Stone Glacier Sky 5900 and Sky Guide 7900 Live Review

sagerat

FNG
Do you run their water bottle attachment? Like the concept but unsure of the functionality of it.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you run their water bottle attachment? Like the concept but unsure of the functionality of it.

Bladder in lid for me. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sagerat

FNG
Do you like the quick release sling? I made a quick release sling for my Exo but it resembles the Kifaru style.

Richard

FNG
Thanks for the review. I'm looking at SG, and MR and am having a hard time making up my mind.

Thanks for the review. I'm looking at SG, and MR and am having a hard time making up my mind.
The thread linked below might help. The guy who did this test was also on the Exo podcast. Essentially, the Kifaru, Exo and SG are in a league of their own and a lot of choosing between the three comes down to personal preferences. Kuiu should give up on making packs, and Mystery Ranch is okay. I don't have experience with Kuiu or Kifaru, but it aligns with my opinions and experience with the other three.

Richard

FNG
Thanks for the help and insight!
The thread linked below might help. The guy who did this test was also on the Exo podcast. Essentially, the Kifaru, Exo and SG are in a league of their own and a lot of choosing between the three comes down to personal preferences. Kuiu should give up on making packs, and Mystery Ranch is okay. I don't have experience with Kuiu or Kifaru, but it aligns with my opinions and experience with the other three.

z987k

WKR
Last fall Stone Glacier was generous enough to sponsor the Rokslide Sheep Photo Contest with their Xcurve Frame and Sky 5900 bag as the grand prize. Aubrey's limited entry ram from last year took top honors as voted by the membership.

rJJOyFS.jpg

When the box arrived, the first thing that caught me by surprise was how small it was.

zJuUdSy.jpg

The compressibility of the bag and frame is very impressive for a 5900ci combo.

2iideJ8.jpg

Getting the pack in January meant that it would be used primarily as a ski pack until spring bear season kicked off.

3hMBQut.jpg

When spring finally hit my youngest decided it was time to fire up the bait stand again. The load shelf on the Xcurve is absolutely perfect for hauling bags of dog food and the Sky 5900 compresses down so small it hardly takes up any space in the stand.

Ufo6GOo.jpg

As much as I have grown to love the Sky 5900 as a 1-3 day and extended solo pack, it wasn't quite up to the task of my 7-10 hunts with family in tow. Insert the Sky Guide 7900, this pack is humongous!

xCepgQR.jpg

This year is going to be another monster for us with everything from youth sheep season in early August to guiding in late September. Follow along as I'l be reviewing the frame in conjunction with the Sky 5900 and Sky Guide 7900.

Lastly, thank you to Stone Glacier for supplying the packs, great customer service and having killer shipping speeds!
How did it do for skiing? Can you strap skis on both sides easily?

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very easy to strap skis, splitboards, snowboards.. or basically anything else to the Sky series.

Was hoping you’d chime in. I’ve been all over the place on skis with the pack but I’ve never strapped my skis to it specifically. Everything else has been easy to attach though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard

FNG
I ended up with a SG 5900 and was lucky enough to pack out a bull with it. I love the way the pack fits and it did a great job with heavy weight. The only thing I feel the pack needs is a side pocket.