Supressors

Hey all, was looking into getting a suppressor for my ar and my tikka t3x 30-06 and was wondering if i should get a dedicated 556 and a 30 cal can or just a 30 cal can for both? any downside to getting just one 30 cal can for both?

jimh406

WKR
In theory, you lose some efficiency/sound reduction by putting a 30 on a 22 cal. 30 cals are usually longer and heavier although that isn't always the case.

Wapiti151

WKR
You can also go with a .762 can that has replaceable end caps and change for caliber that it’s on. Not as good as an appropriate caliber can, but a couple dbs less

get a good titanium 30 cal can and be done with it. i have a cgs hyperion and have put a lot of 223 and 6.5 rounds through it, the sound is great, and if/when i want to put it on a 30 cal magnum I have that flexibility too.

atmat

WKR
For all cans, go 30 caliber. You won’t hear a difference between it and a smaller caliber can, but you’ll be grateful to have the size should you ever shoot a 30cal.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed, a .30 cal can is the best way to go. The bore specific cans, and I have a few of them, don’t make a noticeable difference. The 6-7” length is the sweet spot for suppression and portability. I like Thunderbeast, but there are other very good options, as well.

I’d get a dedicated can for both if you have the budget. For AR cans you want something more durable and maybe flow through (look at the Huxwrx 556k) and then for the bolt rifle get a titanium can known for accuracy and being lightweight. I’m a fan of TBAC Ultra 7 but I know others are excited about the Scythe Ti.

Bigwilly556

Lil-Rokslider
Dedicated 556 cans have their place for back pressure in gas guns unless your using a adjustable gas block. My first two cans were a TB ultra 5 and surefire socom RC2. I don't like adjustable gas blocks as they add an additional failure point into the mix. Suppressor can become an addiction and once you obtain one you'll want one on every firearm you own. I've switched over to the area 419 suppressor adapter system on my precision rifles that enables you to move the suppressor to any rifle with the mount on.

If you have the means I'd think long and hard about what you need and what you may need as your basically married to what you purchase. Thunder beast is hard to beat for a precision rifle can but most will not take a heavy firing schedule of a gas gun. I just jailed three cans today and wish I would have just done all of them to begin with. If you can only afford one or two cans I suggest the silencerco Omega 36m and a 22 can if that meets your needs.

I've got the 30 cal cgs hyperion K, I run it on my 300 win mag and I love it. I just took it out coyote hunting on my ar and it was more than sufficient for my needs when suppressing my shots. Id start with the big, and see how badly you think you need the smaller one.