Stone Glacier Packs

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Used the pack on my backcountry elk hunt. Turned out to be a 3 day ordeal instead of five. Packed in 3 hours with 46 pounds Friday morning. Set up camp and then ran around with day gear in the pack locating targets. Got my elk Saturday morning and packed the backstrap and horns an hour back to camp (30#) then loaded camp (45#) and did 2.5 hours out with the ~75# total. Came back in the next day with friends and hiked 3 hours in empty and 3.5 back out with maybe 65#. Love the pack.
Only 2 slightly negatives. I wonder about the 5000cu rating. It's seems less roomy than other bags rated the same. Maybe it's the shape? And the hip pocket zipper is too stiff to zip with one hand. Meat shelf is great, and real easy to set up. Carries a load great.

Last edited:
Fillthefreezer, I am 5'8'' 165 lbs but a different build. 41'' chest 33'' waist. The pack fits me fine and I've run 40 lbs in it as a tester. It was a pleasure to pack around. It took some adjusting to get the fit right because the frame is tall but the velcro attachments for the shoulder straps adjust in seconds and you can easily find your fit. The waist belt cinches down to about 29''. If you factor in your layers, belt,pants, shirt, jacket, etc, you should be fine. I'll try to post some pics when I get time. I went with the Terminus and it is a monster of a pack.

However, Kurt had explained to me that the fit of his design is not made for everyone and just wont work with certain people. The frame is a completely flat design but I was surprised at how well the pack fit and how comfortable it was once I had the adjustments right for me.

He has a good return policy, as long as the pack isnt dirty or damaged you can return it if you cant make the pack work for you.
thanks, i ask cause were sorta in the market for a new pack for my wife. seems lots of packs waistbelts dont go small enough for her at 28"

Benny

FNG
Lets see some pictures! Congrats!

I don't have any of the pack on but here is a Solo with camp and 4 boned out bear quaters.

IMG_0951.jpg

Chesapeake, what pack do you have? Are you talking about 5kci with the load cell expanded? Congrats on your hunt.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
This is the pack with day gear, horns, and backstrap.
Netpack2.jpg

This is the pack with all the above plus ~45# worth of camp gear, 75 to 80# total.
Nethike3.jpg

I don't have any experience with the packs yet, but if they are at all like the guy that makes them they will be fantastic. I have exchanged several emails with Kurt and he has been nothing short of great to talk to and very generous. I'll be waiting 'til spring to be into a pack, but based on my interaction with Kurt, I am anxious indeed!

hunting1

WKR
I will wait to hear more, but everything so far is all good! I will jump in around spring after evryone has used and abused them. I like the simple and light weight design. The guy is a killing machine, so he knows what works. US made is always good too!

Hardstalk

WKR
+1 on kurts repor. Hes a great guy to deal with and willing to talk. Not just mass emails cut and paste type of responses. The 340 lbs on his back is awfully insane also. That pack looks killer.

G Posik

WKR
I have been doing some good hikes with my solo. I have a total pack weight of 77#s. I am using bags of sand, sleeping bag and other things to fill the gaps. I have moved the heavy weight around in the pack to weight high, low and middle. This pack carries the weight great in all positions. The belts and buckles have 0 slippage and the waist belt is super comfortable. I am super happy with this pack and plan to try and wear it out (Do not think it will really happen). I have ordered some long pockets from Kifaru to use on the outside for tent and sleeping bag. this way when I get to camp can take those off and not have to wear a 6000 cu in pack all the time.

Glenn

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
It has a normal buckle if thats what your asking. All the buckles on the pack are the same design, just different sizes.

G Posik

WKR
Still doing a couple 40 minute hikes a week with it loaded at 77 lbs. Pack is performing awesome. Super comfortable and carries the weight great. I feel like I have made a great choice In a pack. I did add two of the 650 cu in long pockets from Kifaru.

Glenn

Shrek

WKR
Thanks Glenn , looking at them they seem well thought out but nothing tells the tale like real world use. Not much elevation change in huston tx. Kind of like where I live , jacksonville fl. I have started to walk the bribges over the river for training :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Packed a deer out with the test dummy pack I managed to get to test out with prior to my last hunting trip. The load was light and the distance short, so not a true test by anyone's standards I would hope but so far so good.