Stone Glacier's Grumman Goose Down Jacket Review

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Stone glacier has launched their technical apparel this year specifically designed for the back-country hunter and the Grumman goose down jacket is defiantly the favorite around the 1 Shot office.

When you first pick up the Grumman Jacket the first thing you will notice is that this thing is light, like crazy light. Weighing in at only 11.8 oz this jacket feels like when you drop it that it should float to the floor like a feather. The Pertex® Quantum shell feels paper thin and coupled with how light it is made me question the durability of the jacket. But let me tell you that I have worn this jacket every day skiing, snow shoeing, ice fishing and as my everyday jacket for the past three months and this jacket took it all in stride. The jackets Pertex® Quantum shell and HyperDRY™ 850+ Fill Power DWR treated down has made this jacket the warmest down jacket that I have ever owned. I still would take it off before pushing think timber and put it way in its stuff sack that comes with it. The stuff sack it made from the same Shell as the jacket and with jacket inside is an 8 by 4 by 4inch square that can easily fit in your pack. This jacket has everything you can expect from a Stone Glacier product and it has defiantly proven itself enough to give it a permanent place in my back-country pack.

puffy.jpg

Last edited:

MtnMuley

WKR
You say this 11.8 oz puffy is the warmest down jacket you've ever owned. Have you ever owned the Super Down Pro?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stone glacier has launched their technical apparel this year specifically designed for the back-country hunter and the Grumman goose down jacket is defiantly the favorite around the 1 Shot office.

When you first pick up the Grumman Jacket the first thing you will notice is that this thing is light, like crazy light. Weighing in at only 11.8 oz this jacket feels like when you drop it that it should float to the floor like a feather. The Pertex Quantum shell feels paper thin and coupled with how light it is made me question the durability of the jacket. But let me tell you that I have worn this jacket every day skiing, snow shoeing, ice fishing and as my everyday jacket for the past three months and this jacket took it all in stride. The jackets Pertex Quantum shell and HyperDRY 850+ Fill Power DWR treated down has made this jacket the warmest down jacket that I have ever owned. I still would take it off before pushing think timber and put it way in its stuff sack that comes with it. The stuff sack it made from the same Shell as the jacket and with jacket inside is an 8 by 4 by 4inch square that can easily fit in your pack. This jacket has everything you can expect from a Stone Glacier product and it has defiantly proven itself enough to give it a permeant place in my back-country pack.

Do you have any in the shop to check out?

You say this 11.8 oz puffy is the warmest down jacket you've ever owned. Have you ever owned the Super Down Pro?

I have both and I find the SG to be much warmer than the Kuiu even though they're similar weight and fill. Not sure if it's the fabric and it stops the winder better, or what. I feel the SG hugs your waist tighter for some reason, so much so that I instantly noticed it when I first put it on. I also feel like their cuff design keeps the breeze out better.

We had 30º weather here last week, I could wear my SG with a T-Shirt underneath and be warm. My Super Down I still needed a thin fleece layer.

Just based on specs the Stone Glacier will be warmer. The super down pro has 141 grams of down insulation compared to Stone Glacer has 150 grams of down insulation.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
How is it for losing feathers? I always worry when I see 15D for the face weight or less. I've never owned the super down pro but its a 30D. The 12D on the Kuiu ultra definitely loses down with use. The only lightweight jacket that I've own that hardly ever losses feathers is the MH Ghost whisper that's 10D.

Last edited:
OP
1shotgear

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you have any in the shop to check out?
I do have a few in store and on our online store for sale. Sorry forgot to insert the link when I made the post. I'm descent at hunting but bad at computers. Thanks for putting up with me.

