Swaro 12s or 15s?

Bobinbend

FNG
I have the EL 12's. To do it all over again, I would go with the 15's SLC. Going to sell the ELs soon as I find the time and the SLCs, HD.

Bobinbend

FNG
I don't get along with spotting scopes. My style of hunting requires a spotter of some sort. The 12s are just a bit shy and I think the extra horsepower of the 15s would be of benefit. Apparently, the clarity is more than adequate on the 15's. Both really require a tripod so that aspect does not change for me.

BBob

WKR
I have both 12's and 15's. For pure glassing the 15's beat the 12's, might not be much but IMO they do. 12's are a compromise and many down here that went that path have or are going back to 15's.

I’d go with the SLC’s. Compared my 18x56 Razor UHD’s to my dads 15 year old 15x SLC and they still give a crisper picture than the UHD’s.

I agree with the guys that say if you want 1 pair of do it all binos, the 12s might be it. Still light, but you can put them on the tripod when picking terrain apart.
That said. I am a fan of using 10x42s for walking around and using off hand. Then having the 15x56s on the tripod. I was a 10s and spotting scope guy until I hunted AZ with one of my buddies. He is a born and raised AZ buck hunter. He swears by the 15s. He absolutely killed me on finding deer. Wasn’t even funny. I went back to MT, ordered 15s, and now I use them a ton. One of my favorite things that I absolutely love to do, is hiking around and glassing through the 15s.
If your current 10s are good quality. I would seriously consider getting the 15s. That combo is a lot of versatility

I agree with the guys that say if you want 1 pair of do it all binos, the 12s might be it. Still light, but you can put them on the tripod when picking terrain apart.
That said. I am a fan of using 10x42s for walking around and using off hand. Then having the 15x56s on the tripod. I was a 10s and spotting scope guy until I hunted AZ with one of my buddies. He is a born and raised AZ buck hunter. He swears by the 15s. He absolutely killed me on finding deer. Wasn’t even funny. I went back to MT, ordered 15s, and now I use them a ton. One of my favorite things that I absolutely love to do, is hiking around and glassing through the 15s.
If your current 10s are good quality. I would seriously consider getting the 15s. That combo is a lot of versatility
I've really been contemplating getting some 15's to go with my 8x30 slc's that are over 20yrs old (they still are great glass). I'm pretty sure I won't need them cause I'll mostly be elk hunting black timber, but I'd love to have the option. I'm really intrigued by the 10+15x50 Leica's. kinda the best of both worlds in 1 bino. Anyone use these?

Last edited:
The SLC 15 are money on a tripod. I bought a pair last year and love them. I hardly pulled out the spotting scope during the hunting season because they work so great.

I've really been contemplating getting some 15's to go with my 8x30 slc's that are over 20yrs old (they still are great glass). I'm pretty sure I won't need them cause I'll mostly be elk hunting black timber, but I'd love to have the option. I'm really intrigued by the 10+15x50 Leica's. kinda the best of both worlds in 1 bino. Anyone use these?
My oldest son and I have Leica Geovid 10x42s. Then the 15x56 Geovids on the tripod. My wife uses a pair of older 8-12x42 Leica Duovids. Pretty damn good combo. I eventually do want to get a modular Sworo spotting scope, but I keep prioritizing other stuff. Our bino compliment is pretty damn good for most hunts

My oldest son and I have Leica Geovid 10x42s. Then the 15x56 Geovids on the tripod. My wife uses a pair of older 8-12x42 Leica Duovids. Pretty damn good combo. I eventually do want to get a modular Sworo spotting scope, but I keep prioritizing other stuff. Our bino compliment is pretty damn good for most hunts
wow, you have a nice setup. I'm trying to talk myself into some new one's, but keep thinking that I won't get much use out of higher power with all that black timber. But, I guess another way to look at it is that a higher magnification could come in handy if I'm trying to really dissect an area full of brush and trees in order to see a hiding animal. whether it be walking down a draw, or glassing a forested mountainside.

Comparing the Leica Geovid 15s to the Swaro SL 15s… I would think side by side, the Swaros would probably win out.
But I got an excellent deal on the Leicas. They have the range finder, and they’re damn clear. I couldn’t justify several hundred more for the Swaros without range finder. I am really happy with them. Ranging while scanning from the tripod is pretty nice in the terrain and distances I’m dealing