Stone Glacier verdict?

Ironman8

WKR
sreekers, how's that pack review coming along? Looked for it but didn't see it...

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Early December it will be posted on 24hourcampfire, possibly the front page article for a while. I will be shipping out the final copy in the next 24 hours.

tttoadman

WKR
I have been roaming on this forum for a while, but this is my first post.

I have the SG3300. I was fortunate to be able to go to Bozeman and see it and get fitted by the guys there. I can pack for a 10 day hunt including gun and get around 60lb. I wanted the smaller bag to help minimize the day pack size. I use the main bag for all of my basic items so the packing is relatively repeatable no matter where I go or how long. I strap 10L ultralight dry bags to the sides and top of the bag as reqd to carry my bulk food and water. The other benefit to this is when you load up the meat bag, these dry bags can be moved forward onto the meat bag keeping the weight forward as much as possible. One of the big selling points for me is the 2" belt that can easily be loaded up(water bottle, shooting sticks, camera, rangefinder, folding knife, ammo holder).

I have put miles on this bag, and it is tough as nails. As the day goes on, I actually don't even notice it is there.

My only complaints:
BIG ONE: I am sort of whimpy in the shoulders. I can't shoulder my gun to do a quick look with my binos because there is nothing on the bag to hook to. I threw Kurt a PM to see if he had any inquiries about this. I was trying to figure out if there was a way to add a small ?? at the top of the frame.

Second: I hunted all day in solid rain and the top of the bag leaked. I know it is "waterproof/water resistent material", but the water was literally puddled on the top of the bag. It finally soaked through by the end of the day. I assume some waterproofing spray or other treatmant would make that top a little more durable to excessive rain like I experienced. I thought an easy fix would be to take one of my dry bags and pull it over the top of the bag in heavy rain.

My conclusion: I needed an upgrade. I could have bought one of the cheaper framed packs and saved a few hundred bucks. After having this bag in the woods, I am thrilled with my decision.

Ironman8

WKR
ttt,

Any chance you took pics of your 10 day setup with all the dry bags attached (I assume you have pretty light/low volume gear to be able to fit 10 days)? Also have you packed out any meat yet with your full load and the meat in the load shelf?

It sounds like your goal for the bag mirrors what I want to do. I think if using the load shelf method for packing meat, you would want to limit the size of the bag on the other side of that meat. Also, I really don't like the idea of a huge pack for daypack/hunt mode...

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As far as the hooks go, not quite sure what you are looking for, but the only piece of kit I know that does quick release from the shoulders is Kifaru's gun bearer.

As far as leaking, well any bag that is made of cordura will eventually wet out. X-pac is the only material I know that won't, but it comes with a noise and little bit of cost penalty.

tttoadman

WKR
ttt,

Any chance you took pics of your 10 day setup with all the dry bags attached (I assume you have pretty light/low volume gear to be able to fit 10 days)? Also have you packed out any meat yet with your full load and the meat in the load shelf?

It sounds like your goal for the bag mirrors what I want to do. I think if using the load shelf method for packing meat, you would want to limit the size of the bag on the other side of that meat. Also, I really don't like the idea of a huge pack for daypack/hunt mode...

I am loading up for a weekend spike out right now. I will load it up and take a few pics. My earlier setup used a couple of those green "hump bags" on the sides, but I am able to cut some wt using the dry bags on all 3 sides. I have not hauled meat out with it yet. I have downed one elk since i got it, and I didn't end up boning it out because it was relatively close to camp. I didn't want to put bones in the bag and tear it up.

Bobmuley

FNG
I've slid the topside straps of the lid (the ones by your head) through the load lifter straps. It keeps the lid on the frame pretty good when empty and doesn't tweak the load lifter straps.

Also, you'll likely see some positive things come from Kurt regarding the belt twisting.
I did the same thing, but then made two "keyhole" slots through the front flap of the top pocket that the load lifter straps go through. Quick slice and sew. No more problems.

Only one big load on the Terminus so far, but it's the best damn pack I've owned.

My only complaints:
BIG ONE: I am sort of whimpy in the shoulders. I can't shoulder my gun to do a quick look with my binos because there is nothing on the bag to hook to. I threw Kurt a PM to see if he had any inquiries about this. I was trying to figure out if there was a way to add a small ?? at the top of the frame.

I haven't had this problem. The straps are thin enough that I can carry my gun on a shoulder sling without issue. It's not as handy as hanging it from the horn of my frame pack, but it's never been a big deal either. Not sure what might help you there. Maybe sew a fat button on the top edge of the shoulder strap?