OP
1shotgear

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How is it for losing feathers? I always worry when I see 15D for the face weight or less. I've never owned the super down pro put its a 30D. The 12D on the Kuiu ultra definitely losses down with use. The only lightweight jacket that I've own that hardly ever losses feathers is the MH Ghost whisper that 10D.
The four of us at the office have been running this jacket almost everyday since the first of the year and only one of us have found a feather. He said it came out when he hit his left arm with his long bow string and he just pulled it the rest of the way out.
Hope that helps

How is it for losing feathers? I always worry when I see 15D for the face weight or less. I've never owned the super down pro but its a 30D. The 12D on the Kuiu ultra definitely loses down with use. The only lightweight jacket that I've own that hardly ever losses feathers is the MH Ghost whisper that's 10D.

I actually just found my first real "loss" while inspecting the jacket to respond to this.

The "root" of the feather seems to have punctured the fabric on the underside of the arm near the armpit.

IMG_1143.jpg

MT_Wyatt

WKR

It’s been better than any down jacket I’ve ever owned, no bs. Maybe I just got a good one. Made me a bigger fan of that pertex fabric for sure.

I actually just found my first real "loss" while inspecting the jacket to respond to this.

The "root" of the feather seems to have punctured the fabric on the underside of the arm near the armpit.

View attachment 91981
I have both and I find the SG to be much warmer than the Kuiu even though they're similar weight and fill. Not sure if it's the fabric and it stops the winder better, or what. I feel the SG hugs your waist tighter for some reason, so much so that I instantly noticed it when I first put it on. I also feel like their cuff design keeps the breeze out better.

We had 30º weather here last week, I could wear my SG with a T-Shirt underneath and be warm. My Super Down I still needed a thin fleece layer.

I also have the super down pro and really like it but thought it would be a hair warmer. My question is the 15D pertex fabric real noisy or I should say a lot noiser than the 30D stretch super down pro face fabric?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am still looking for "THE" puffy for 90% of my hunting. I just ordered this one. I will post up my thoughts when I get some miles on it. Oh, and don't till Tanya you about this post. She's about ready to make me sleep outside with my other puffy's:)

***UPDATE***

I contacted SG late last night about sending my jacket in for repair, Kurt responded within an hour and I was going to ship the jacket back for investigation today.

I hung the jacket last night and much to my surprise the hole had legitimately disappeared over night somehow...I updated Kurt this AM and he said the following: "Actually, the fabric is designed to do exactly that, closing back up is part of the "downproof" feature of the fabric and yarn. In the the unlikely event of a puncture, the yarn does not break or tear, but rather the individual yarns separate allowing them to re-align after the puncture."

I do not know what kind of sorcery this is, but my 1/32" hole is actually gone. I put my jacket under my workbench lamp and went over the area with a magnifying glass and I cannot find so much as a trace of the hole that was there 12 hours ago. Assuming this is a legitimate design feature as stated by SG, I am amazed.

When I punctured my first (and second) ultra the only option was to tape them up until the replacement arrived. I still have one in the closet with tape on the arm.

I am completely sold on this jacket now, and I will likely order another one for destruction testing and two as gifts.

My question is the 15D pertex fabric real noisy or I should say a lot noiser than the 30D stretch super down pro face fabric?

I have the original model of Super Down from Giru or whatever it was called. I am not sure which version you have so I don't know if we're talking apples to apples, I haven't followed the Kuiu evolutions closely.

I actually find the SG to be quieter when moving. I don't know why, but both my Ultra's and my Super Down sound like corn-chips when trying to get them stuffed/unstuffed, and are noticeably "swishy" when moving in them. The SG still has that synthetic "swish" sound to it, but I feel like it's less noticeable than the Super.

I'd say the noise levels go: Ultra >> Super >= SG

Last edited:
***UPDATE***

I contacted SG late last night about sending my jacket in for repair, Kurt responded within an hour and I was going to ship the jacket back for investigation today.

I hung the jacket last night and much to my surprise the hole had legitimately disappeared over night somehow...I updated Kurt this AM and he said the following: "Actually, the fabric is designed to do exactly that, closing back up is part of the "downproof" feature of the fabric and yarn. In the the unlikely event of a puncture, the yarn does not break or tear, but rather the individual yarns separate allowing them to re-align after the puncture."

