Swarovski EL 10x42 worth the cost?

OP
P

Phone Guy

FNG
So I live in far northern California and decided to call up to the Medford OR area due to no sales tax. Well I called the right place and was told they had an in store manager special and I could get the EL 10x42 for $1899 and they had the EL 10x42 Range for $2499. I couldn't believe it so I asked to verify that they were indeed the EL and yes but the EL's they had were the floor model but the Range's were new in the box. So I called the Wife and asked if she wanted to do something a little crazy? "Yes" so we left at about 5 and drove to Medford to get the binos. I found the floor model was made 09/15 so I opted for the new 10x42 Range for exactly $2499. I saved $1047 adding sales tax into the regular price of the EL 10x42 range. I'm happy.

Trial153

WKR
So I live in far northern California and decided to call up to the Medford OR area due to no sales tax. Well I called the right place and was told they had an in store manager special and I could get the EL 10x42 for $1899 and they had the EL 10x42 Range for $2499. I couldn't believe it so I asked to verify that they were indeed the EL and yes but the EL's they had were the floor model but the Range's were new in the box. So I called the Wife and asked if she wanted to do something a little crazy? "Yes" so we left at about 5 and drove to Medford to get the binos. I found the floor model was made 09/15 so I opted for the new 10x42 Range for exactly $2499. I saved $1047 adding sales tax into the regular price of the EL 10x42 range. I'm happy.
That's a steal

Hunter270

FNG
If you do the Cabela's gift cards from raise.com and use Activejunky.com you can usually line up about 20-25% off new products at Cabela's. Also, if you have the Cabela's credit card and wait for a 10% day you can snag your EL's for 30-35% off.

$2,689 retail
- 268.9 10% club day
$2,420
- 2,400 pd in raise.com online gift cards (actual cost today $2,131.20 for a savings of 268.8) 11.2% off 100
$20 charged to Cabela's card to use 10% off day

If you link through Activejunky.com to make this order then you will get $268.9 back as a rebate in ~ 90days

Total EL cost: $1,882.40

It sounds like a lot of work but I could make this work in 10 min. If you don't have a Cabela's card you could buy them today for $2,151.30.

I have done this so much my head hurts when I look back at what I've spent but I got some top shelf stuff for cheap this way. After Christmas I'm buying a Kodiak tent next!

I don't know how long this will stay this way but It has worked for a few years like this. Also sometimes active junky is 5% back and sometime it's 15% so you just have to wait your deal out.

Good Luck!

This is the best thing I’ve ever seen. Thank you!!!!

I have to have the binoculars in my hand and try them out. Everyones eyes are different. I was just at Bass Pro and tried out my Swarovisons EL vs Vortex Razor UHD vs SLC. It was damn hard to make out a winner but for me it was the EL. You really have to get in some eye time and live with a pair for a few weeks. If you buy right used you can sell them and move on. The service from Swarovski is amazing. I will send you a PM about a pair of 10x42 EL I am going to sell.

Kilboars

WKR
I have a pair of EL's and I never have to question if my binos are good. Even with my questionable eyes I can see more than those without EL's

Buy once, cry once.

I bought mine new as a last years model for $1,600 from a person on eBay and drove an hour to pick them up.

Agar426

FNG
I have a pair of EL's and I never have to question if my binos are good. Even with my questionable eyes I can see more than those without EL's

Buy once, cry once.

I bought mine new as a last years model for $1,600 from a person on eBay and drove an hour to pick them up.
That's a screaming deal! If I could come across a deal like that, I'd put all questions to rest and just jump in....

Kilboars

WKR
The guy had two at the time and was asking a little more but I offered him cash. Came in the original box with everything. I called Swarovski after I bought them to order some clips which they sent me for free and they said the EL's were sold to the Bass Pro there last year.

Did this comparison a couple of years ago and set out to compare alpha binoculars with the ELs at the top of my list. However, I found the Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 superior in just about every category. Don’t get me wrong, the ELs are a great glass, but they are a bit long-in-the-tooth and the Zeiss has simply surpassed them. Definitely brighter with with better depth and colors, less roller-ball effect and a vast FOV. It also has superb handling and balance in the hand - they carry much lighter than they are.