Second: I hunted all day in solid rain and the top of the bag leaked. I know it is "waterproof/water resistent material", but the water was literally puddled on the top of the bag. It finally soaked through by the end of the day. I assume some waterproofing spray or other treatmant would make that top a little more durable to excessive rain like I experienced. I thought an easy fix would be to take one of my dry bags and pull it over the top of the bag in heavy rain.

Cordura is only "resistant" and will soak through regardless of the brand of pack. Waterproof spray only helps for a short time. I either keep everything important in small waterproof sacks, or just use a pack cover over the whole thing. The pack cover I currently have is Outdoor Research and is made of sil-nylon. Just pops over the whole bag and keeps everything pretty dry.

Here's a picture of it on the SG this year.

tttoadman

WKR
I haven't had this problem. The straps are thin enough that I can carry my gun on a shoulder sling without issue. It's not as handy as hanging it from the horn of my frame pack, but it's never been a big deal either. Not sure what might help you there. Maybe sew a fat button on the top edge of the shoulder strap?

Cordura is only "resistant" and will soak through regardless of the brand of pack. Waterproof spray only helps for a short time. I either keep everything important in small waterproof sacks, or just use a pack cover over the whole thing. The pack cover I currently have is . Just pops over the whole bag and keeps everything pretty dry.

Here's a picture of it on the SG this year.

That sounds good. I wasn't sure what to expect and got caught out there with nothing to help me. Pretty sad when my skinny ass is only a couple inches wider than a SG frame. Maybe I better hit the Gym!! I will go get a cover before we head to Idaho in a couple weeks.

muleman

WKR
My only complaints:

I have a little bit of experience with both of your complaints and Stone Glacier. Here is what I did:

I haven't used the Stone Glacier Weapon Sling or my Kifaru Gunbearer with this pack. When packing in and not needing the gun handy; I would strap the rifle or muzzleloader under the compression straps. This held the guns close and steady but not quickly accessible. When hunting and I was having trouble with the sling staying on my shoulder I would run the chest strap over the sling. When things got really crazy I found by accident that my rifle sling would slip over one of the pack frame "horns". I was able do a lot of cliff climbing with the sling over the horn without worry of the sling slipping off and my gun falling off the cliff.

As for water, just like Yellowknife said use a pack cover. I hunted in a lot of rain, sleet and snow so far this year. When it gets wet I take along a pack cover. Mine is an Eberelestock and it stretches big enough that I can cover my pack and gun. Another option is a use a backpack style poncho.

tttoadman

WKR
I have a little bit of experience with both of your complaints and Stone Glacier. Here is what I did:

I haven't used the Stone Glacier Weapon Sling or my Kifaru Gunbearer with this pack. When packing in and not needing the gun handy; I would strap the rifle or muzzleloader under the compression straps. This held the guns close and steady but not quickly accessible. When hunting and I was having trouble with the sling staying on my shoulder I would run the chest strap over the sling. When things got really crazy I found by accident that my rifle sling would slip over one of the pack frame "horns". I was able do a lot of cliff climbing with the sling over the horn without worry of the sling slipping off and my gun falling off the cliff.

As for water, just like Yellowknife said use a pack cover. I hunted in a lot of rain, sleet and snow so far this year. When it gets wet I take along a pack cover. Mine is an Eberelestock and it stretches big enough that I can cover my pack and gun. Another option is a use a backpack style poncho.

I have the gun sling, and it works good for packing in. I am a gun in hand kinda guy, so I only use the sling when I am hiking at night. I will stare at it some more tonight when i load it up and see if I can get where you did.

I have both the early version of Kurt's sling and the new one. I also have the Kifaru gun bearer as well.

I had some problems with the early weapon sling doing some funky things that I couldn't solve and Kurt refunded my money for it and told me to keep it. We exchanged a few emails and I gave him my thoughts on how to improve things. The biggest thing of all was the early one would get hung up on the butt and it was difficult to clear it if the rifle was wet. He redid it with wider webbing and a slightly bigger pocket and it works great now.

The Kifaru gun bearer was okay in that it was easy to put the rifle in and out of the sling without taking the pack off, but I didn't like having the rifle barrel in my face.

When I was younger I never even owned a sling, I always had my weapon in my hands, always, it was the way I was raised.

Once I caught onto to the usage of binoculars I needed a way to keep my hands free but have instant access to my rifle. I think the SG weapon sling is an outstanding compromise, rifle is out of the way, hands are free but you have nearly instant access to it.

I did try to use my Safari sling that I had stashed in the garage, but it won't work with a pack on.

Also I lost the upper part for the gun bearer and Kifaru doesn't sell the part separately.

I do suggest that you practice with the SG sling because it is largely dependent on how flexible your shoulders are, you will need to come up with a way of swinging it around that you can do efficiently.

