Swarovski NL Pure 12x42 Vs EL 12x50

I am buying new glass and want a 12x. I’ve narrowed it down between these. Which ones would you pick and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Why would you not got x50? Same brand and model, what's the weight difference? Probably negligible, and you get more intake for low light viewing.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Why would you not got x50? Same brand and model, what's the weight difference? Probably negligible, and you get more intake for low light viewing.
NL Pure is MUCH different than EL.

Low light. Irving is not a concern with the NL.

If given the choice AND giving me an extra $1000 to use the ELs, I would pick the NL Pure every single time.

Those 50mm ELs feel like a brick compared to the 10x42 NLs.

Beendare

WKR
My guide buddy has both (NL in 10x) ….and I’ve played with them but not in a side by side comparison. He had the EL50’s first.

The 50mm EL are definitely brighter than the 42.…but also noticeably bigger and heavier. I use a 10x42SLC swaro for most of my hunting….and when I first looked through those 12x50’s it was a “ Wow” like going from a computer monitor to a big screen 4k tv type wow.

The NLs (10x I haven’t seen the 12x) were a similar wow….the best 10x42 I‘ve seen- amazing they could be that much better than my SLC.

Personally, I don’t like the heavy binos Hanging around my neck all day and I have a hard time holding the 12 steady enough without bracing them on something.

Sorry, I don’t know which I would choose. It depends on your priorities.

OP
C
My guide buddy has both (NL in 10x) ….and I’ve played with them but not in a side by side comparison. He had the EL50’s first.

The 50mm EL are definitely brighter than the 42.…but also noticeably bigger and heavier. I use a 10x42SLC swaro for most of my hunting….and when I first looked through those 12x50’s it was a “ Wow” like going from a computer monitor to a big screen 4k tv type wow.

The NLs (10x I haven’t seen the 12x) were a similar wow….the best 10x42 I‘ve seen- amazing they could be that much better than my SLC.

Personally, I don’t like the heavy binos Hanging around my neck all day and I have a hard time holding the 12 steady enough without bracing them on something.

Sorry, I don’t know which I would choose. It depends on your priorities.

So I’m upgrading from maven B5 Binos and those weigh a ton so I’m use to the weight around my neck. I’m stuck between these 2 because I want 12x. I live in CO and hunt elk and mule deer and usually my glassing is 500-1000 yards away. I will be pairing it with my ATX 95mm. How much better are the EL over the NL for lowlight?

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the Leica Noctivid, the Swaro NL Pures, and the Zeiss Victory all in 10x42. I prefer the Zeiss over the other 2. I'm not sold on the ergonomics of the NL. Glass is good on all 3, the edges are super super clean on the NL and better color. NL are mainly bird watching binos so as you can expect the color is better on the Swaros. The focus wheel on the NL is my least favorite of the 3, the Leica and Victory are both a lot smoother with the Victory being way on top. NL also has more stops on the eye cups which is nice. I think the Victory are going to serve you a lot better over hours of glassing as far as comfort, but NL or Victory are both top of the food chain and amazing. I have some Maven B.2 also, but not even in the same game as the 3 above. As far as 12x42 vs 12x50 it's about size and weight. Are you older? If so I would consider staying at 10x, 12x gets shaky as we get older, more power but there is a cost.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

OP
C
I have the Leica Noctivid, the Swaro NL Pures, and the Zeiss Victory all in 10x42. I prefer the Zeiss over the other 2. I'm not sold on the ergonomics of the NL. Glass is good on all 3, the edges are super super clean on the NL and better color. NL are mainly bird watching binos so as you can expect the color is better on the Swaros. The focus wheel on the NL is my least favorite of the 3, the Leica and Victory are both a lot smoother with the Victory being way on top. NL also has more stops on the eye cups which is nice. I think the Victory are going to serve you a lot better over hours of glassing as far as comfort, but NL or Victory are both top of the food chain and amazing. I have some Maven B.2 also, but not even in the same game as the 3 above. As far as 12x42 vs 12x50 it's about size and weight. Are you older? If so I would consider staying at 10x, 12x gets shaky as we get older, more power but there is a cost.

I’m not to old I guess lol, I’m 33. I glass 75% off a tripod so I’m not worried about the shakiness so to speak.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m not to old I guess lol, I’m 33. I glass 75% off a tripod so I’m not worried about the shakiness so to speak.

Ya then 12x50 are probably perfect for what you want. Zeiss does not make a 12x, I think the NL are likely the very best option. Congrats nice piece of equipment!

JakeSCH

WKR
Difference in low light is small, just a couple of minutes. My NL Pures are usually good past shooting time.

Low Light: NL < EL
FOV: NL > EL
Handhold: NL > EL

I also like that I can self install the outdoorsman stud on the NL Pures and did not have to ship them off. I personally went with NL Pure 12x42 but there is not really a wrong choice.

To me the FOV is the primary reason I went with NL Pure over the EL. On a tripod it gets you more area to look at.

Mojave

WKR
For me the NL's don't work because Swarovski doesn't do long eye relief on anything that isn't 50 or 56 mm.

So that would be my answer.

I have owned the 12x50 El's and they are pure sex!

To me the better EL is the 10x50, as it has longer eye relief and makes for a more immersive experience.

I hope some day Swarovski makes a 50mm NL pure.

BadDogPSD

WKR
I went with the 12x42 NL's as I don't like carrying big binos. I don't feel they give up much brightness compared to the 50's, and I normally have a spotter in the pack for a closer look when needed. Have you had a chance to look through both? You may want to add Leica Ultravids to your list for consideration. My 10x42's are fantastic and really only bought the 12x NL's for my 60+ year old eyes.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For me the NL's don't work because Swarovski doesn't do long eye relief on anything that isn't 50 or 56 mm.

To me the better EL is the 10x50, as it has longer eye relief and makes for a more immersive experience.

The Leica Noctivid has a longer eye relief I believe.

BadDogPSD

WKR

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider

You are abslolutely correct. I love 50mm Swarovskis for the eye relief, but they are just too big and heavy.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
NL Pure is MUCH different than EL.

Low light. Irving is not a concern with the NL.

If given the choice AND giving me an extra $1000 to use the ELs, I would pick the NL Pure every single time.

Those 50mm ELs feel like a brick compared to the 10x42 NLs.
I now see the title was 2 different models, I wrongly read it as the same model. Was before I had all my coffee in my system.