Suggestions for priming tools

Dr Evil

FNG
I have primed many a round with old style Lee Autoprime. I broke the handle on the last one I had recently, and I'm looking for hand priming tools you've had good experience with. I bought the RCBS Hand Priming Tool Model: 90200 at least a decade ago and with large primers (and the appropriate "Large Primer Rod Link" It just doesn't seem to seat primers deep enough. I even had RCBS send me another one but it still just doesn't seem to seat them deep enough (to where it's visible and will wobble on a flat surface). I am also using RCBS shellholders in this case.

I pretty much gave up on that tool unless someone has suggestions to possibly fix my user error OR even better suggestions for other priming tools you've had good luck with

Lemhi

FNG

Get on the list and go hard… best priming tool available.

I have primed many a round with old style Lee Autoprime. I broke the handle on the last one I had recently, and I'm looking for hand priming tools you've had good experience with. I bought the RCBS Hand Priming Tool Model: 90200 at least a decade ago and with large primers (and the appropriate "Large Primer Rod Link" It just doesn't seem to seat primers deep enough. I even had RCBS send me another one but it still just doesn't seem to seat them deep enough (to where it's visible and will wobble on a flat surface). I am also using RCBS shellholders in this case.

I pretty much gave up on that tool unless someone has suggestions to possibly fix my user error OR even better suggestions for other priming tools you've had good luck with
I had the same experience and gave my RCBS away.

I added the seating arm to my old Redding press and it seats primers beautifully on down stroke of the ram.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
I have only used the 21st Century primer, but I'm completely satisfied. 26 clicks from the bottom for small, 37 clicks for large, with primer pockets corrected using K&M's primer pocket tools. Consistent seating depth every time.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
a thought from a cheap guy who would never buy a Primal Rights:

Ask a machinist/gunsmith to make a half dozen of the LR Priming Rods out of 4140 steel. Each one a different length--maybe half-thousandth length increments or whatever you choose.

Theyd be crazy simple to make. Just takes a little time to nail down the lengths. 1 hour of shop labor probably

TaperPin

WKR
There’s always that rcbs setup that seats single primers on the press as the ram goes up - you can hog on them as much as you like.

Ive never had a problem with hand priming tools seating magnum primers deep enough, but the force required seems excessive.

a thought from a cheap guy who would never buy a Primal Rights:

Ask a machinist/gunsmith to make a half dozen of the LR Priming Rods out of 4140 steel. Each one a different length--maybe half-thousandth length increments or whatever you choose.

Theyd be crazy simple to make. Just takes a little time to nail down the lengths. 1 hour of shop labor probably
Good idea, or even some kind of small shim behind the existing rod may work.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Good idea, or even some kind of small shim behind the existing rod may work.
That would work too! I wasn't sure if shims would stay in. Couldn't remember how the assembly goes together

Edit: based on the drawing of the assembly, I dont think the shims would work. Its a ball-end that rotates slightly inside the cavity at base of the primer rods. I didn't think the rods had the cavity. That likely doubles the shop time to make them since it will need a ball-end mill to create that cavity.

Could just make a single long one instead, and do the set-screw trick that wapitibob mentioned above to dial in the depth :D
sounds like a fun project already!

Last edited:

85zero17

FNG
The CPS is the most satisfying tool on my bench to use. Needed, no….but most things we use aren’t. Most are things we want, so yes!

rayporter

WKR
i keep a 21st century for small primers and still have a couple lees for large. { a spare is for parts}
you get good feel with a 21st century!!

Vern400

WKR
I had the exact same experience. Broke the Lee Auto prime, got an RCBS and it's a pain in the butt. I'm still limping along with that one for now. Lee did send me a benchtop model but I don't have space so I haven't used it yet. I will continue to hand prime because I like feeling what I'm doing. Even after removing pocket crimps properly, the first installation can be a little bit crunchy.

orkan

FNG

Give me a call today. (it must be today) Send me a PM on here with your actual name, so I know it's you and can cross-reference it when you call.

I'll give you a CPS. No charge. Merry Christmas!

If you get it, and don't regret the last decade of priming without it... I'll send you $100 cash to cover shipping, and you can send it to someone else in this thread.

Do yourself a favor and call Dan at Inline Fabrication and get a QD Ultramount system and a CPS plate on the way. You want this CPS about low chest height on your bench for best results. There's a whole playlist of videos on my youtube channel which will help you setup and use it.

If you don't want it, I'll give it to @Shortschaf. Since he's trying to keep you in the 7th circle of priming hell, he obviously hasn't used a CPS either, and could probably use one. :LOL:

Here's my various socials, but you'll need to call the number in the red bar below for the CPS.

... and remember:
Nothing good comes from me. Everything good comes from God.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
@Dr Evil looks like your priming problems are answered--better pick up that phone before I do😆
Nothing good comes from me. Everything good comes from God.

Every conversation should have at least one reminder of our King in heaven. Thank you for this one, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

orkan

FNG
@Dr Evil looks like your priming problems are answered--better pick up that phone before I do😆

Every conversation should have at least one reminder of our King in heaven. Thank you for this one, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Well if I don't hear from him by 5pm mountain time today... you'll get a PM from me. ;)

orkan

FNG

@Shortschaf
I haven't heard from the dude and 5PM has come and gone long ago, so... I have a CPS sitting here with your name on it.

Gimme a call like tuesday and we'll get you squared away. ... and maybe you can explain to me why you said you'd never buy one. ;)