sub $300 rifle scope recommendations?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Leupold updates its scope lines in a confusing way. The VX-II and VX-III lines were totally different than the old Vari-X II and Vari-X III lines, with the Vari-X IIs being the ones with the friction turrets.

The VX-2 was again different than the VX-II, and the VX-2 actually used the same design technology of the previous VX-III, and easily outperforms the old Vari-X III.

The VX-3 was all new and improved over any of the previous Vari-X and VX- II/III lines.

The Mark 4 lines followed the evolution of Vari-X III to VX-III to VX-3 technology without changing names at all.

Confusing for sure.

The VX-2, VX-3, and Mark 4 designs are all good optical performers, but they all suffer from some variable eye relief.

The VX-6 (another all new line with a 6x erector), has constant eye relief and excellent optical performance, but is way over $300.

I like Vortex riflescopes. The Diamondback scopes offer a lot of performance for their price, and are covered by an excellent warranty. The Viper 3-9X40 is a great scope and available under $300.

I also think the VX-2 is a good option.

Zeiss Conquest scopes are some of my favorites as well, but over the price range.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, the Meopta Meopro at around $400 is a fantastic riflescope, but kind of heavy and the eyepiece is big.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Thanks for the educated input as always BB, it will certainly help with my decision

worx53

WKR
Try a Bushnell rainguard. I have Zeiss, Leupold, Burris, Nikon and more, but was super impressed with a rainguard when up in Maine in the snow and rain and while everyone else was cleaning lenses and cursing about not seeing s%** through there scopes...you could shoot with his just fine. I now have a few of them and for the $$$ can't be beat imo

loner

FNG
I have nothing but good things to say about Leupold.

Have a 4x12 vari-x II went off a steep canyon wall with me bent the tube bad but still worked just fine even in the rain. Gun still shot right were she was sighted for.
Killed a muley blacktail cross the next day with it at 365 yards. Mailed it in and back the same week. They put a new tube on it no cost.

In 2011 had a old 1971 model 3x9 stop adjusting for elevation (Grease got hard) mailed it in on Friday back on Tuesday.

This year slid down the hill with my pack on busted my 25x50 gold ring spoting scope. Mailed it in back in three days.

When I go hunting I go with Leupold.

Loner

bobhunts

WKR
Check out the new line of rifle scopes by Zeiss. The "Terra" line. Very affordable and great glass for the money. They also have Binos in this line-up priced at under $400 for 10X42 I believe in ED glass..looked at those when they first came out. I picked up the 4-12X42 with duplex reticle at Cabelas bargain cave for $320.00 because they lost the container ( Plastic box) they come in. Original price was only $449.00. BTW I have never had a problem with any of the Leupolds I own. Bob.