Suggestions on a chonograph?

h8brick

FNG
Looking for a chronograph dont need top of line just sumn to use a few times a month for sending fps into leupold using factory ammo , Suggestions ?

mtodd

FNG
I second that on the Magnetospeed Sporter. I have one. It is small and easy to use. It does not work with my suppressor.

B23

WKR
Like the others have said, a MS Sporter model will serve you well. Been using a MS chronograph since the very first model came out many years ago. They're extremely accurate and not only super easy to use but even easier/faster to setup and start recording speeds. Literally, they can be on and ready to use in under 60 seconds.

I've used mine from 17 HMR to 338's and the only time it has missed a shot was when I was a dumbass and didn't have it plugged in all the way.

If you want to use it with suppressors you'll want to get the MS V3.

B23

WKR
Oehler 35.
Will last, accurate and very reliable .
If you're going to get an optical chronograph the Oehler 35 is "THE" one to get, that is for sure.

But, years ago I loaned my old original MS V1 to my dad as well as Broz, both of which had Oehler 35's, and shortly after using the MS I loaned them they both sold their Oehler's and bought new MS chronographs. I shot my MS V1 inline with the Oehler 35 my dad had and I believe Jeff did the same inline test when he was using my MS V1. The results nearly mirrored themselves.

The MS isn't perfect, no chronograph is, but they've been the best chronograph I've ever used and for the money I don't know how you can beat the MS Sporter.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you're going to get an optical chronograph the Oehler 35 is "THE" one to get, that is for sure.

But, years ago I loaned my old original MS V1 to my dad as well as Broz, both of which had Oehler 35's, and shortly after using the MS I loaned them they both sold their Oehler's and bought new MS chronographs. I shot my MS V1 inline with the Oehler 35 my dad had and I believe Jeff did the same inline test when he was using my MS V1. The results nearly mirrored themselves.

The MS isn't perfect, no chronograph is, but they've been the best chronograph I've ever used and for the money I don't know how you can beat the MS Sporter.
I ran a MS against a Labradar when I owned both, and probably 65% were the same and the others were within 2 fps.

rayporter

WKR
if you can get a used optical for super cheap, get it. if you have to buy new get the MS or labradar. if you shoot at a range where others shoot the convenience is worth it.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Had a chrony digital for $100 ish. Bought a LR thinking it would do something special. It did not.

The one major benefit to the LR (no not the software, that is absolute garbage) would be its ease to aim vs an optical unit.

I would never buy a Labradar again. That thing is an overpriced toy. Did i mention how ease it is to break it.. just look at it wrong.. The chrony digital runs right with it. I never had problem with the chrony until I loaned it to my brother and he shot it 😒.

If doing it again today I'd get a chrony with Bluetooth.

I use my chrono for pistol and archery so the MS just won't cut it for me.

I

OP
h8brick

h8brick

FNG
So no problems with the strap coming loose ? When i googled it those were the main complaints, but for the money and not using very much magneto sporter sounds good enough

I'm going to be the dissenting voice here and say don't buy a magneto speed..
Mine quit logging shots after about 6 months of use, I sent it back under warranty and the replacement stopped working after about a year.
They wouldn't replace the second one.
I have a cheap Caldwell chrony now and it's been solid

tdhanses

WKR
The lab radar i bought when they first went on sale still runs without fail. Can't say that about my magnetospeed sporter.
What happened to your sporter? Mine is still going strong and I have one of the prerelease versions, years of use and thousands of rounds, the strap for the barrel needs replaced but hasn’t fully ripped apart.

tdhanses

WKR
So no problems with the strap coming loose ? When i googled it those were the main complaints, but for the money and not using very much magneto sporter sounds good enough
It can but usually that’s user error, you have to tighten the strap as tight as you can before you lock down the bottom.