Stone Glacier verdict?

boom

WKR
If the complaints are about the color and the direction of the belt pull.... I'd say that's pretty darn good. Those are like #48 and #52 on the list of things I consider when pack shopping. In other words... Pretty far down my personal order of importance.

Although for the record, gray is my preferred color. :)

Yk

Me too. gray. coyote brown is a very close second. i like non-camo colors ironically because they keep the bag "concealed" from humans at the airport. i think camo gear like bow cases, packs, duffels..just scream, "hey you! i'm full of cool stuff". i avoid it as much as i can. airports have the crappiest security at baggage claim.

Eagle

WKR
The camo craze blows my mind, I alwasy just kind of shake my head in disbelief. I prefer solid colors so the things I use can do double duty for both backpacking and hunting. I save money that way and the products work just as well camo or no. Looking forward to trying one of the SG packs in the spring. Hopefully, it'll fit me better than my standard stay Duplex did.

Benny

FNG
The only drawbacks I note as the same as Yellowknife posted in his review. The way the lid hangs when the pack is empty and the tendency of the outer belt to twist when you take it on and off. Both are minor in my opinion.

Shane

I've slid the topside straps of the lid (the ones by your head) through the load lifter straps. It keeps the lid on the frame pretty good when empty and doesn't tweak the load lifter straps.

Also, you'll likely see some positive things come from Kurt regarding the belt twisting.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I can't figure out how to post photos here from my ^%$#$^& computer but I've got a bunch of them using the SG approach system. Hands down, the best pack that I have ever had. So far this season, I've packed out 3 mule deer and a cow elk and just got back from a backcountry backpacking trip while using just the approach bag and it works great. I would recommend these packs to anyone.

Randy

colonel00

WKR
The camo craze blows my mind, I alwasy just kind of shake my head in disbelief. I prefer solid colors so the things I use can do double duty for both backpacking and hunting. I save money that way and the products work just as well camo or no. Looking forward to trying one of the SG packs in the spring. Hopefully, it'll fit me better than my standard stay Duplex did.

Hmm, so a camo pack wouldn't work for backpacking?? :rolleyes: Sorry, just had to bust your juevos a little. Pretty much the same arguement that a solid pack would work for backpacking but not for hunting. Anyway, I agree that camo isn't necessary but that Kryptek Mandrake sure has me smitten.

I really like the looks of the SG and it's features. But, as with Kifaru, MR and other offerings, it is very tough to make a purchase of something you have never seen in person.

Hmm, so a camo pack wouldn't work for backpacking?? :rolleyes:

I've got a few pieces of camo gear... including at least one camo pack. And they all get used double or triple duty for backpacking and work for sure. Like I said, it's pretty far down the list of things I care about one way or the other. Generally though, I find most camo patterns annoyingly "busy". Like an earth toned Hawaiian shirt. :) So, the tiebreaker goes to the solid color for most stuff if it's available. I might be in a minority in this position though. :)

Yk

Eagle

WKR
Hmm, so a camo pack wouldn't work for backpacking?? :rolleyes: Sorry, just had to bust your juevos a little. Pretty much the same arguement that a solid pack would work for backpacking but not for hunting. Anyway, I agree that camo isn't necessary but that Kryptek Mandrake sure has me smitten.

I really like the looks of the SG and it's features. But, as with Kifaru, MR and other offerings, it is very tough to make a purchase of something you have never seen in person.

In can work for both no doubt, but when given the choice, I'd rather not have to worry about getting harrased by some bunny hugger while I'm on a scouting or fishing trip over having a "hunting" backpack.

Forget the whole camo backpack thing. Im trying(keyword trying :) ) to get to the point of not buying anything hunting related that won't help me drop that big ram. If it costs more money without any benefit i try and stay away from it. With that being said i would have a hard time not buying a black colored backpack. Major bloodstains, dirt grime, and abuse don't show nearly as bad compared to other colors. I love my black barneys bag for that reason especially. So any really dark colored backpacks have my vote.

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a few pieces of camo gear... including at least one camo pack. And they all get used double or triple duty for backpacking and work for sure. Like I said, it's pretty far down the list of things I care about one way or the other. Generally though, I find most camo patterns annoyingly "busy". Like an earth toned Hawaiian shirt. :) So, the tiebreaker goes to the solid color for most stuff if it's available. I might be in a minority in this position though. :)

Yk

I share your philosophy YK.

I am unabashedly anti camo. That's not to say I don't own a few possessions of camo gear, but my goal is to completely replace and eliminate any piece of camo gear that I currently own. Maybe I am a bit of a non-conformist, but frankly, the overly commercialized aspects of the hunting industry make me sick, and the camo/clothing companies epitomize the problem of being overly commercialized.

Ironman8

WKR
I share your philosophy YK.

I am unabashedly anti camo. That's not to say I don't own a few possessions of camo gear, but my goal is to completely replace and eliminate any piece of camo gear that I currently own. Maybe I am a bit of a non-conformist, but frankly, the overly commercialized aspects of the hunting industry make me sick, and the camo/clothing companies epitomize the problem of being overly commercialized.

So you're saying it's not worth the markup for camo long johns??? ;)

I have experienced the camp "look" before. I had a call Kifaru and used to take it on day and weekend hikes. Would always get some strange looks like I was GI Joe or something. Not that I really care what others think but the have since gone back to Foliage packs. For the extra money camp costs I can add a piece of gear I could use?

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I have two pairs of camo firstlite boxers... :)

Mike

I've got three pairs of camo. Would have preferred solids but not available where and when I bought them. Not quite sure why I need camo boxers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
So you're saying it's not worth the markup for camo long johns??? ;)

thanks..thanks alot!! i just blew hot coffee out my nose!! hahah.
what is really gross is when White undies look Camo after a week of hard wearing..(on the insides;))

cwh

Lil-Rokslider
The Terminus is absolutely a keeper for me. I have a few nitpicks, which will mostly be fixed by the Access bag or spotting scope pocket.

I haven't hauled that much dead stuff in it yet, but it certainly worked for what I did haul. I certainly could tell I was lighter and more compact hauling in and day hunting out of the SG than I was out of the Barneys. Once you are loaded up with meat, it packed it well, even if I had it loaded to capacity+.

Aesthetics can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make them, but keep in mind that any pack with sheep horns poking out of it is going to look GOOD.

muleman

WKR
Aesthetics can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make them, but keep in mind that any pack with sheep horns poking out of it is going to look GOOD.

Good point. You only need to drop 20 to 40 grand to look good with any pack.