What Rear Bag for in Field Shooting?

Read through numerous threads on here and I’ve read a lot of different suggestions. However I’m mainly looking for a rear bag as I always have my bipod on the rifle.

What bag would you suggest for mainly hunting (will practice with it) application?

Looking to make more consistent shots is the reason I’m looking to swap from a puffy jacket style rear rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
I've been trying to figure out the same thing. I'm leaning towards the Molinator.

Just curious what do you like about the molinator? I know it was design by people that hunt long range but I’m just unsure how to use the bag effectively

sveltri

WKR
Just curious what do you like about the molinator? I know it was design by people that hunt long range but I’m just unsure how to use the bag effectively

I too am unsure about the actual "proper" use, but the weight, size, and shape makes me think I can figure something out. The above mentioned Gamechanger is also on the short list.

OP
T
I like the LS Wild Ultralight.

I’ve been looking at that guy as well, I think it’s the 2-5. How do you use it? I only ask because I wonder how something that is only 2.5 oz would work to stabilize a rifle when making long shots

OP
T
Pint sized git lite or schmedium git lite are my choices.

I havnt tried the molinator but I have used most other bags out there

I agree those are great all around choices but if I’m not too worried about front bag supports since I use a bipod, would you still recommend one of those?

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't have a burning desire for a brand name, a sock filled with chopped carbon tube. Sits as firm as any, but lighter and cheaper, you pick the size of fill tube and bag. (perlite is the lightest fill but doesn't last forever.)

Lawnboi

WKR
I agree those are great all around choices but if I’m not too worried about front bag supports since I use a bipod, would you still recommend one of those?

Yes. They are extremely versatile in the rear as far as height is concerned.

Also helps they make a decent front rest. Shooting off stumps and rocks becomes much easier. Iv actually shot more animals with them as a front than a rear.

The schmedium is a good pillow replacement too.

blkqi

WKR

The pint-sized GC is the perfect rear bag, in my opinion. And it's shape affords it a lot of versatility outside of that application as well.

If possible I always support the butt of the stock with the web of my off-hand. The rear bag is used to fill space (between my off-hand and whatever support may be below it) and make fine elevation adjustments (by squeezing it with the same hand).

IdahoBeav

WKR
I’ve been looking at that guy as well, I think it’s the 2-5. How do you use it? I only ask because I wonder how something that is only 2.5 oz would work to stabilize a rifle when making long shots

Yep, the 2-5. The length, width, and height are all different measurements, I set the underside of the stock on the side of the bag that provides the height needed for the shot. My favorite is on the long end because if you pull the tensioner strap, it creates a V that cradles the stock nicely. The Styrofoam or whatever the filling is made from forms around the stock and hardens up under pressure. When the bag is not in use, it rides on my pack with a pack strap run through the sewn-in loop on the bag.

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
I've picked up a couple of the Phoenix shooting bags and love them so far. Plenty light and work great for me.

I'd like to try a bag at some point, but at this point my fist or my forearm draped over my other arm. I'm only comfortable out to about 500 at this point.

sveltri

WKR
The Molinator looks to be about 25% the weight of the pint size GC with git lite. Is that accurate?

OP
T
Yep, the 2-5. The length, width, and height are all different measurements, I set the underside of the stock on the side of the bag that provides the height needed for the shot. My favorite is on the long end because if you pull the tensioner strap, it creates a V that cradles the stock nicely. The Styrofoam or whatever the filling is made from forms around the stock and hardens up under pressure. When the bag is not in use, it rides on my pack with a pack strap run through the sewn-in loop on the bag.

Thanks for the info! I just ordered the 2-5 to give it a try, if not I know they will do free returns for Rokslide members

If this bag doesn’t work I’m going to the pint sized GC as recommended above, it’s just much heavier so wanted to try this first

I’m a little confused by what you mean by creating the V by tightening the strap. Wouldn’t the tightened strap get in the way of the rifle stock when using it as a rear bag?