Stone Glacier vs WM?

Planning on getting a 15 degree bag.. looking for opinions between SG and WM...

WM is made in USA, and I like that you can send you bag in after 10+ years of use to get refurbished, down added, etc..

SG is a little cheaper, slightly colder ratings, but they list their dimensions in diameter (I assume?) vs cirumference, so its hard to tell the size difference, and I never hear any complaints about them...

I'm curious if its worth saving a little money and getting the SG, or if i should buy the WM?

At $75 difference between the two(Chilkoot vs Versalite), I'm going WM every time.

No offense to SG, but two things:

Western Mountaineering has been making top tier bags for decades. They're located in California where you can send your bag back for repairs, to have it overstuffed, refurbished, etc.

The biggest draw for me, however, is that SG bags are foreign made, and the WM bags are made right here in the USA. That alone is worth $75 to me. Let's face it, if you've got $550 to drop on a sleeping bag, I don't think $75 is going to make or break you or your purchase... at least that's how I feel about it.

Also, if you order from Hermits Hut you can get free overfill on the WM bags(last time I checked, anyway).

C.payne

WKR
Another vote for Western Mountaineering. I have the Antelope MF and the Megalite. USA made and also different length options. I’m sure SG bags are great but I’m a short ass and packing around extra sleeping bag that is not needed makes zero sense to me.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Remember, temp ratings are not standardized. Down FP and amount is more useful in comparing manufacturers.

WM probably has the better design, if there is a functional difference in that area.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with WM but have had the SG 15 degree for about a year. Temp rate seems about right and they have great customer service. I am 6’2” so I like the extra length of the SG.

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
I have the WM Versalite. Zero complaints, and no reason to look for another cold weather bag.

archp625

WKR
Planning on getting a 15 degree bag.. looking for opinions between SG and WM...

WM is made in USA, and I like that you can send you bag in after 10+ years of use to get refurbished, down added, etc..

SG is a little cheaper, slightly colder ratings, but they list their dimensions in diameter (I assume?) vs cirumference, so its hard to tell the size difference, and I never hear any complaints about them...

I'm curious if its worth saving a little money and getting the SG, or if i should buy the WM?
Get the Badger and be done with it. WM is the top of the top of line. I have taken mine down to zero and was fine.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a 15 degree WM Badger. I went with the MF (micro-fiber). It is THE very best bag I have ever owned (and I've owned a lot). I wish I had bought it years ago...it would have actually saved me a bunch of money.
I think most people that have one would agree . If I had one bag , that would be it

WM hands down. No experience with the SG, but I have an Antelope Super Dryloft that's roughly 20 years old. Best sleeping bag I've ever owned, hands down. Used it down to -10 below with down pants and jacket added. Plenty warm.

hikenhunt

WKR
No experience with SG but I've had two WM bags and both are top quality and spot on for temp rating.

I have a SG 15 and my buddy I hunt with has WM Badger. They both work well for their rating...I am 6'3" so I like the extra length of the SG, plus i got it $100 bucks off, and IIRC the SG is a couple onces lighter.....YMMV

For those saying WM over SG and its not even close, I'm curious what specifics you are talking about? I have used both and now using a Feathered Friends. Besides made in USA the one thing I like WM or FF over SG is I like a full length zip, baffles that are horizontal (so I can move down around) and different lengths as SG comes in basically a long size.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I really like my western mountaineering badger, it’s been my go to for the past 3 years. If I was buying a new bag I’d be getting another western mountaineering or a feathered friends. I personally wouldn’t be interested in any other bags.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
Tough choice... I love my Chilkoot because of the cut and length. I’m 6’3, 225 lbs and toss and turn at night. The Chilkoot has been an excellent combo of warmth, space, and packability for it‘s length.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
WM Microfiber is more water repellent and breathable than most shells. It creates a broader comfort range. The footbox is larger in WM. The zipper in WM is smooth and doesn't catch. Draft collars, are oversized and very effective. lots of things, WM does as well or better than anybody make it a great bag