Swarovski NL Pure Binocular

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
That is the plate that came with the Siriu VA-5 head. Screwed the Dead On Industries adapter you that.

eltaco

WKR
I decided to order a pair of 10x42s.

I’m always drawn to 12s but just haven’t found enough stability in the past to perceive a better experience than the 10x. I really wonder if the forehead rest on the 12s would make them as stable as 10x without a rest... but I ended up going with what I’m most confident in based on previous experience.

Looking forward to it! The 8x that I looked through were very very impressive.

Rick M.

WKR
Mine came in today. I'm very happy I went with the 8x42. The FoV and image quality are both incredible. They balance in my hands like nothing else I've picked up. Not sure I love the forehead rest though. It feels like just the bottom edge wants to contact my forehead, which doesn't feel right. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? The fellas at Camera Land are a pleasure to work with.

D99AAAA6-02D6-4D2E-886F-8B1C37A070C7.jpeg8C41B60C-42FC-46FB-8759-EB11AA8F1A8C.jpeg5A8090BF-A267-4961-AE48-B8583EA95F59.jpegE3F6837B-F309-4E93-A07C-53CCCC598E2E.jpeg8A6C8B2E-3AC5-4E49-A54F-E55A0B4A65F0.jpeg

Last edited:

Rick M.

WKR
That is the plate that came with the Siriu VA-5 head. Screwed the Dead On Industries adapter you that.
@Steve O I like that Dead On Adapter. I use the Marsupial Gear harness and am wondering if that adapter would prevent me from being able to fit my 8s in the harness (I have the new full coverage model in small).

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Not sure how that Marsupial is set up but the adapter and plate add 3/4” to the thickness of the NL.

142DA758-0CC8-4EE6-9675-E01AD37A68E0.jpeg

Rick M.

WKR
Not sure how that Marsupial is set up but the adapter and plate add 3/4” to the thickness of the NL.

View attachment 234192

I ordered the Dead On adapter from goHUNT last night but got the smaller TY-50 Pro plate. Cody (optics manager) was really helpful and told me it should't be and issue with the Marsupial harness. He told me if it doesn't work out he'd eat the return shipping for the refund. Pretty good group of guys over there.

I'll post an update once it comes in and I have a chance to try it out, just in case others want to try this setup and use the same harness.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hunted with @ntrlbrnhunter for a week plus earlier this month. had multiple opps for side-by-side comparison of his 10X NL against my 8x EL Range. We traded several times. Our conclusions:

1) NL has same FOV at 10x as my 8x

2) NL was perceptibly clearer, probably in the unscientific range of 10%

3) He showed me more deer than I showed him, along the range of ~30%. He was on a window mount or tripod while I was handheld, and his eyes are 17 years my junior, but definitely didn’t spot more deer through the ELs is a sure bet.

4) Light transmission: The NLs won.

Take home for me is that NL is a clear step up from EL, except in steadiness when handheld, but for now...I’ll keep running my ELs as I don’t want the hassle of a separate rangefinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
If the Swarovski engineers could integrate a RELIABLE rangefinder that delivered a ballistic solution they’d have an incredible package.

Hunted with @ntrlbrnhunter for a week plus earlier this month. had multiple opps for side-by-side comparison of his 10X NL against my 8x EL Range. We traded several times. Our conclusions:

1) NL has same FOV at 10x as my 8x

2) NL was perceptibly clearer, probably in the unscientific range of 10%

3) He showed me more deer than I showed him, along the range of ~30%. He was on a window mount or tripod while I was handheld, and his eyes are 17 years my junior, but definitely didn’t spot more deer through the ELs is a sure bet.

4) Light transmission (I can’t remember! He’ll have to chime in then I’ll edit this post).

Take home for me is that NL is a clear step up from EL, except in steadiness when handheld, but for now...I’ll keep running my ELs as I don’t want the hassle of a separate rangefinder.

👍🏻👍🏻

I think the biggest surprise to me was how good the 10 NL’s did against the 8 EL’s as far as light transmission. We switched back and forth one night late just before dark.

Also, The FOV of the 10x unreal and really close to 8 EL’s.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

I think the biggest surprise to me was how good the 10 NL’s did against the 8 EL’s as far as light transmission. We switched back and forth one night late just before dark.

Also, The FOV of the 10x unreal and really close to 8 EL’s.

There you go, that’s what I was leaning towards but I could not remember. It was too long ago. Thanks Travis

J Batt

WKR
Dang, now I’m convinced I will never be happy or find another animal till I have some NLs. I’ll just need to win or steal $9k because I can’t decide which one I want.

Rick M.

WKR
Dang, now I’m convinced I will never be happy or find another animal till I have some NLs. I’ll just need to win or steal $9k because I can’t decide which one I want.

They are seriously incredible. Why 9k though? Would you be grabbing all three powers?

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the 12s, they are super sweet on a tripod and alright sitting down but glassing standing up I have trouble holding the 12 power still. I thought for sure I bought the do all end all but there is no such thing. Everything comes with a compromise. I definitely think the NL 12s are the best you are going to get for a bridge between the 10 and 15s. They did their job this fall as I found the bull bedded in the dark timber that lead me to the bull I killed!

I bought the 12s, they are super sweet on a tripod and alright sitting down but glassing standing up I have trouble holding the 12 power still. I thought for sure I bought the do all end all but there is no such thing. Everything comes with a compromise. I definitely think the NL 12s are the best you are going to get for a bridge between the 10 and 15s. They did their job this fall as I found the bull bedded in the dark timber that lead me to the bull I killed!

I was set on the 12x. I read these post and I'm torn. I have some SLCs 10x that I am happy with. The increase FOV would be nice with the 10x. 12x would give the same FOV as I have with my SLCs. I do glass from a tripod a lot but also w/o a tripod whenever I see something of interest.

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
I was set on the 12x. I read these post and I'm torn. I have some SLCs 10x that I am happy with. The increase FOV would be nice with the 10x. 12x would give the same FOV as I have with my SLCs. I do glass from a tripod a lot but also w/o a tripod whenever I see something of interest.

If you glass from a tripod a lot I think you’ll be fine. It’s the longer distance handholding that I found frustrating when on my hunt, I could not glass very effectively. Which kind of sucks because I don’t always like lugging the tripod around. I really wish I had a pair of 10 NLs to compare. I think I’m going to buy the headrest in hopes that it will help stabilize the image. I hate to sell the 12s, get the 10s, then have regret. I just get tired of the BS people put out in these reviews (not talking about the Rokslide review, he gives the most honest review IMO) if you read other reviews on the 12 like I did, they’ll leave you to believe they are stable enough to handhold with one hand, will replace 15s, etc... lol. But, hard to give you my opinion without trying the 10s first.

Sako300

WKR
Bingo BenHankins! The worst is when they say this is the best do it all binocular! Then they compare different powers and models whether it’s NLs or any other Models just to justify a reasonable reason! Or say well you need the headbrace, etccccc! Or you need to step down in power for free hand handling! Etcccc........