What Rear Bag for in Field Shooting?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve been looking at that guy as well, I think it’s the 2-5. How do you use it? I only ask because I wonder how something that is only 2.5 oz would work to stabilize a rifle when making long shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey, thanks for the order!

It’s “complicated” to explain how it works in the nitty gritty.

Essentially, the bag is a platform to help eliminate wobble. There are two basic ways to use a rear bag.

One is the way you use a Hunter’s Wedge by LRO or the heavy bags with ears that benchrest shooters use. The bag acts like a solid platform for the rifle to slide rearward. It provides vertical support for the rifle, and some lateral stability. This is the most supported method and used by shooters with heavy magnums the most.

The other way is to use it as a filler/support between the support hand and the ground to eliminate wobble. The bag doesn’t provide support for the rifle as much as it provides support for the support hand. But, it does touch the rifle as well. Given it is light and without the hand the bag collapses, it isn’t going to give stability like the solid base above.

This way requires more concentration on the support of the rifle with good body position and recoil management.

Basically, use the bag as an extension of your hand to fill the gap between the ground and the bottom of the stock. Some positions and bags you can use more bag and less hand.

Often you see people put the bag on the ground and then just squeeze it to move the rifle up and down. It is almost like the Hunter’s Wedge style, but it isn’t as solid.

The other extreme is when you put your hand in the strap of a bag like the Ultralight and rely less on the bag for direct support.

Either way, it reduces the wobble zone. But, to control the drop of the rifle butt on recoil, it is your body position and positive control over the rifle with the hands and shoulder connection that keeps the rifle steady during the initial recoil impulse before the bullet leaves the barrel.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Pint sized or schmedium game changer with git lite fill. I love mine. Less than a pound, and i can clip it to my bag with an s-biner clip and it's always ready.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I’m a little confused by what you mean by creating the V by tightening the strap. Wouldn’t the tightened strap get in the way of the rifle stock when using it as a rear bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It only works when the bag is up on end, so the tensioner strap is straight-up-and-down to the ground (z-axis). Since the tensioner strap is narrow and each side sewn to the middle of the ends of the bag, the strap pulls the center of the ends of the bag inward to form a vertex of a "V", and the corners of the bag serve as the two tops of the "V".

If I can remember, I'll take and post a photo later.

Kspence49

FNG
Pint sized or schmedium game changer with git lite fill. I love mine. Less than a pound, and i can clip it to my bag with an s-biner clip and it's always ready.
Which do you find yourself using more? I have both in the heavy fill I use for PRS and gravitate toward the schmedium unless I have a stage that would benefit from two bags, or want it to double as a rear bag. Is the pint sized with the light fill good enough off obstacles (rocks trees etc) to justify being the better rear bag, or is the smedium useable enough as a rear bag to justify the improved use off obstacles? I must say up to this point I’ve never shot an animal prone, and can’t recall being in a position where I could have so I’m leaning schmedium. What’s the weight difference between the two?

slowelk

WKR

The pint-sized game changer is not less than a pound. It's 20-22oz if my memory serves me. Armageddon gear lists it at 1.2lb.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Which do you find yourself using more? I have both in the heavy fill I use for PRS and gravitate toward the schmedium unless I have a stage that would benefit from two bags, or want it to double as a rear bag. Is the pint sized with the light fill good enough off obstacles (rocks trees etc) to justify being the better rear bag, or is the smedium useable enough as a rear bag to justify the improved use off obstacles? I must say up to this point I’ve never shot an animal prone, and can’t recall being in a position where I could have so I’m leaning schmedium. What’s the weight difference between the two?
I don't run either of the bags, but can comment on the different fill and your questions.

The size of bag is a balance between preference and how much weight and size you are willing to carry. Git-Lite isn't as stable as sand, but it is lighter and easier to manipulate. The difference between Git-Lite and sand shouldn't be the difference to make shots on animals.

In NRL hunter, I have seen it to be a mix between Git-Lite and sand for good shooters.

Lawnboi

WKR
The pint-sized game changer is not less than a pound. It's 20-22oz if my memory serves me. Armageddon gear lists it at 1.2lb.

They also come with a fill spout now and every one I have bought comes way over stuffed. I normally let 1/4 of the fill out to get it to where I want, which ends up around one pound. The older pint sized didn’t have the spout.

Kspence49

FNG
I don't run either of the bags, but can comment on the different fill and your questions.

The size of bag is a balance between preference and how much weight and size you are willing to carry. Git-Lite isn't as stable as sand, but it is lighter and easier to manipulate. The difference between Git-Lite and sand shouldn't be the difference to make shots on animals.

In NRL hunter, I have seen it to be a mix between Git-Lite and sand for good shooters.
Yeah was more asking if they liked the schmedium vs the pint sized. I’m def getting gitlite for the hunting bag as I’m not lugging my 10 pound bags through the woods haha

Lawnboi

WKR

I use the schmedium more now because it’s a better bag off rocks and stumps, combined with that I havnt really had a backpack hunt here for a while, just day trips.

