Swarovski 12s vs 15s

I'm going to order a pair of Swaro binoculars Monday. I had my heart set on SLC 15s as I've been using a lesser pair of 15s for many years and it works great for my style of hunting.

However, I keep reading about how great EL 12s are and I'm curious as to whether the price is worth the premium over the 15s. Are the ELs that much better?

I've never used 12s of any kind so I don't know how I'd like the lower power but I'm a glass slut for sure . If the glass is a significant step up I'm leaning towards the 12s.

Trr15

WKR
I've been debating trying a set of 12x ELs myself. From what I gather, guys are using these as all around binos, chest carry and tripod mount. Most guys seem to reserve 15x for tripod use and generally carry lower power binos on their chest. Right now I've 8x, 10x and 15x. Thinking hard about consolidating two of the three and going w/12x. Curious to see the replies here.

DavePwns

WKR
If the "lesser" pair worked great then the SLC 15s will be awesome, personally I bought the EL 12s because they are small enough that they can be used on my chest for quick glances, if you are planning on only tripod use, the SLC will be perfect for you. The only thing you are gaining with the 12s is a bit more light, edge to edge fattening and wider field of view.

OP
W
If the glass in the ELs isn't a big step up I'll go with the 15s and not wonder if I'm lacking. I'm probably the only idiot that carries 15s as my only bino, chest carry for quick glances and tripod when it's time to get serious.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I had the 15 first an took them 50% of the time. I bought the 12s a couple of years later and took them 100% of the time. The 12s will do pretty much everything the 15s will do with a much better FOV, they are lighter and you can handhold them.

I still need a spotter for most hunts or scouting trips.

To answer your question, no the glass is not that much different.

OP
W
I sold my spotter to help fund the binocular purchase. I found myself hardly ever using it, just didn't need it for my hunting style. I simply need a great all purpose binocular .

Before someone suggests 10s, I'm not doing it . Doesn't work for me at all.

OP
W
I think I would like them , just not sure if I'd like them enough to justify the price difference. I know the 15s will work for me, but I have zero experience with any 12s .

marktole

WKR
I won't suggest 10's to you since you have already stated "I'm not doing it," but what I will do is tell you about my experience with 10x50 ELs and 15x56 SLCs.

I would usually carry 10s and a spotter, then I bought into the hype and got some 15s to try out. They were cool, but even if I just carried the 10s and 15s I still found myself using the 10s 99% of the time, even when tripod mounted. Actually found myself wishing I had my spotting scope most of the time too, instead of the 15s.

Why? I found the wider field of view, flatter image, and brighter picture of the 10x ELs all culminated to make them superior at finding game over the 15x SLCs even though they were less magnification, at least to my eyes.

I would recommend the 12x ELs if you're going to use them for an all around bino, that's just my opinion based on my experience. I have thought about going to 12x ELs myself, but for 2x more it seems like too much of a hassle to trade/sell mine and get a new pair, then get the Outdoorsman stud installed. Plus a big FOV is important to me and the 10x does have a slight edge there over the 12x.

As far as you using 15x binos on your chest, I know a couple guys who do that and they both swear by it. I could never hand hold them steady enough for that though.

Good luck with your choice, I don't think there is any chance you would regret spending the money on the 12x ELs.

samolot

FNG
Another good option is to buy off Amazon, especially if you have Prime. Seemless return policy.

Brooks

WKR
I bought a pair of 12x50el’s and they are awesome !! They’re all I’ll have with me this year. I also bought a Kuiu pro bino harness in XL for them and they fit perfect.