The only times I take the rifle out of the sling is when I hit heavy timber, alder thickets or when I feel the odds of running into a animal are fairly high.

tttoadman

WKR
I packed up my bag showing how I put the side bags on the 3300. I loaded up 10 days worth of food and 6 ltrs of water. This is 60lbs including the gun. The main bag has everything except spotting scope(next year), solar charger(if needed), one more mid layer top. I think I could easily shed 4 ltrs of water for those other items.

As I noted before. The number one goal for me was to be able to add weight by going wider and higher and keeping the CG close to me. The most important thing to me is when the meat shelf is used, these bags stay up front instead of moving away from me with the rest of the bag. You can actually transfer items from the main bag to the dry bags and move the CG even closer in since every day in the field opens up a little space in the dry bags that was used up for food.

Now I have to unload everything and repack for this weekend. Ditching work at noon, 3 hr drive, 3 miles in, hoping to be at spike camp by dark.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 188

Ironman8

WKR
Thanks for those pics toadman! Looks like a good setup and something I'll consider doing as well.

Couple of questions...for the pack in, would it work to strap the two side dry bags into the meat shelf? I'm thinking that would narrow your profile a little in case you're busting brush...

Secondly, would you consider your gear to be light/low volume? Trying to get a feel for the size of the Solo and how much I'll be able to pack in it. Probably won't know unless I get one I guess...

Thanks. And good luck on your hunt!

tttoadman

WKR
Thanks for those pics toadman! Looks like a good setup and something I'll consider doing as well.

Couple of questions...for the pack in, would it work to strap the two side dry bags into the meat shelf? I'm thinking that would narrow your profile a little in case you're busting brush...

Secondly, would you consider your gear to be light/low volume? Trying to get a feel for the size of the Solo and how much I'll be able to pack in it. Probably won't know unless I get one I guess...

Thanks. And good luck on your hunt!

I have had to crash through the Oregon brush with this bag. I think I would have problems with the wider profile. I just can't afford to have an epic fail like I did a few years ago when I had a pack that was built narrow and deep. I am too much of a weeksister to carry a pack like that.

I have a 650fill bag and an AB Copper Spur. These 2 items are not the most efficient, and take up quite a bit of this bag. I just gave up a BA Fly Creek to get the Copper Spur with the side door and a little more room. I hope I don't regret that. I could tell a big difference just packing that bag last night. I could stuff alot of my misc items down the side of the tent before, and now not near as much.

I can easily put everything for a weekend hunt in this bag without any extra bags. Last weekend when I took my Fly Creek and 2 days worth of stuff, the pack with no gun weighed 24lbs and was a breeze to get around with. Unfortunately it was go in light.....come out lighter.

good times. Need to pack and get to bed. Need to go find a Bull this weekend.

jherald

WKR
Grade A on the SG for me. Few minor tweaks are needed, maybe a dedicated internal platypus or camelback compatible hanging bag (I made my own and dont like the recommended placing the bladder between frame and bag, what to do when you load up some meat then?), better rifle sling system, better belt cinch system similar to kifaru. Like others have mentioned though, issues like that are at the bottom of the list for me when it comes to the SG. Overall it's been very good. Took the gear necessary for two sheep hunts and a moose hunt this year all in relative comfort.

tttoadman

WKR
I have had to crash through the Oregon brush with this bag. I think I would have problems with the wider profile. I just can't afford to have an epic fail like I did a few years ago when I had a pack that was built narrow and deep. I am too much of a weeksister to carry a pack like that.

I have a 650fill bag and an AB Copper Spur. These 2 items are not the most efficient, and take up quite a bit of this bag. I just gave up a BA Fly Creek to get the Copper Spur with the side door and a little more room. I hope I don't regret that. I could tell a big difference just packing that bag last night. I could stuff alot of my misc items down the side of the tent before, and now not near as much.

I can easily put everything for a weekend hunt in this bag without any extra bags. Last weekend when I took my Fly Creek and 2 days worth of stuff, the pack with no gun weighed 24lbs and was a breeze to get around with. Unfortunately it was go in light.....come out lighter.

good times. Need to pack and get to bed. Need to go find a Bull this weekend.

Another 15 miles +/- with this pack on. I was hunting in and out for 3 miles with 39lb pack, and it felt great.

Muleman: You were right on the money for hooking my gun on. It took me a little effort, but I can put the gun safely on the horn of the pack frame and the chest strap holds it safely on.

RE Packing: I can tell you that the bigger tent is going in a bag on the side. I have put together a "kill kit" as you guys describe it instead of having things lazily piled in the bag. After putting some real time on this package this year, I can now see smarter ways to pack. I will be putting this copper spur tent on the side instead of in the bag. I can now setup the tent in bad weather without unloading all my gear to get to my tent, and reverse for packing up. Forgive me if this seems obvious. It wasn't to me until I was out there this weekend.