Springfield Armory Waypoint 2020 Pre Review.

Mr. U.

FNG
New to the family, bought a 6.5PRC from Rokslider. The gun shoots lights out but I do have similar mag issues.

After a lot of cycling, 30 rounds down the tube, and some more cycling the action is still jumpy, rough, inconsistent. I believe this is a mag issue. I know for sure I cannot chamber this rifle within 200 yards of an animal without scaring it a mile away. The feed is so loud and then the spring "dioionioniongggs" for a few seconds after that, even with another round in the mag. It's ridiculous. Is everyone else's PRC with the metal mag like this? The cartridges are definitely scratched up as well.

On the FB page for waypoint it looks like Hawkins said they are talking to Springfield about their mag that is having issues as well as noted above.

Is there any alternative anywhere?

I'll go ahead and tell on myself as I am a novice and made a mistake when I got this gun. I thought the darn thing had the wrong barrel or something was wrong. The bolt was not smooth, cartridges where getting jammed, the feed with a mag was horrendous. The bullet seemed to be unusually tight and I grabbed a patch that was thicker than what I normally use to clean the barrel and it wouldn't go in. All these things together freaked me out and I told the seller and Springfield. After they made me feel comfortable about the barrel being ok I did go fire it and it shoots incredible. That being said, this action/feeding/mag issue is poor for a gun in this price range. It's really made me appreciate my Tikka.
Castronova, I just picked up a brand new Waypoint in 6.5 PRC with the carbon barrel. I was shocked when I loaded up the magazine and was having the exact experience you describe: scratched brass, stiff feeding, as well as failure to eject the round unless I cycle the bolt back very slowly. I contacted Springfield, described the problem, and they suggested that I send the rifle in for inspection. I was reluctant to do this because I am in the middle of working up handloads, and I convinced them to send me another magazine although I doubt this will resolve the problem. After doing some research, it looks like AICS metal magazines are pretty temperamental and often require feed lip adjustments and even sanding--there are even special tools for adjusting the feed lips. I guess I may end up heading down that path, or I may just send it back to Springfield, as it sounds like they will provide good service and quick turn around. Like you, I am very disappointed with Springfield's quality control with a rifle at this price point!

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for your experience, but that's good point you bringing up, at this price point QI should have fixed it by now, I was considering Waypoint until Bergara came up with their new line of premier rifles. I am looking into the premier divide vs mglite

Last edited:
Castronova, I just picked up a brand new Waypoint in 6.5 PRC with the carbon barrel. I was shocked when I loaded up the magazine and was having the exact experience you describe: scratched brass, stiff feeding, as well as failure to eject the round unless I cycle the bolt back very slowly. I contacted Springfield, described the problem, and they suggested that I send the rifle in for inspection. I was reluctant to do this because I am in the middle of working up handloads, and I convinced them to send me another magazine although I doubt this will resolve the problem. After doing some research, it looks like AICS metal magazines are pretty temperamental and often require feed lip adjustments and even sanding--there are even special tools for adjusting the feed lips. I guess I may end up heading down that path, or I may just send it back to Springfield, as it sounds like they will provide good service and quick turn around. Like you, I am very disappointed with Springfield's quality control with a rifle at this price point!
My experience with Springfield customer service and repair was very positive. They fixed a .380 911 that had chambering issues. Slide would sometimes not return to battery. After they did their work the gun has cycled flawlessly. Turn around was quick. Sent me prepaid mailing package and free return shipping. I’d bite the bullet and send it to them.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
I would echo the good customer service… I sent my waypoint back due to accuracy concerns and even after I had re cut the barrel channel in the stock and bedded it, they still did warranty and sent it back shooting better… dunno what they did but tightened the group up by .28” as I had not yet coaxed it to under .75”
They even sent it back in a new zippered case because one of the zipper pulls was broken when I sent it in.

mtmojo

FNG
Ran into the set screws coming loose and the firing pin working itself loose causing some light primer strikes. I've added some locktite to help keep them where they need to be. Other than that for the price it's hard to beat.

Crusade

FNG
And finally the best was the 143 ELDX. Once again two touching and one out. But still a excellent group at .588 MOA. Well under the .75 MOA Guarantee. I will revisit this round as time permits too.
Overall I am extremely happy with the results and accuracy of this rifle! View attachment 322011
Did you happen to chrono your shots with the 143 gr? I’ve got the same rifle, have yet to get the chronograph.

mtmojo

FNG
Did you happen to chrono your shots with the 143 eldx?
Factory 143 ELDX I'm seeing 2990 fps. My reloads I'm getting 2960 fps.
With the 143 Factory I was able to get a 5 shot group that was .62" that had one flier that opened up. I'm just over .25 without my flier. I'm just as tight (.38") with my reloads and like a little less pressure on the brass.
156 Bergers I was finally able to find a .56" group with 2840 fps and had to seat deep to find that group as I couldn't get near the lands and still be inside the mag. I like the Bergers but will take the speed of the ELDX for now.

Crusade

FNG
Ok, thanks for the info. That helps. Interesting that your reloads are shooting what is advertised on the factory container and 30 fps faster with factory loads than advertised. I need to get a chrono, just haven’t. Best group after box and an half through my waypoint I got .46 with the factory eldxs…but only one three shot group. I zeroed my turret on the leupold 3-15x44 and then it shot 1” right of bull. I’m not sold on that scope. About to go antelope hunting but may just take other rifle. 30 fps in my g7 rangefinder probably won’t make a huge difference, but I like to be as close as possible. Thanks again.

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Ran into the set screws coming loose and the firing pin working itself loose causing some light primer strikes. I've added some locktite to help keep them where they need to be. Other than that for the price it's hard to beat.
If you don't mind me saying, if you can, you're better off to stake the set screws.

For example, AR/M4 gas key is staked against all kinds of forces and when done right never loosens.

Be sure to use a proper staking tool and tap it with hammer until you get good swaging. Don't try to do it with just one hit.

mtmojo

FNG
If you don't mind me saying, if you can, you're better off to stake the set screws.

For example, AR/M4 gas key is staked against all kinds of forces and when done right never loosens.

Be sure to use a proper staking tool and tap it with hammer until you get good swaging. Don't try to do it with just one hit.
Thank you. I’ve got spare set screws and a replacement firing pin and spring so would still want to be able to do some repairs if necessary. I thought originally my spring was the issue.