I’d have to find the exact, and likely re measure but my pint size was around a pound and my schmedium around 1.5lbs. This is with about 1/4 of the fill let out of each to achieve what I wanted in squish.

The pint sized is a better rear bag I feel, and the schmedium a better front. I currently have and will use both based on what I’m carrying, how far I’m going, and what I anticipate I’ll be shooting off.

I carry a tripod as well but lately I’m looking for a prone shot first, a rock/log as support second and the tripod is final option, only due to how long it takes to get setup.

Again Iv got both, I’m glad I have both and I think both have their place. If it were one only it would be the schmedium. I shoot heavy schmedium for matches/small game as the sand is just stupid stable.

rclouse79

WKR
I made a rear bag with beads years ago. I listened to an exo podcast where they used a bag with their game bags in it. It might not be precise enough for some, but I have found it to work well, and I have one less thing to carry.

My pint-sized with git-lite is 1lb on the nuts. It's a handful of years old, doesn't have spouts to adjust fill.

Molinator is 5.7 ounces.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Did you buy one? What are your thoughts on the molinator?

Iv used a few lighter fill bags and was disappointed.
For lots of us that cut our teeth with OG bags filled with heavy fill and sand, its hard to get used to the ultralight filled bags. I still like my smaller bags with Git-Lite, but the further I hike, the more I trend to use the ultralight bags. I am practicing with them more. They take a little different thought process and minding the shooting position.

A heavy gun and good sand bag cover a multitude of my problems and shooter error...

Lawnboi

WKR
For lots of us that cut our teeth with OG bags filled with heavy fill and sand, its hard to get used to the ultralight filled bags. I still like my smaller bags with Git-Lite, but the further I hike, the more I trend to use the ultralight bags. I am practicing with them more. They take a little different thought process and minding the shooting position.

A heavy gun and good sand bag cover a multitude of my problems and shooter error...
Iv played with a little of everything. I can make stuff work as well. The git lite canvas bags are even a step behind sand. I can shoot prone level stability off a sand schmedium. With git lite I can hold around 2moa. Lighter than that and it gets irritatingly large for me and I start to require rear support.

I also don’t carry a pillow and use my bag as a pillow.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Iv played with a little of everything. I can make stuff work as well. The git lite canvas bags are even a step behind sand. I can shoot probe level stability off a sand schmedium. With git lite I can hold around 2moa. Lighter than that and it gets irritatingly large for me and I start to require rear support.

I also don’t carry a pillow and use my bag as a pillow.
100% that sand in that size bag makes for incredibly stable shots as a front bag. The difference is substantial.

I was referring mostly to rear bag support, the differences are less noticeable because it is the second point of support.

Kspence49

FNG
I use the schmedium more now because it’s a better bag off rocks and stumps, combined with that I havnt really had a backpack hunt here for a while, just day trips.

I’d have to find the exact, and likely re measure but my pint size was around a pound and my schmedium around 1.5lbs. This is with about 1/4 of the fill let out of each to achieve what I wanted in squish.

The pint sized is a better rear bag I feel, and the schmedium a better front. I currently have and will use both based on what I’m carrying, how far I’m going, and what I anticipate I’ll be shooting off.

I carry a tripod as well but lately I’m looking for a prone shot first, a rock/log as support second and the tripod is final option, only due to how long it takes to get setup.

Again Iv got both, I’m glad I have both and I think both have their place. If it were one only it would be the schmedium. I shoot heavy schmedium for matches/small game as the sand is just stupid stable.
Awesome that’s really helpful. Is the schmedium git lite useable as a rear bag? I already have a sikes sack too and it’s stupid light maybe the answer is to carry a schmedium git lite and the sikes sack. The sikes is stupid light I think it’s under half a pound. Then the question becomes are they too annoying to carry together. I also have an x wing that’s smaller, but heavier. Now you can probably see why I’m hesitant to buy both a pint sized AND a schmedium as I already have close to a dozen other bags 😂

Lawnboi

WKR
Awesome that’s really helpful. Is the schmedium git lite useable as a rear bag? I already have a sikes sack too and it’s stupid light maybe the answer is to carry a schmedium git lite and the sikes sack. The sikes is stupid light I think it’s under half a pound. Then the question becomes are they too annoying to carry together. I also have an x wing that’s smaller, but heavier. Now you can probably see why I’m hesitant to buy both a pint sized AND a schmedium as I already have close to a dozen other bags 😂
I use the schmedium as a rear, both the heavy and light one. I would never carry a second bag. I have tried dedicated rear bags and find I greatly prefer the schmedium/pint sized.

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used Armageddon Gear’s channel lock for a front bag?

A slightly different construction that might be suitable for a wide variety of scenarios.