Swaro STC “BIG EYES”

I had heard rumor of a compact spotting scope in the summer of 2022, and September 2nd 2022 Swarovski confirmed it, the STC/ATC were coming. I immediately placed an order and had one in my hands a few months later. From the second I looked through it, my dream was a set of big eyes out of two of these spotters so I could ditch the BTX. (I despise angled spotters)

The problem was/is…. The eyepieces don’t “roll” like traditional spotting scopes. I was on the horn with Adams Adapters asking if he thought there was a way…

Fast forward to now and I finally have them in my hands.

After columniation (it took a little patience) I just did a 2 hour glassing session with them and holy shit am I impressed.

I believe I will be sending my SLC 15x56’s down the road. Never thought I’d say that.

I’m going to use the hell out of these things in the next few months, I’ll keep updating as I get some hard use on them.

IMG_5233.jpegIMG_5231.jpegIMG_5232.jpeg

Elkangle

WKR
🤔

I looked into this and was basically told it couldn't be done, doesn't look like much room for error!! Any chance you could give some type of eye measurements?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Wouldn’t you think a company like Swarovski would (could? Not certain it’s a solvable problem for their engineers or a desire of their management). design, engineer and manufacture a product that‘d afford a solution for their niche customer base…damn.

Literally would OWN the market if they’d make correct decisions.

Glad you’ve engineered a backyard solution Swarovski engineers couldn’t provide.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
🤔

I looked into this and was basically told it couldn't be done, doesn't look like much room for error!! Any chance you could give some type of eye measurements?
Minimum InterPupilary Distance is 2.5” with the scopes mounted as close as they will go as shown. They can adjust wider.

OP
Travis Hobbs
🤔

I have a 2.5” pupillary distance and I have got them touching. It’s definitely not going to work for a lot of people.

I had a couple buddies over and to my surprise they all needed them slightly wider.

I have no idea what the ordinary pupillary distance is or how many people these would work for….

OP
Travis Hobbs
Wouldn’t you think a company like Swarovski would (could? Not certain it’s a solvable problem for their engineers or a desire of their management). design, engineer and manufacture a product that‘d afford a solution for their niche customer base…damn.

Literally would OWN the market if they’d make correct decisions.

Glad you’ve engineered a backyard solution Swarovski engineers couldn’t provide.

I think if they made a binocular very similar to the compact spotters they would kill it. Especially if they had a variable zoom 15x or so up to 35-40x

All the credit goes to Adams Adapters on making a bracket…he builds a first class bracket with a ton of thought.

BBob

WKR
I keep thinking I'm interested in these but for what I use my twins for and how they've done for me so far I'm not sure I want to give up the 25-50x. The STC's sure are more compact than the STS's and I'm sure they are going to be great.
After columniation (it took a little patience)
What collimation method did you use? I have my own ways but curious as to how he suggests going about it.

Would love to get a total weight of your setup and thoughts on optical performance compared to the BTX. Looks like it would balance nicely on the tripod head.

With the lower minimum power/FOV I can imagine only needing some 8x32 binos on the chest to pair with these… potentially more versatile than my 12x plus BTX combo

Elkangle

WKR
I tried to get the maven guys to build a similar optic a few years back and they couldn't see the use of it, super nice guys but didn't seem like there was much field experience involved with the convo....the btx is just to much 80ish% of the time...and it sucks out of the truck...considering ditching the btx for something along this but will have to measure my eyeballs some how 1st

Thanks diving in head first 👍

6.5x284

WKR
Jealous. Ordered it the day he released it but I’m a 2.45 IPD and it doesn’t work for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Travis Hobbs
I keep thinking I'm interested in these but for what I use my twins for and how they've done for me so far I'm not sure I want to give up the 25-50x. The STC's sure are more compact than the STS's and I'm sure they are going to be great.

What collimation method did you use? I have my own ways but curious as to how he suggests going about it.

I think where these are going to shine is the more compactness and packability vs the full size set ups, but 40x does indeed leave me wanting a little more sizing up mule deer at a long distance. I’m probably still going to use a spotter in conjunction with them I’m guessing at certain times.

I think for me personally is the ability to glass at 17-20x…… it is such a handy magnification to glass at. Field of view is just incredible I always wanted something in between 15’s and a spotter…. This is going to fit the bill.

I had played with some bigger “big eye” setups so I kind of had the idea on collimation, but I found his video very helpful.

OP
Travis Hobbs
Would love to get a total weight of your setup and thoughts on optical performance compared to the BTX. Looks like it would balance nicely on the tripod head.

With the lower minimum power/FOV I can imagine only needing some 8x32 binos on the chest to pair with these… potentially more versatile than my 12x plus BTX combo

So entire STC “big eye” setup is 5lbs 14oz with an outdoorsman’s balance rail on bottom.

For reference- My STX 95mm is right about the same weight (It’s over 5 pounds for sure) I believe Swaro 15 SLC’s are just under 3 pounds.

For anyone wondering size- it’s 11.5” long 5” wide and with included handle about 4” tall.

As far as comparison to the BTX- I think the BTX missed on (2) giant fronts for the western hunter.

1) Fixed Zoom….. this is huge for me. The fact you can’t zoom in and out cripples the BTX for me. It reduces its functionality in the field at least 70% for me.

2) Angled….. I have a very weird stance on this, but I believe angled spotting scopes cost hunters a lot of opportunity at game Western Hunting. To be effective western hunting you need to be using binoculars off a tripod over and over to cover the entire landscape you can see and maximize numbers, especially during prime time. You should constantly be switching back and forth from binoculars to spotting scope…. Doing that with an angled spotter is a giant pain in the ass, takes time and before long, people give up using binos on the tripod or using a spotter.

You’re also not using a btx out the window of a vehicle. Maybe for 5 minutes with a serious neck cramp 😂 . I think late season it’s important to be mobile and comfortable. And standing outside in blizzard or freezing your ass off when you could be glassing out the heated dry cab of your truck is just stupid.

3) The weight and bulk of BTX is incredible, I hated packing mine, it sat in the truck or at home because of this fact alone.

ShakeDown

WKR
Man, right when I think I’ve got everything I need.

I have an 2.6 ID so these should work.

I used the Kowa highlanders, Kowa 664 twin big eyes and the BTX side by side this year on a Coues hunt. BTX ain’t it for me. Highlanders weigh too damn much. This might be it.

TravKatQ

WKR
Recently tried this bracket and like others have stated my eyes were too narrow to make these work, I was right at 2.55 ipd. Adam does some great work and his adapters are top notch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkangle

WKR
For all my narrow eyed friends out there..I will let ya know if they respond

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240203_143024_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240203_143024_Gmail.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 102