SW Montana experience, and Little Belt Hunter Numbers

WIhunt5

FNG
Struck out in September archery hunting in SW Montana, covered many different areas but could only get on older animal sign. Seems I couldn't get far enough away from roads and other hunters to get into elk. Was getting at least 2.5-3 miles from roads and still was not seeing anything. Was a rather disappointing experience, I had figured that I would at least be able to find some fresh sign or see an elk, even if It wasn't a close encounter. I am now planning my October Gun hunt and wondering If I should go back to SW Montana and try again, or to try a new area. I have been looking in the Little Belts and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences in those areas? I am wondering if it is also overrun with people and 4-wheelers? Is it possible to get far enough away from roads to not be so pressured without using horses. I am kind of at a loss trying to make a decision.

bsnedeker

WKR
If you thought archery season was crowded be prepared for a major disappointment for general season. Overall I think a lot of guys skipped archery because it was hot and smokey so they're going to show up, in force, for rifle opener.

There was a TON of people out during opening week in the area I hunted....3rd week was a ghost town.

jmav58

WKR
If you are trying to get away from roads, atvs, and hunters I would not go to the little belts!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What he said. I live in the Castles, just south of the Little Belts and it is incredible how many people are there for general season. Archery this year was full as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
There was a TON of people out during opening week in the area I hunted....3rd week was a ghost town.
Interesting...I was moose hunting so I missed opener but where I was moose hunting last week there was a camp every 200 yards along the sideroads. Maybe someone told a bunch of guys to head to that area on a forum and that's where they ended up. At any rate, I full on expect rifle season to be especially busy.

bsnedeker

WKR
I just re-read your original post and I have a couple of pointers that might help you out:

1. You are planning an Oct. rifle hunt....I would advise against this. That means you are planning on hunting opening week of rifle. This is a ZOO in every corner of the state. If you can wait until November the crowds become less.

2. Stop worrying about "getting away from roads". We've killed two bulls so far this season and they were killed less than 1000 yards from a road...COMBINED! I killed my bull about 200 yards off an ATV trail. Elk in MT are used to roads, they are used to ATVs. They are going to hang out in pockets regardless of whether you are 100 yards, or 5 miles from a road.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Go when the weather turns to crap.

I'll echo the 'get away from roads' mentality is far from a hard and fast rule despite what about every podcast and forum post says that you need to get away from people and walk in miles and miles. Guess what- thats what a lot of people are doing now and in some cases its going to push animals into other pockets that may be closer to roads/trails. All of this is situation specific of course but dont just blindly go into an area and think you have to walk in 9 miles

cgasner1

WKR
Get away from 4 wheelers- Ha!

A few years ago in the Castles and a couple other areas we saw highways of Quad tracks looping around locked gates. …A total disregard for road closures.

Its funny, Montanans complain about non residents but then the guys we saw totally disregarding the rules were all Montanans.

It’s funny how that works with every state when most the time it is residents because they know the area and aren’t scared to do things of that nature was same way when I went to Utah last year roads around the 50” gate I couldn’t imagine going to another state and pulling this stuff

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
i used to be a strong believer in the the go where no one else will and go further than anyone else. now a days that is impossible. woods in montana are crowded and in my personal opinion there are about half the acessible elk there were 5 years ago atleast in the areas i hunt. this also leads to more people hunting longer because number of hunting days per kill have increased. from my personal experience hunting has got a lot harder in the last few years.

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking to get away from people and atvs, the Little Belts are not what you are looking for!

I just re-read your original post and I have a couple of pointers that might help you out:

1. You are planning an Oct. rifle hunt....I would advise against this. That means you are planning on hunting opening week of rifle. This is a ZOO in every corner of the state. If you can wait until November the crowds become less.

2. Stop worrying about "getting away from roads". We've killed two bulls so far this season and they were killed less than 1000 yards from a road...COMBINED! I killed my bull about 200 yards off an ATV trail. Elk in MT are used to roads, they are used to ATVs. They are going to hang out in pockets regardless of whether you are 100 yards, or 5 miles from a road.
The only post you need to read ^^^

fatlander

WKR
The zoo that is central Montana general units is something I feel needs to be experienced and cannot be grasped through text.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'd echo above - especially distance from roads, not always required. You are not going to get away from people or 4-wheelers in the LBs.

Any general elk district on public land is going to be busy with people. Weekdays are your best bet for being less crowded but if there’s an elk herd spotted, word seems to get out quickly. Personally I like hunting in November when there’s some good snow and extreme cold, seems to thin out the crowds a bit.

E Butler

Lil-Rokslider
Same story with me in western Montana. I saw a nice 6x6 and three cows the first day and couldn’t get around and down wind before dark. I decided to back out and come the next day witch was a big mistake. We could not even find old sign much less hear any bugling. Eight days not a single bugle. We were able to find herds down on the private ranches after figuring out that it was a severe drought in that part of the west and there was zero water up on our area. Only excitement was have a mountain lion stalk in to camp 5’ behind me while I was sitting under the tent awning. My buddy jumped out of his chair screaming in my face and I figured out real quick he was not yelling at me be something right behind me. We had to kill the cat and called the Game warden who came out and dig the investigation and report.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking to get away from people and atvs, the Little Belts are not what you are looking for!
You see guys say this about pretty much any unit aside from some of the real wilderness units. A lot of people are out hunting everywhere, yet animals still get killed. Try and stay out there , keep a good/realistic attitude and hope you are one of the guys that kills one.

bsnedeker

WKR
You see guys say this about pretty much any unit aside from some of the real wilderness units. A lot of people are out hunting everywhere, yet animals still get killed. Try and stay out there , keep a good/realistic attitude and hope you are one of the guys that kills one.
I don't think a single person in this thread said you couldn't kill elk there. He is specifically asking for a place to get away from roads and ATV's and that is what people are responding to (at least that's what my response was about).

If you've never been....the little belts are absolutely crawling with roads and ATV trails which is why it is one of the PRIME places people in MT go with their ATV's to go tearing through the mountains.

Just go down into White Sulphur first week of rifle and wait along the road where all the trucks are parked. You will see elk in a shooting gallery. My advice is get the combo tag as we saw mule deer everywhere we went last year during rifle. Once you dial in on some mule deer the elk are bound to walk out of the woods in front of you.