Swarovski 10x42 - NL vs EL Review

OP
StopMakingSense
I received the forehead rest yesterday, so far initial impressions are a game changer to me for one-handed use. I, unfortunately, have to head home for a funeral so DOF and field use this weekend with the forehead rest hunting some wirey bucks will have to wait until my rifle hunt in October for elk.

However a few gripes that seem off to me right now during initial impressions.

- The forehead rest does not sit flush to the binoculars, it's just odd to me that metal inserts are showing. Swarovski said this is correct and there should be no audible click when inserting. Instead, the forehead rest inserts are based on friction. This make for a very smooth and fast insert into the binoculars. I don't see these coming out under any conditions when inserted.

- The entire forehead rest does feel a bit loose when inserted which does make it feel 'cheap' to me. But, I think this is by design to allow for the best contact to your forehead. It allows you to apply pressure to the initial rest that contacts your forehead which is about 30 degrees of movement, same design from the BTX. The entire rest then allows for a second point of pressure of about 5 degrees of movement that allows for you to really settle into the binocular.

- One of the female inserts inside the binocular that accepts the male portion of the forehead rest came out. I had a picture sent over to Swarovski for review to their tech team as I couldn't get an answer.

- Lastly, not so much a gripe, but what bino harness is going to fit this? My medium Marsupial is struggling 😂

IMG_3098.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Seems rather short sighted for that headrest not to sit flush for 3 points of contact and STABILITY. I can see right now mine is going to have a shim glued to it...

OP
StopMakingSense
I just updated my thoughts, I believe it's by design, it really feels glued to my face with the initial headrest having about 30 degrees of movement then the actual rest to have an additional finite 5 degrees. You can push into it slightly and it feels great for stability.

Like I said before eye cup placement is critical on these. My 3 points, well 5, are my hands, my two eye sockets, then the forehead rest.