Suppressor tips?

I've just started researching suppressors for my next rifle. I'm totally new to this and don't know much about suppressors, so I'm reading all that I can about them. I'm about 90% set on a Seekins Element in 7 PRC next year, so I'm planning ahead and will hopefully pick it up after the new year. That being said, I would love to get started on the process of finding a suppressor now since I've heard it can take forever to get approved. I'm located in CO. Does that matter? Has anyone else in CO gone through this process recently?

Also open to any recommendations for suppressors. Thanks!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
buying a suppressor is straightforward. You can buy through Silencer Shop pretty easily. Do a trust. Start now.
I prefer a direct thread for hunting, and get a titanium one at least 7" long for best sound suppression for size.
I run a Thunderbeast Ultra 7. If you want steel the YHM Resonator is a good one.

OP
rockymtnsam
buying a suppressor is straightforward. You can buy through Silencer Shop pretty easily. Do a trust. Start now.
I prefer a direct thread for hunting, and get a titanium one at least 7" long for best sound suppression for size.
I run a Thunderbeast Ultra 7. If you want steel the YHM Resonator is a good one.
Thanks! Very helpful. I'm going to start the trust process asap. Seems like people like the Thunderbeast Ultra, going to look at all the options but I've heard good things.

B23

WKR
I think TBAC makes a premium product and for a 1.5 diameter can the Ultra Gen2 either 7 or 9 inch is as good as it gets but if I was in the market for a new can right now, it would be the Dead Air Nomad LTi or LT as some refer to. It is a very quiet can that is 8.3 in. long, 1.75 dia. and only weighs 12.6oz. The TBAC Ultra 9 weighs nearly the same and is slightly longer but not as quiet and the Ultra 7 is a couple ounces lighter and a little shorter but won't be as quiet as the Ultra9 and definitely not as quiet as the DA Nomad LTi. For a more compact can the TBAC Dominus is a pretty badass can that performs nearly as well as the Ultra 9 but at only 6.25 in. long.

I've purchased numerous cans from Capitol Armory and they were excellent to deal with and very helpful when I called. I believe they offer the same program as other places where you can purchase the can from them and once it has been approved they ship it directly to your residence.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think TBAC makes a premium product and for a 1.5 diameter can the Ultra Gen2 either 7 or 9 inch is as good as it gets but if I was in the market for a new can right now, it would be the Dead Air Nomad LTi or LT as some refer to. It is a very quiet can that is 8.3 in. long, 1.75 dia. and only weighs 12.6oz. The TBAC Ultra 9 weighs nearly the same and is slightly longer but not as quiet and the Ultra 7 is a couple ounces lighter and a little shorter but won't be as quiet as the Ultra9 and definitely not as quiet as the DA Nomad LTi. For a more compact can the TBAC Dominus is a pretty badass can that performs nearly as well as the Ultra 9 but at only 6.25 in. long.

I've purchased numerous cans from Capitol Armory and they were excellent to deal with and very helpful when I called. I believe they offer the same program as other places where you can purchase the can from them and once it has been approved they ship it directly to your residence.

The dominus is comparable in sound to the ultra 7.

Sevens

WKR
Another vote for Capital Armory. Very easy process. Have done two with them that I received this year, have another one waiting and will most likely add a third. Sign up with them, they have promos every so often.

If you’re only getting one, something like the TBAC Ultra 7, Diligent Defense S-Ti, or Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S would all fit the bill of lightweight and good sound suppression. Still a good place to start before you inevitably get more cans that are specialized (K-can, full auto, etc.)

If a little weight is ok, the Harvester EVO works very well on 7PRC at an economical price. Have one on my 20” 7PRC and it cuts noise and recoil very well and weighs about 12 ounces with a titanium hub DT mount.

OP
rockymtnsam
Another vote for Capital Armory. Very easy process. Have done two with them that I received this year, have another one waiting and will most likely add a third. Sign up with them, they have promos every so often.

If you’re only getting one, something like the TBAC Ultra 7, Diligent Defense S-Ti, or Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S would all fit the bill of lightweight and good sound suppression. Still a good place to start before you inevitably get more cans that are specialized (K-can, full auto, etc.)

If a little weight is ok, the Harvester EVO works very well on 7PRC at an economical price. Have one on my 20” 7PRC and it cuts noise and recoil very well and weighs about 12 ounces with a titanium hub DT mount.
Sounds like a great fit. What rifle are you shooting for your 7 PRC?

Samson7x

WKR
TBAC ultra 7 is a winner. You won’t notice any substantial practical difference in sound suppression between it and the 9. I have both and choose the 7 every time for hunting purposes. Capitol armory is great. Hansohn brothers in VA is also great. Have many transfers with each of them.

OP
rockymtnsam
TBAC ultra 7 is a winner. You won’t notice any substantial practical difference in sound suppression between it and the 9. I have both and choose the 7 every time for hunting purposes. Capitol armory is great. Hansohn brothers in VA is also great. Have many transfers with each of them.
What’s the length on that? Assuming I end up with the Seekins Element the barrel is 22”, I’m hoping to stay on the shorter end but get the most benefit out of a suppressor I can.

OP
rockymtnsam
Disregard, simple search and I realized the 7 is 7” lol. Thanks for the info.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What’s the length on that? Assuming I end up with the Seekins Element the barrel is 22”, I’m hoping to stay on the shorter end but get the most benefit out of a suppressor I can.
It is 7”, they make a 5” version but it’s not nearly as quiet. I should have bought my ultra 7 first. I started with a banish 30 but wanted to see what the hype was about so I got an ultra 7. The ultra 7 is lighter and quieter. The banish isn’t bad or anything but it’s nothing special.

If you live in Colorado I’d drive up to mile high shooting. Do eform and buy a thunderbeast from them. They are legit and it’s quick. 5 months for my last one. I’d rather do it thru a dealer than doing the online deal like silencer shop. I didn’t have the best experience with silencer shop.

Last edited:
Silencer Central is great to deal with, easy process. The Banish is an excellent can. I have a Banish 30 now and purchased a Banish 30 Gold that I should have soon.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in Colorado and just got my first cans approved a few weeks ago. I went through Silencer Shop via a phone call to order mine. There are no kiosks near me so I had to use their phone app and then mail in my finger print cards. I had some frustration with their length of process, but I will definitely do it again for my next cans.

I ended up ordering a CGS Hyperion from them. It’s 9.25 inches long and weighs just under 16 oz. It isn’t a direct thread you do need to use their adapter to go with it. That being said I bought several adapters to use on different rifles. I absolutely love the Hyperion. I use it mostly on my 6.5PRC and it’s amazingly quiet and knocked down felt recoil a fair amount. I’d recommend it to anyone that isn’t concerned about having a longer can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesfromky

WKR
Lots of good threads on rokslide, but my one piece of advice is to go ahead and get a rimfire can at the same time. Supressed .22 subsonic is so much fun that I put a 2nd rimfire can in jail so I don't have to mess with swapping between my two .22s.

Pew science has some good info - https://pewscience.com/rankings

I have used silencer shop a couple times and have had a good experience so far. Was looking pretty hard at a dead air LTi, but with the customer service issues they have been having lately, went with Otter Creek Hydrogen L.

the /r/nfa subreddit has a pretty active communty, along with wait time trackers.

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
I just got my first suppressor (Ultra7). I see it through my scope on low power, so I’d be reluctant to go with a larger diameter can.

Also, I went through Scheels (not sure if you have one around). They do everything in house and it was great. And they price match, too.