Suppressors and first shot, cold bore, impact shift from warm barrel sight-in?

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I got my first suppressor last summer and hunted with it last fall. On three occasions my shots on game were a little bit to the right of where I thought I was aiming. All three deer were cleanly harvested but it made me wonder if it was me or the rifle, my first DIY pre-fit build in 308. After season I changed out the stock and just recently replaced the scope rings but I've read a few articles about POI shift from cold bore with suppressors.

I plan to get to the range soon but was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if this was common with suppressor use.

Thanks is advance!

WCB

WKR
Have you always shot this firearm with a suppressor? Did you not notice this when sighting in your firearm?

Also, I would assume if you are noticing this on an animal you believe your POI is significant because within even a couple inches not sure I would notice or pay attention much.

Was there much of an angle to the shot (vertical)? Perhaps YOUR POI is different based on the shooting position or rest you were in/using?

IMO, (which you mentioned you were going to do). Go to the range and confirm. Maybe try shooting from a similar position as when you shot the animals and see if it is a "you" problem.

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
WCB, thanks for the reply.
1) the rifle was purpose built for the suppressor, I have not shot it without it.
2) shots on game were consistent, pulled to the right enough to notice on all three
3) two were shot from about 5' above ground, one about 20' from a climber
4) I did go to the range thinking I was the problem and replicated the shot and grip hold with the bipod I used. The rifle was spot on. I even replaced the stock with one with a more pronounced cheek piece to see it that would help.

I've never had this issue over years of hunting and shots on game so I'm curious about this subject and the fact that I have two more suppressors waiting for clearance.

I'll get to the range and do some shooting to see if I can determine a pattern.

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Tell me that's a leupold riding in Talley light weights? If so, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I know the likely problem sources.
You are correct but that situation was remedied last weekend with the installation of the new ARC rings.

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
if the scope still has a gold ring on the front of it, then it still has an erector that can wander around.
Maybe but I've used gold rings for many years without problems. I will say in the past it's been more set and forget, not as much these days. No problems at the range holding zero.

Maybe but I've used gold rings for many years without problems. I will say in the past it's been more set and forget, not as much these days. No problems at the range holding zero.

Actually, if you are experiencing a "cold bore" shot that is off from the rest it's a very frequent problem with the Leupold.

It's easy to blame on things like "cold bore", until you start to realize maybe that's not actually a thing with properly stress relieved barrels.

I would wonder if you are canting the rifle and not realizing it when you are shooting animals but don’t do it at the range.

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
If you’ve shot it a bunch at the range and never had a cold bore shift and then it is suddenly happening on animals, I’d say it isn’t the rifle/suppressor…
I can't say I've spent much time cold bore testing at the range...I will soon!

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
My rest, hay bale...

The result at about 125 yards...

The deer dropped in it's track but shot was further back than planned. Not a big deal until I shot a doe two days later and was off by 8" and the shot was well rested and very deliberate! She dropped on the spot but then I knew I had a problem, got lucky on the doe.

Will say sighted in at 90 degree with high humidity, hunted at about 18 degree.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
My rest, hay bale...

The result at about 125 yards...

The deer dropped in it's track but shot was further back than planned. Not a big deal until I shot a doe two days later and was off by 8" and the shot was well rested and very deliberate! She dropped on the spot but then I knew I had a problem, got lucky on the doe.

Will say sighted in at 90 degree with high humidity, hunted at about 18 degree.

I had a scope lose zero by 8" at 100. It too had a gold ring.
Its amazing how many less "range time needed to test" that I needed after I switched to scopes that work.

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I had a scope lose zero by 8" at 100. It too had a gold ring.
Its amazing how many less "range time needed to test" that I needed after I switched to scopes that work.
Ok, so what scope do you recommend in the $1,000 range (that's about what I pay for my 5HDs)?