What Rear Bag for in Field Shooting?

seand

Lil-Rokslider
My pint size with git lite was dead on one pound, I took fill out so as they come overfill IMO. It now has sand+git lite, it’s a nice combo actually. But I use a schmedium way more.

My Schmedium with git lite is 1,75#
IMG_2824.jpeg

Last year I carried the git lite schmedium hunting and my daughter shot her buck off it on the tripod. I didn’t even pack my RRS tripod/anvil as she prefers to just shoot off a bag, I packed a cheaper/lighter Leofoto 323c. I’m getting that way too. I can pack the Leofoto and the schmedium and it’s lighter than a RRS 33 or 24L with an anvil. For spring bear I’m going to take the ballhead off the Leofoto and just use a plate and bag.

I think it’s far more versatile to have the bag plus tripod, it’s arguably as good for shooting off the tripod (there are pros and cons), and it’s way better to have the bag for shooting off rocks,stumps,etc, or as a rear bag. Plus it’s a good pillow and/or butt pd in the snow.

I don’t really use the pint size hardly at all, my kid and I both use a schmedium (mine with heavy sand, hers with git lite) as a single bag for all purposes including as a rear bag in matches. I like the one bag for everything approach.

The schmedium is pretty darn good at a lot of stuff.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My pint size with git lite was dead on one pound, I took fill out so as they come overfill IMO. It now has sand+git lite, it’s a nice combo actually. But I use a schmedium way more.

My Schmedium with git lite is 1,75#
View attachment 686427

Last year I carried the git lite schmedium hunting and my daughter shot her buck off it on the tripod. I didn’t even pack my RRS tripod/anvil as she prefers to just shoot off a bag, I packed a cheaper/lighter Leofoto 323c. I’m getting that way too. I can pack the Leofoto and the schmedium and it’s lighter than a RRS 33 or 24L with an anvil. For spring bear I’m going to take the ballhead off the Leofoto and just use a plate and bag.

I think it’s far more versatile to have the bag plus tripod, it’s arguably as good for shooting off the tripod (there are pros and cons), and it’s way better to have the bag for shooting off rocks,stumps,etc, or as a rear bag. Plus it’s a good pillow and/or butt pd in the snow.

I don’t really use the pint size hardly at all, my kid and I both use a schmedium (mine with heavy sand, hers with git lite) as a single bag for all purposes including as a rear bag in matches. I like the one bag for everything approach.

The schmedium is pretty darn good at a lot of stuff.
I am torn between locking in and off the plate/bag. It’s bag and plate for inside 450 and faster shots closer. But, shooting locked in past 450 I can be as stable and manage recoil as good as prone.

I love tossing a bag over the tripod for kids. Teach them to follow the leg of the forward tripod to aim; and shoot with an elbow on the knee, the kids on the doe hunt were deadly and made the process easier to get them on target.

Love that you are getting out with your daughter. That’s so cool.

OP
T
For anyone that uses a pint size or scdmedium, can you please post a few pics of how you use it as a rear bag? I’m struggling to see what is likely super simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like the ones from LS wild, I have their SSS pillow, ultralight 2.5 and the superlite compact one. I also have the rokslide molinator which I like a lot too.

Lawnboi

WKR
For anyone that uses a pint size or scdmedium, can you please post a few pics of how you use it as a rear bag? I’m struggling to see what is likely super simple

For range use I normally grip one of the lobes and use that, and act as if the other lobe isn’t there.

For field use or more dynamic range use Iv used all sides of the thing.

I let out enough fill that grabbing a big hand full and squeezing mostly locks it up.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Like @Lawnboi, I grip one lobe of a long bag.

One way I try to use it is to run it parallel to the rifle and stick one half under your shoulder and the other lobe under your rifle. Supporting your shoulder/chest is a good thing.

Besides that, mechanically you also apply pressure on the unused lobe and then squeeze the live under your rifle the fill won’t migrate out from under the rifle to the other lobe.

This is actually the cause of some larger groups and wandering/stringing as the bag and shooter settle into a position. I am also confident that it is the reason for some “cold bore” shots—coming from cold shooter/cold position shots.

This helps to solve a problem that some shooters have when they are used to relying on the rear bag to give support through the recoil impulse. It affects precision and accuracy before the bullet leaves the barrel, and affects target retention in the scope.

