Suppressors and first shot, cold bore, impact shift from warm barrel sight-in?

IdahoHntr

WKR
I can't say I've spent much time cold bore testing at the range...I will soon!
Every time you go to the range is a cold bore test.. you have to fire a first shot right? If you didn’t notice it there, I’d say it’s an issue introduced by the field. Whether that’s the setup getting bounced around more than normal and losing zero, loss of shooting technique, less sturdy rest, etc.

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Every time you go to the range is a cold bore test.. you have to fire a first shot right? If you didn’t notice it there, I’d say it’s an issue introduced by the field. Whether that’s the setup getting bounced around more than normal and losing zero, loss of shooting technique, less sturdy rest, etc.
It was a new rifle when the issue first came up, range time was to dial in with ammo I intended to use. Traveled to and from FL to KS, 1,000 miles each way by auto. Checked when home and it was ok but really can't say if I checked "cold bore" as I was more focused on scope POI shifting or the way I was holding the bipod in one event. Just speculation now as I have a new stock and scope rings that need to be settled and zeroed then I can focus on first cold shot to see what's up

I have a new stock and scope rings that need to be settled and zeroed then I can focus on first cold shot to see what's up

no, that's not right at all. those things are either tight and won't move, or they're loose and do move, or they're tight, but fundamentally flawed and still allow movement. there's no scenario where they will move for a time and then stop moving.

Rich M

WKR

I agree - your first shot on a cold barrel is what you should expect in the field. Then if you let you gun cool between shots (in breeze in shade) and you can repeat it to a degree. I get a 100 fps increase in velocity out of one of my guns for 2nd shot. It isn't "off" but shows something is going on.

Get your optics figured out. Any time you change a variable in the equation, the equation changes. You put a new can on there, things change. Figure them out. Not a biggee.

Are you flinching? Can't see that you would with a 308 and a can but someone has to ask.

What about "target panic" "buck fever"???

I like your hay bale blind. Comfy and practical.

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I agree - your first shot on a cold barrel is what you should expect in the field. Then if you let you gun cool between shots (in breeze in shade) and you can repeat it to a degree. I get a 100 fps increase in velocity out of one of my guns for 2nd shot. It isn't "off" but shows something is going on.

Get your optics figured out. Any time you change a variable in the equation, the equation changes. You put a new can on there, things change. Figure them out. Not a biggee.

Are you flinching? Can't see that you would with a 308 and a can but someone has to ask.

What about "target panic" "buck fever"???

I like your hay bale blind. Comfy and practical.
Range time soon should sort this out...was just wondering if this was common to suppressors, apparently not.

WCB

WKR
WCB, thanks for the reply.
1) the rifle was purpose built for the suppressor, I have not shot it without it.
2) shots on game were consistent, pulled to the right enough to notice on all three
3) two were shot from about 5' above ground, one about 20' from a climber
4) I did go to the range thinking I was the problem and replicated the shot and grip hold with the bipod I used. The rifle was spot on. I even replaced the stock with one with a more pronounced cheek piece to see it that would help.

I've never had this issue over years of hunting and shots on game so I'm curious about this subject and the fact that I have two more suppressors waiting for clearance.

I'll get to the range and do some shooting to see if I can determine a pattern.
I read the replies after mine and man there are some brand haters out there. If the scope is the problem it is not just going to show up when a deer walks out. Not saying there aren't issue with that optic or with certain brands or models. I used to be a scope tech (not for Leupold) and can you tell that a high percentage of complaints we got on "not holding zero" or "Flyers" were not the scopes issue. (90+% of the time?)

probably not the case but maybe in hunting situations you are picking your head up to look at the animal too soon after the shot. I know I had clients do this. Shot awesome at the range checking zero, even some guys shooting out to 400 or 500 yds. Deer walks out and they would not perform like at the range.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
My rest, hay bale...

The result at about 125 yards...

The deer dropped in it's track but shot was further back than planned. Not a big deal until I shot a doe two days later and was off by 8" and the shot was well rested and very deliberate! She dropped on the spot but then I knew I had a problem, got lucky on the doe.

Will say sighted in at 90 degree with high humidity, hunted at about 18 degree.
I'd just like to say, that's a hell of a buck. Congrats!!!