Swfa 3-9 opinion

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
As of right now I'm planning on picking up a swfa 3-9, next month on their tax sale. Purpose is hunting out to 500. What's some opinion on it? I like classic fixed tier the money. Had some issues with their turrets, but the hd turrets should fix it. Also glass improvement.
I looked away the NF SHV F1 but it just didn't tickle me. On paper the MK5 HD is perfect. And maybe I'll eventually upgrade to it, but right now I'm not ready to spend that much on a leupold. In short bang for buck for buck I'm leaning towards the swfa hd.
Any input from users on it?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Mine works great. Zero issues. Great value. Simple.

If you like fixed glass and are limiting opportunity to 500, why not make it easy and grab their 6x?

I’ve got two of the 3-9s. I really like them... simple and effective and lighter weight. I’ve shot steel out to 800 with them. Never an issue with tracking or return to zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Mine works great. Zero issues. Great value. Simple.

If you like fixed glass and are limiting opportunity to 500, why not make it easy and grab their 6x?
I also woods hunt. So i want to be able to dial it back down. I like their classic fixed i have a 10x, i also wouldn't want to hunt in their classic turret design. Ive had issues with the screws backing out and sliipping on the stem

prm

WKR
I like mine. I wish the windage was capped and the el knob lower. The reticle is okay in the timber. Glass is plenty good. Bang for the buck I’m not aware of anything close.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I lugged one around for several days in some pretty rough country last fall and it continues to dial/return to zero accurately. I was so impressed with it that I bought a second one during the sale around Thanksgiving just in case I pick up a new rifle that needs a good scope.

Like prm, if I could ask for any change, it would be a lower profile, capped windage turret. I taped mine up to lessen the chance of accidental movement but I am left handed and the turret sometimes digs into side when the rifle is in the gun bearer.

As of right now I'm planning on picking up a swfa 3-9, next month on their tax sale. Purpose is hunting out to 500. What's some opinion on it? I like classic fixed tier the money. Had some issues with their turrets, but the hd turrets should fix it. Also glass improvement.
I looked away the NF SHV F1 but it just didn't tickle me. On paper the MK5 HD is perfect. And maybe I'll eventually upgrade to it, but right now I'm not ready to spend that much on a leupold. In short bang for buck for buck I'm leaning towards the swfa hd.
Any input from users on it?

What issues did you have with the turrets?
I just picked up a 3-15 and so far I'm really liking it. Eye relief as others have said can be funny at high magnification. I passed on an SHV and the VX5 was also tempting. If the tracking issues are resolved with the cds zl2 turrets that will probably be my next scope.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
What issues did you have with the turrets?
I just picked up a 3-15 and so far I'm really liking it. Eye relief as others have said can be funny at high magnification. I passed on an SHV and the VX5 was also tempting. If the tracking issues are resolved with the cds zl2 turrets that will probably be my next scope.
It was one of two reason. The screws got to the point they would not stay tight. I use my fixed 10 for my testing scops when i get a new gun.

#1, where i move and rezored the scope so much. The stem got deformed from all the screw indentions.

#2 this i think is the real reason the material of the turret was to soft and the threads got to wore. .

It got to the point it just stay.

I sent it back and they sent me a replscement. No issues since.
I have the 1-4 classic. No issues with it. Is still relatively new

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I lugged one around for several days in some pretty rough country last fall and it continues to dial/return to zero accurately. I was so impressed with it that I bought a second one during the sale around Thanksgiving just in case I pick up a new rifle that needs a good scope.

Like prm, if I could ask for any change, it would be a lower profile, capped windage turret. I taped mine up to lessen the chance of accidental movement but I am left handed and the turret sometimes digs into side when the rifle is in the gun bearer.
How did the reticle do in low light and timber,?
Is the tunneling bad?

BAKPAKR

WKR
How did the reticle do in low light and timber,?
Is the tunneling bad?

It worked fine for me in the evening in the woods. I usually leave it on 6x though. Tunneling is pretty significant at 3x but a non-issue to me by 4x.

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
You will absolutely not regret that purchase at that price. I've been using one for a few years, haven't shot past 800 yards at the range and have killed to 500 in the field - excellent product and unbeatable value IMO.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have pictures of its reticle in woods.. how does it hold up .is it to thin?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Selling mine was a really stupid mistake, not sure why I did that, I was chasing the next best thing and wish I’d held on to it...,especially since it’s unclear when SWFA will ever get more to sell.

mall that being said, I’m also going to grab a few of the 6x when they have their sale.

jfs82

WKR
I like my 3x9, I'll be buying another this year to replace a more expensive, higher magnification scope I have on the backup rifle. Haven't really missed the extra mag at all.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
I also woods hunt. So i want to be able to dial it back down. I like their classic fixed i have a 10x, i also wouldn't want to hunt in their classic turret design. Ive had issues with the screws backing out and sliipping on the stem

I hunt in the woods entirely (logging lease). Not many 100 yard shots. 20-30 yards is normal. Last season I had the 6x and I had the same concerns. Turns out, it was pretty easy to use.

Bater

WKR
Probably the best deal in optics, especially when on sale. Nothing can touch it’s rugged internals and decent glass in it’s price range.

Wrench

WKR
I lost a rifle off a motorcycle. I had to beat the bolt open to get the dirt out, the crown clearly pole vaulted a rock. My scope went from like new to looking like it's owner washed it with barbed wire.

I had to do some smithery on the rifle to get it to shoot again but that same scope lives on never missed a beat.

The way I describe them is, sans parallax....they do everything you need and nothing you don't. There's better, but not at the same price.