Running many build and break drills, where I forced myself to build a new position, I saw that my groups were consistently larger. But, when I settled into a position and shot a group my groups were smaller.

The smallest inconsistencies matter, especially long range.

OP
T
Like @Lawnboi, I grip one lobe of a long bag.

One way I try to use it is to run it parallel to the rifle and stick one half under your shoulder and the other lobe under your rifle. Supporting your shoulder/chest is a good thing.

Besides that, mechanically you also apply pressure on the unused lobe and then squeeze the live under your rifle the fill won’t migrate out from under the rifle to the other lobe.

This is actually the cause of some larger groups and wandering/stringing as the bag and shooter settle into a position. I am also confident that it is the reason for some “cold bore” shots—coming from cold shooter/cold position shots.

This helps to solve a problem that some shooters have when they are used to relying on the rear bag to give support through the recoil impulse. It affects precision and accuracy before the bullet leaves the barrel, and affects target retention in the scope.

Running many build and break drills, where I forced myself to build a new position, I saw that my groups were consistently larger. But, when I settled into a position and shot a group my groups were smaller.

The smallest inconsistencies matter, especially long range.

Thanks both of you for the info!

Hereinaz, do you think your tacky bags are comparable to the pint/schmedium?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks both of you for the info!

Hereinaz, do you think your tacky bags are comparable to the pint/schmedium?

They are a different design, different way to use them. They can be interchangeable, but there is a little different philosophy with the Tacky Sack and Tacky Grande.

The Mini Tacky is a smaller version of the pint sized. It can do most of the same things for less weight.

The Peanut bag we make for Scott Satterlee is comparable. I will update with the website when I get a chance.

If you want to try any of LS Bags, buy and try them. If you don’t like it, give me feedback and no questions return policy.

OP
T
Pint sized git lite or schmedium git lite are my choices.

I havnt tried the molinator but I have used most other bags out there

I wanted to follow back up… after a lot of research and buying other bags, I finally got around to using someone else’s pint sized with sand during a PRS shoot. I just took delivery of mine (heavy sand) but will likely order another one for hunting but with their spexlite fill at 1.2lbs

Great rear bag, great front bag. Should’ve bought this bag first but now I’ve learned what I want in a shooting bag

On a side note, I strongly recommend any hunter to shoot some PRS matches. It forces me to practice non prone positions and I’m becoming much more confident in non prone shots

Lawnboi

WKR
I wanted to follow back up… after a lot of research and buying other bags, I finally got around to using someone else’s pint sized with sand during a PRS shoot. I just took delivery of mine (heavy sand) but will likely order another one for hunting but with their spexlite fill at 1.2lbs

Great rear bag, great front bag. Should’ve bought this bag first but now I’ve learned what I want in a shooting bag

On a side note, I strongly recommend any hunter to shoot some PRS matches. It forces me to practice non prone positions and I’m becoming much more confident in non prone shots

Wait till you try a schmedium

OP
T
Wait till you try a schmedium

That’s the one I thought I was going to order but when I used the pint sized and schmedium last weekend at a match, the pint was more manageable and stayed on barricades better. The schmedium may have had a little too much sand let out of it..?

What’s your thoughts on the pint vs the schmedium from a hunting perspective?

Lawnboi

WKR
That’s the one I thought I was going to order but when I used the pint sized and schmedium last weekend at a match, the pint was more manageable and stayed on barricades better. The schmedium may have had a little too much sand let out of it..?

What’s your thoughts on the pint vs the schmedium from a hunting perspective?

The schmedium is a better front bag, both sand and spex lite, in my opinion. The pint sized spex lite is adequate though, and is a better rear bag I feel.

I have both. Honestly most of the time lately I have the schmedium with me, because it works as a pillow better and is a couple more ounces.

The sand schmedium is like cheating, but it’s 9lbs. Can put that on a tripod and have basically no wobble.

I will say while sand is more stable, it’s a little more difficult to learn than the lighter fills. Takes a little more to really settle, but locks up when it does, versus the light fill is easier to settle/manipulate but isn’t as firm when settled. If that makes any sense

The Schmedium is the only one I'm missing, so it'll be my next bag I buy. Probably with sand fill at first for if I start shooting matches.

OP
T
I really like the Long Range Only bag

It’s built very well and works well too but I would recommend looking at a game changer. It can do exact what the long range only bag does with the angle but also has many other uses where the LRO bag is kind of a one trick pony