Stone Glacier verdict?

hunting1

WKR
So now many hunts have unfolded what is the verdict on Stone Glacier packs? I am thinking about adding the 3300, thanks for your reviews. As for me I have owned most of the Kifaru G1, G2, MR Not Nice frame, Badlands, Horn Hunter, Kelty, and a few others. Love my Siwash but like the specs on the SG for my hunting style interests me.

I to have owned every brand pack on the planet. Lets see 3 kifarus, 2 mystery ranches, tenzing, badlands, blacks creek oregon pack works on and pn, Before season this year I bought a stone glacier solo. I used this pack in three different wilderness areas this year. Total time out in the field was 28 days. I also helped pack out one six point bull with the stone glacier. I can tell you it lives up to every expectation you've heard. Organization is great. When loaded with a 80 pound elk hind quarter and hiking it out through down timber I have never seen a pack carry a heavy load like the stone glacier. The other two guys in the hunting party are selling their badlands 4500 and buying stone glaciers after seeing how well it handled a heavy load. I kid you not that 80 pounds felt like 35. The waist belt never shifted or slid down. This pack is solid.

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I love my SG Terminus as well. I had 30 days in the field this year with the vast majority of them living out of the pack. I packed out a moose (spike), two caribou, and two Mt Goats with it so I have a good feel for it. Personally I like the load shelf and minimalist design. Packing out a moose quarter on the meat shelf and quite a bit of gear in the main bag was no more miserable than any other moose pack out. Same thing with an entire billy in it. It handles a big load very well. The ability to completely secure a load with all the straps is outstanding. I never had a load shift.

The only drawbacks I note as the same as Yellowknife posted in his review. The way the lid hangs when the pack is empty and the tendency of the outer belt to twist when you take it on and off. Both are minor in my opinion.

I also like the rifle carrier. After I figured out how to use it properly it worked perfectly.

Shane

muleman

WKR
I am a SG fan also. Not quite ready to part with the Duplex frame and DT1 bag. I believe I will sell the DT3 bag and lid though.

I have packed a mountain goat and mule deer so far with the potential to pack up to 8 elk between now and February. By early spring I should have a solid opinion.

For day use or scouting over nighters the Approach bag is my favorite pack.

I have no idea how many days in the field my pack has on it now. Was acquired as a well used demo pack, and my dad and I have WELL over 50 days on it in the last six months. It just spent another week in the mud, brush, and pouring rain of the Alaska Pen. Unfortunately my dad likes it so much that he has "neglected" to return it too me since I loaned it too him in July for sheep hunting! I remind him at least once a week that I want it back, but somehow he's always using it. At this point, I thinking I'd better be getting a new one under the Christmas tree. :)

Anyway, if there are construction or design issues, we will find them at some point. Thus far... all good. It's a Terminus bag, but it compresses well enough that it has at least as many days being used as a day pack as we do living out of it.

I went over the nitpicky stuff in this review: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...acier-Mid-Term-Review&highlight=stone+glacier

Since I wrote that it's spent at least two more weeks in the field. It's not overbuilt like a Mystery Ranch bag, but it has very few possible failure points just by nature of it's simplicity.

I like it.

Yk

stephen b

WKR
The SG packs are the real deal. Well thought out and designed by a hunter who has used packs.

No extra fluff- but still enough organization and power to get the job done.

Derek0525

WKR
I'm pleased with the Solo super light and packs weight well probably gonna buy the terminus bag for next year though for packing in.

Also need to mention Kurt's customer service, he will happily go out of his way to make sure the pack fits good and will answer any questions you have.

InDeep

WKR
I know this a cosmetic thing but , why don't they offer in camo? I like my hunting gear to look like hunting gear ..I do know its a cosmetic thing , but I really don't like grey. These packs look and sound like they are killer packs , just hope that they come out with some earth tones or even Camo!

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Cosmetic camo is simply that. I killed two elk in solid colors last year, and i believe camo does more for us than for keeping us concealed.

That said, i like Kryptek patterns and like it on a pack. Coyote is another favorite, but the SG grey is a good choice as well. Neutral and stays hidden well imo.

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
My Stone Glacier Terminus was bombproof for me for over 30 days of antelope and archery elk here in Colorado.

I shot my first bull about 2 miles as the crow flies in over 1500 ft of vertical about made 2 trips with my elk to get the meat out.

I deboned the meat and laid the pack flat, inserted the meat into the bag and strapped down as I got higher on the pack. I kept more meat higher up on the pack which really helped with the trip.

It was heavy as all heck, over 100 pounds easy each trip but the pack did its job. I was just not in the best shape to do this but I'll work on my cardio for next year.

Re the lid when empty, I experienced this too to cinched it down super tight and it did not droop as I first experienced.

I had my Glock 20 SF on the right side of the hip belt and never had any issues with comfort.

On the left side, I had about 10 pounds of camera gear.

Washing the bag was simple. Just took the bloody bag off the frame and put both in the washer with some Nikwax detergent. Cane out perfect.

I too love how minimalistic the pack is.

Additionally, I had about 65 pounds of backpacking and camera gear on multiple hunts and carried it for miles of backcountry while spike camping.

I've only used a Badlands Ox before for this type of hunting and this blows that one away in my opinion. Just way lighter and more comfortable.

Rudy

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382314496.947821.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382314561.465596.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382314599.180843.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382314643.363933.jpg

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you do small increments with opposite hands to the side you are pulling it can be accomplished. I prefer center pull too, but it can still work.

ckleeves

WKR
Have you guys experimented with running the tag ends of the belt back through the slide (that might not be the correct name)? It doesn't loosen as easily as a power pull type belt but it basically turns it into one and one you get the hang of it it works pretty much the same. I do this with both my Dragon Slayer and my SG Solo and it works great.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Cosmetic camo is simply that. I killed two elk in solid colors last year, and i believe camo does more for us than for keeping us concealed.

That said, i like Kryptek patterns and like it on a pack. Coyote is another favorite, but the SG grey is a good choice as well. Neutral and stays hidden well imo.

I agree 100%...still can't believe I paid extra for the Kryptek...though it does look good, I don't think it'll actually make me any sneakier to the animals, nor do I think there will be a time when foliage would have busted an animal while having it in Kryptek Highlander would have saved the day...but it does look good. ;)

If the complaints are about the color and the direction of the belt pull.... I'd say that's pretty darn good. Those are like #48 and #52 on the list of things I consider when pack shopping. In other words... Pretty far down my personal order of importance.

Although for the record, gray is my preferred color. :)

Yk