with glassing. I think its a easier way to get kids involved with the country not taking such a toll on thier body as some other country would.
How did it go? Researching myself as a first time trip later this spring.

skierhs

WKR
How did it go? Researching myself as a first time trip later this spring.
My spring Montana bear hunting took a back seat this year. Due to my schedule and that I had some friends come hunt with me over in Idaho over bait. We had a lot of success over in Idaho and I did some spot and stalking but wasn’t able to make anything happen.