Did this comparison a couple of years ago and set out to compare alpha binoculars with the ELs at the top of my list. However, I found the Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 superior in just about every category. Don’t get me wrong, the ELs are a great glass, but they are a bit long-in-the-tooth and the Zeiss has simply surpassed them. Definitely brighter with with better depth and colors, less roller-ball effect and a vast FOV. It also has superb handling and balance in the hand - they carry much lighter than they are.
I currently own both Zeiss Victory SF 8x42 and Swarovski 10x50 EL binos and I prefer the Swarovski. I think it's quite subjective to say that Zeiss has "surpassed" the ELs.

I currently own both Zeiss Victory SF 8x42 and Swarovski 10x50 EL binos and I prefer the Swarovski. I think it's quite subjective to say that Zeiss has "surpassed" the ELs.
As I said earlier, “don’t get me wrong, the ELs are a great glass ....”. Comparing an 8x42 to a 10x50 glass is’t exactly apples-to-apples. I agree with you that everyone’s eyes are just a bit different but I’ll stand behind what I said about the Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 T* (mine is the newer upgraded 2017 model). To me, the image is brighter with more vivid color, with a noticeably wider FOV and better balance/ergonomics. I’ve always noticed the slightest amber tint and much more of a roller-ball effect when panning with the ELs (many EL reviewers have complained about this as well). Also, not a Swaro basher. I own several, including a Z5 on my favorite sheep rifle. Also own Leica, Meopta, Maven, Nikon and Leupold. All are outstanding in their specific application.

Below is a link to a birding expert review (using scientific instruments) of the Leica Notivid, Swarovski EL, and Zeiss Victory SF T*. Their instruments detected no discernible difference between the three in terms of resolution and brightness (which is subjective and perceived differently from person to person). However, in weighing/testing all features and functions of the three they came to same conclusion as I did, the Zeiss had better optics and ergonomics than either the Leica or Swarovski.

Although your actual mileage may vary.

As I said earlier, “don’t get me wrong, the ELs are a great glass ....”. Comparing an 8x42 to a 10x50 glass is’t exactly apples-to-apples. I agree with you that everyone’s eyes are just a bit different but I’ll stand behind what I said about the Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 T* (mine is the newer upgraded 2017 model). To me, the image is brighter with more vivid color, with a noticeably wider FOV and better balance/ergonomics. I’ve always noticed the slightest amber tint and much more of a roller-ball effect when panning with the ELs (many EL reviewers have complained about this as well). Also, not a Swaro basher. I own several, including a Z5 on my favorite sheep rifle. Also own Leica, Meopta, Maven, Nikon and Leupold. All are outstanding in their specific application.
Mine are also the Victory SF T*, to clarify. I agree with you on the balance point and general ergos. The comparison isn't 10 vs 10 magnification wise but I just prefer the ELs personally. It'll differ from person to person. It also may be influenced by that fact that I wear glasses. I seem to have issues that people who do not wear glasses do not have. Swarovski seems to be the most glasses-friendly alpha glass brand to me. I had real issues looking through Leica binoculars, theirs were the worst for me as far as how much of the image I could actually see due to short eye relief.

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Great optics reveal their worth when conditions are less than ideal. Zeiss & Swarovski are both amazing. I prefer the image rendering & flat field of the EL, while my hunting buddy swears by his SLC. Having stated that, neither of our older set of eyes could see squat compared to what my teenage child could with a 40 yr old Nikon.

Rbw1989

FNG
I am in the same boat as the OP. I find myself looking up reviews and comparing everything to the Swarovski ELs. I See that as a common trend among these threads so I’m taking that as a sign. Seems like the ELs are pretty much the benchmark for the best glass. Now if I can score a deal on some 12x50 then I’d be in business. Especially after spending a week in Arizona behind some vortex viper hd 12x50s, I will for sure be biting the bullet and getting exactly what I want this time.

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
The focus knob on the SLC's is what made me sell mine. The EL's are very good along with the Zeiss sf. 8.5x42 are also phenomenal glass. I like my Nikon HG better than the slc

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ckrhtr

FNG
After having SLC's and EL's glassing bedded bulls at long distances side by side I would take the EL's all day long every day. IMO they really do not separate themselves until you are glassing during marginal light and at long distances. If the majority of the glassing that did was within 1,000 yds in decent light it may be a different story.

lacire

FNG
I currently own the black Zeiss SF 8x42 and would recommend them to anyone looking for a top tier bino.

Last edited: