Suppressed vs unsuppressed POI shift?

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
Recently received my suppressor. I sighted the weapon in suppressed as I plan to hunt the majority of the time with it on. While shooting unsuppressed I noticed that my groups were roughly .75 Left and 2.5 low. From what I’ve read most individuals POI shifts upward while unsuppressed due to less weight at the end of the barrel. Has anyone else noticed a similar change? Any way to explain this?

Last edited:

fatbacks

WKR
I’ve had similar shifts on some of my rifles. Tends to be more shift with lighter barrels. Some of my heavier barrels I have almost zero shift.

Not an issue as long as it’s repeatable every time you put the can on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Spark352

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been repeatable from the little shooting I’ve been able to do. Was really just curious if others have seen this and maybe had some insight on the physics involved

Flyjunky

WKR
Like fatbacks said I think the differences in poi have to do with barrel stiffness and contour, then you add in all the different specs of the suppressors (weight, length, etc) which changes the barrel harmonics and you can't make a generalization. Every gun/can combo is different.

OP
Spark352

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
Barrel is a 24” Proof carbon Sendero profile. Figured it would be pretty rigid. Was expecting a little less POI shift than it has. But it’s repeatable so it’s not a big deal.

Only down side is my Vortex LHT only has 5 clicks below the zero stop. Guess I won’t be using the zero stop.

Flyjunky

WKR
Barrel is a 24” Proof carbon Sendero profile. Figured it would be pretty rigid. Was expecting a little less POI shift than it has. But it’s repeatable so it’s not a big deal.

Only down side is my Vortex LHT only has 5 clicks below the zero stop. Guess I won’t be using the zero stop.
As long as it's consistent that's all that matters

As long as it is repeatable just remember your clicks. I have a Rugged Razor that goes on a 25" M24 profile 6 creed and it moves me 1'' low and .25'' left.