Stabilizers on bow in the Backcountry

Marshfly

WKR
I would encourage you to remove the front bar entirely and try just the rear bar with 2-3 ounces of weight.

I run my V3X that way and it stabilizes just fine. I do get slightly smaller groups when I add a front bar and reweight properly but it's not enough to deal with the additional PITA the front adds.

I think a lot of the newer bows will balance this way if you give it a try.

Considering most of my shots are top pin, stabilizers don’t make sense to me, but I put a quivalizer on my bow last year and it’s a good compromise so far. It is a pain in the ass in the brush at times, but it does make my bow aim faster and hold better.

I have always been pretty anti stabilizer on a hunting bow, because it doesn’t make any difference to me, a perfectly balanced bow is absolutely going to shoot better, but for the purpose, it’s never going to make or break any encounter

It would be like packing a 20lb rifle… it will shoot better than an 8# rifle, but it’s pointless considering the shots you take hunting, and the size of target we need to hit

If you take a lot of shots over 40yds I could see the logic with stabilizers, but if most of your shots are 30 and in like mine, it’s completely unnecessary weight, and I am unwilling to add that weight, because I can shoot plenty good without it considering the shots I’ll take… my bow’s stabilization will never be a reason I’ll miss, for sure

pirogue

WKR
I agree with the above on it being something else to get tangled up going thru the woods chasing elk. I’m old enough to remember when they first came out, and were promoted for reducing hand shock and noise. After several years of bows getting quieter and, with less vibration, stabilizer makers had to change their promotional gimmick to more accuracy.

I agree with the above on it being something else to get tangled up going thru the woods chasing elk. I’m old enough to remember when they first came out, and were promoted for reducing hand shock and noise. After several years of bows getting quieter and, with less vibration, stabilizer makers had to change their promotional gimmick to more accuracy.
If it was a gimmick professional archers that are way better than 90% of us wouldn't use them either.

pirogue

WKR
If it was a gimmick professional archers that are way better than 90% of us wouldn't use them either.
You use anything, if you’re paid to use it. Besides, this thread topic is their use in the backcountry and hunting. Not a quarter size target across the length of a football field.

I never use a stabilizer for back country hunting….or front country for that matter. Got an archery super slam (#40 without one). Never wanted the weight, the extra profile, etc. Shot well enough without to keep the freezer full and taxidermist happy.

As I remember Randy Ulmer did the bulk of his hunting without a stabilizer. Heck of a target shooter and hunter, veterinarian, etc. I would bet he was using a stabilizer on his 3-D bow though.

Marble

WKR
My main reason for taking my back bar off while I elk hunt is comfort while hiking around. I generally set the bow over the back of my neck, and it rests on my pack/neck. It's very comfortable for me. With the back bar on it doesn't sit right.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
It sounds silly, but go for a day hike with your bow, even if it’s just around the house and yard. Hand carrying something all day gives you a new appreciation for it’s size, shape and weight.

elvis

FNG
I run both (15" & 10") and I think you get used to it. I don't bump it into anything, you are aware it's in your hand and the front bar is the only one you need to get used to. Its pointing away most of the time anyway.

Matt G.

WKR
I run a front stabilizer only. I tried the backbar and yes it did shrink my group but I wouldn't even carry in my treestand on a short walk. Just not worth it. I can shoot in a baseball at 60.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

PMcGee

WKR
I have a front and back bar. I have hunted without a stabilizer as well. I don’t see any difference as far as being a pain in the ass. Don’t really notice the extra weight. I just take the back bar off if I have my bow strapped to my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

While I love a front and back bar setup, most of my hunting bows have Beestinger Counterslides. They are extremely effective and much more streamlined. The original counterslide made my Mathew’s Halon whole different bow. Run the microhex on my VXR and will be putting a microhex on my new LIFT tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I love a front and back bar setup, most of my hunting bows have Beestinger Counterslides. They are extremely effective and much more streamlined. The original counterslide made my Mathew’s Halon whole different bow. Run the microhex on my VXR and will be putting a microhex on my new LIFT tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used a counter slide one year, and it was certainly more practical than a front and rear bar for me, I think they are a good compromise for those that like stabilizers.

I still took it off because it will never change the outcome of a shot I will take elk hunting, but it makes more sense to me for a hunting bow.

11boo

WKR
I’m good with this. Tried a long/heavy front stab, such a tiny improvement I ditched it and put this back on.

IMG_6683.jpeg

What is it ^
I do like my 12 inch not weighted for a tripod like effect and carry over neck.
If you take the sternum strap and run it over it it’s he ands free carry.

CMF

WKR
I don't even like an 8" up front for elk hunting. Maybe it's just the way I carry my bow and I'm shorter, but I can't stand it grabbing on grass and brush, etc. I've been shooting my V3X 29 with no stab and still shooting fine, although I do want to do some testing out to 70/80 yards with and without.