Stone Glacier or Exo

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I just spent a few weeks trying both the Exo K3 and the SG Xcurve. Both are nice frames. I really wanted to end up with the Exo because of bag designs, but could never get the pack to stay put under load. The lumbar pad and waist belt tended to sag on the K3 no matter how it was set and how tight it was. The Xcurve waist belt and lumbar pad lock right on and don’t move. I ended up keeping the Xcurve. If I could upgrade the Xcurve in anyway it would be to put the Exo shoulder suspension on it.
I will say the cost to ship the Exo back was crazy. USPS wanted $60, UPS ended up cheapest option at $46. I can’t imagine the cost to/fro Canada.

CO-AJ

WKR
I looked at the Kifaru, SG, SO, and Exo. I went with the Exo 6400, but like many on here it boils down to fit and features. The Exo is my first high quality large pack but I have yet to load it up heavy and walk miles and miles. I was very appreciative of Mark at Exo he answered all my questions and the online reviews and you tube videos were high for the Exo. Lastly, I liked the side pockets on the Exo, the material, and the simplicity of the 1 main pocket without a bunch of smaller internal pockets. It is a tough decision because you can't go to a store and try them all.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Exo K3, with a K2 5500 bag is my go to right now. I have recently purchased a SO Goshawk and SG 7900 to compare, but not had a chance yet to really test, just a bit of walking around with sandbags. 5500 is a bit over 6000 ci with the lid per Mark at Exo. I swap out to my 4800 for shorter trips.

I would have gone Exo 6400 but no zipper on the stretch front pocket turned me back to my 5500, and it's about the same size as the 6400.

General (used looslely) consensus I see here is Exo bags have the best design, but their frames are hit and miss for people. Some people are able to slot them in and they feel perfect, even with heavy loads. Others have better luck with SG, SO or Kifaru. You will see a lot of Exo bags run on other frames here. I can't get into Kifaru bags, they all look a little odd to me.

I've been lucky that once properly setup, I haven't seen any of them really vary in comfort to a significant degree.

tjihrig

FNG
I love my EXO 3500. I’ve found it prevents me from over packing. I’m not responsible enough to have a bigger bag. It’s like a gear governor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just spent a few weeks trying both the Exo K3 and the SG Xcurve. Both are nice frames. I really wanted to end up with the Exo because of bag designs, but could never get the pack to stay put under load. The lumbar pad and waist belt tended to sag on the K3 no matter how it was set and how tight it was. The Xcurve waist belt and lumbar pad lock right on and don’t move. I ended up keeping the Xcurve. If I could upgrade the Xcurve in anyway it would be to put the Exo shoulder suspension on it.
I will say the cost to ship the Exo back was crazy. USPS wanted $60, UPS ended up cheapest option at $46. I can’t imagine the cost to/fro Canada.

This has been my experience with both the Exo K2 and K3. I want the Exo to work so badly for me, which is why I got rid of my SG and got

I have had the same experience. I have owned 3 Exo packs and ended up selling them because I could not keep the pack riding high on my hips when loaded up. Over 40lbs its seemd it just slowly starts to slip down your back and onto your butt.

EXO and SG are the two best pack options out there in my opinion. I prefer EXO bag designs and EXO is more comfortable with light loads. That said, SG is plenty comfortable for me and the bag designs work well. SG belts/lumbar pads stay in place better than any others ive tried (EXO, SO, and Kifaru) under heavy loads and that is the sole reason I have a SG x-curve but no longer own an EXO frame. That said, EXO still handled heavy loads for me better than SO and Kifaru.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I will say my experience with Exo has nothing but great. I think if they can figure out how to get that waist belt more rigid front to back and stay solidly attached to the lumbar curve of the frame they'll have the best combination. I think the two sleeves that the bottom of the K3 frame slip down into don't provide enough stability. While it does allow the pack to ride more "dynamically" under load instead of staying rigidly attached to the lumbar contour, it is allowed to tilt posteriorly which allows the sag and slip down. This could be fixed and then I'd try one again. Perhaps the K4 frame.