I do not know what kind of sorcery this is, but my 1/32" hole is actually gone. I put my jacket under my workbench lamp and went over the area with a magnifying glass and I cannot find so much as a trace of the hole that was there 12 hours ago. Assuming this is a legitimate design feature as stated by SG, I am amazed.

When I punctured my first (and second) ultra the only option was to tape them up until the replacement arrived. I still have one in the closet with tape on the arm.

I am completely sold on this jacket now, and I will likely order another one for destruction testing and two as gifts.

I have the original model of Super Down from Giru or whatever it was called. I am not sure which version you have so I don't know if we're talking apples to apples, I haven't followed the Kuiu evolutions closely.

I actually find the SG to be quieter when moving. I don't know why, but both my Ultra's and my Super Down sound like corn-chips when trying to get them stuffed/unstuffed, and are noticeably "swishy" when moving in them. The SG still has that synthetic "swish" sound to it, but I feel like it's less noticeable than the Super.

I'd say the noise levels go: Ultra >> Super >= SG

Man really appreciate the detailed response. I have the latest super down pro purchased 3 months ago. The fabric is noticeably quieter than the ultra. has a softer feel and is stretchy. I think its the same face fabric they use in the KUIU synthetic Kieni jacket. MY isues is i feel it should be a tad warmer for having 5.0 oz of down in it.

I think its the same face fabric they use in the KUIU synthetic Kieni jacket. MY isues is i feel it should be a tad warmer for having 5.0 oz of down in it.

My 2 Y/O Kenai is almost dead silent. Assuming your Super Down has the same face fabric, then I would guess that it will be quieter than the SG. Not by much, but in a "almost completely unnoticeable" vs. "slightly noticeable" kind of way.

I do not think it would be a significant enough difference to matter unless you're moving and within bow range. I base that off of walking up on a group of does in my corn-chip crinkly Ultra last year at ~100 yards unnoticed. Probably irrelevant, as I don't think many of us actively hunt-hike in a puffy.

I do not feel like my Kenai blocks the wind at all, which is probably why your Super Down seems less warm than it "should", if it does in-fact have the same face fabric. We haven't had much wind lately, but I have a constant morning breeze coming off Lake Washington at 2-5 MPH. I run cold, and from observation while fishing I feel that even the slight breeze cuts straight through my Ultra, is slightly noticeable in my Super, but I cannot feel it at all in my SG.

If I wear my Super or Ultra, I have to put a shell over the top to cut significant wind. I have not been able to test the SG under such conditions yet, but I feel like it will do much better based on my observations/comparisons to this point, and the fact that it has the most fill-power of these three jackets.

I almost bought the newer Super Down, but when I compared fill-power and cost ($70 in favor of SG), I am impressed and pleased with my purchase so far. My only long-term concern is it's waterproofness compared to the Quix-Down, but then again who wears their puffy as an outer-layer in the rain?

Hope that helps!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The ultra & super down, as well as the Kenai products both use that Toray stunner stretch fabric. The ultra down is softer and quieter than the original superdown, because the face fabric isn’t coated, it’s heated/melted a bit according to Kuiu. I’d guess that same thing is done with the supderdown pro, but I don’t own one so I don’t know.

Quieter is always nice. I certainly don’t find the SG puffy all that loud. My Kuiu ultra down jacket bleeds a feather literally every time I put it on. I still like it though, for the right layering application.

I almost bought the newer Super Down, but when I compared fill-power and cost ($70 in favor of SG), I am impressed and pleased with my purchase so far. My only long-term concern is it's waterproofness compared to the Quix-Down, but then again who wears their puffy as an outer-layer in the rain?

Hope that helps!

This is some good banter that hopefully also helps some others. So...
I had the same concern as you as far as Quix-down versus the hyperdry. I know that both use nano tech for the process to treat the down. I will try to find some testing or more info to get some comparisons.

wildcat33

WKR
***UPDATE***

Dark arts indeed. Did stone glacier make a deal with the devil?