I will say my experience with Exo has nothing but great. I think if they can figure out how to get that waist belt more rigid front to back and stay solidly attached to the lumbar curve of the frame they'll have the best combination. I think the two sleeves that the bottom of the K3 frame slip down into don't provide enough stability. While it does allow the pack to ride more "dynamically" under load instead of staying rigidly attached to the lumbar contour, it is allowed to tilt posteriorly which allows the sag and slip down. This could be fixed and then I'd try one again. Perhaps the K4 frame.

Bingo!! You nailed it. Exo almost has it figured out which would make them arguably the best pack. The overly soft lumber pad along with it not be mechanically fastened to the frame/hip belt just allows the pack to slip. I think the K3 is better, but it still isn't perfected.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The first gen Exo pack frame has side stabilizing straps between the frame and waist belt. I have talked to Steve about it a couple of times at the shop that I wish they would go back to that setup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

md126

WKR
I saw a big difference in comfort, both under load and not, when I extended the frame. It fit the contour of my back/torso much better. The reverse might also be true of course, depending on your own body. Something worth try

Adding an additional shim would help stiffen the lumbar pad too.

Overall comfort and the bag design of the EXO are hard to beat

schmalzy

WKR
SG with the kifaru material/padding and power pulls would be as good as it gets for me. Really liked the latest iteration of kifaru frames but just couldn’t find a bag situation I loved. Tried the xcurve/solo set up and have loved it training. Took me a bit to get it dialed in fit wise.

SG with the kifaru material/padding and power pulls would be as good as it gets for me. Really liked the latest iteration of kifaru frames but just couldn’t find a bag situation I loved. Tried the xcurve/solo set up and have loved it training. Took me a bit to get it dialed in fit wise.

So although I agree the padding and comfort of the Kifaru hip belt is legendary, if SG had that it would not stay up on your hips and back like it does. You cant have ultra cusion padding and not have some slippage.

Its the reason why I love SG because I value how well the xcurve stays up on your hips and does not slip down under load. Now it definitely feels stiffer and not as plush, but you have to pick one and deal with the other.

schmalzy

WKR
So although I agree the padding and comfort of the Kifaru hip belt is legendary, if SG had that it would not stay up on your hips and back like it does. You cant have ultra cusion padding and not have some slippage.

Its the reason why I love SG because I value how well the xcurve stays up on your hips and does not slip down under load. Now it definitely feels stiffer and not as plush, but you have to pick one and deal with the other.

Very valid points. I guess I would change my statement to padding for the shoulder straps. That being said, I prefer the SG cut and layout of the straps and the adjustability. Being able to adjust the lumbar pad dramatically increased the comfort.

HDwild

WKR
I ran the Stone Glacier sky archer last year. I love the frame but the bag is a $300+ army surplus duffle bag. The “water bottle holders” or whatever they are on the side of the bag are way too big and don’t have elastic which leaves them not really good for anything. Their are no external pockets. Every time you need to get something out of your bag it’s a gear dump and a yard sale. I bought the Exo and I’m much happier with the spandex torpedo pockets on the back and sides. Also the SG has no place for a water bladder other that putting it in with your clothes and sleeping bag. That will end you hunt quick. I’m keeping the stone Glacier but I’m going to have it remade like the Exo with torpedo pockets.
Do you know a guy that can sew stretch pockets on an SG? Or plan to DIY? I just bought both SG and Exo and prefer the fit of the SG but the tripod pockets and stretch pockets on the Exo are borderline "must-haves" for me. An Exo bag on a SG X-curve would be the best pack ever.

kravguy

WKR
Do you know a guy that can sew stretch pockets on an SG? Or plan to DIY? I just bought both SG and Exo and prefer the fit of the SG but the tripod pockets and stretch pockets on the Exo are borderline "must-haves" for me. An Exo bag on a SG X-curve would be the best pack ever.

Pretty sure the Exo packs fit the SG frame.

X-Curve with exo pack bag would be awesome