SWFA business model?

MattB

WKR
Serious question. With all the business owners around here, has anyone broached the subject of buying out SWFA or at least the patents? I am currently testing a product with a similar business model, good rep for durability, value price, less than a 100 units currently be shipped to the US per year.
My 25-year career was spent in part financing mergers and acquisitions, so I have some insight into how prospective purchasers think about acquisition economics. It is virtually guaranteed to be about the limited total addressable market. You can have the best product in the world, but if your average sale price is under $1K and your maximum sales are a few thousand unit/year, the economics likely would not make sense.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What does that have to do with how good of a rifle scope they are?
A scope isn’t worth anything if you can’t purchase it. Other scopes still kill animals believe it or not, and at MUCH higher confirmed kill counts. Just making sure folks remember that you have options on optics if you want to actually kill animals.

A scope isn’t worth anything if you can’t purchase it. Other scopes still kill animals believe it or not, and at MUCH higher confirmed kill counts. Just making sure folks remember that you have options on optics if you want to actually kill animals.

Most of the Vortex line is usually readily available for immediate purchase.

A lot of game is taken every year with Vortex Scopes; most certainly more game than with SWFA scopes. Likewise, I'm sure tons and tons of game is taken each year with 700 style and Savage actions vs more robust designs. More Rocky boots are worn on hunts than Kenetrecs, Crispis and Miendels. Popularity doesn't have a direct correlation to which product is more mechanically sound. Popularity might be an indicator that a product meets the minimum use standard of a lot of users, but it's not a relevant measure of product equivalence.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Most of the Vortex line is usually readily available for immediate purchase.

A lot of game is taken every year with Vortex Scopes; most certainly more game than with SWFA scopes. Likewise, I'm sure tons and tons of game is taken each year with 700 style and Savage actions vs more robust designs. More Rocky boots are worn on hunts than Kenetrecs, Crispis and Miendels. Popularity doesn't have a direct correlation to which product is more mechanically sound. Popularity might be an indicator that a product meets the minimum use standard of a lot of users, but it's not a relevant measure of product equivalence.
Agree 100%... But you still can't kill something using a scope you can't obtain.

Luckily anyone who wants one can obtain it right now. Even when the 6x is gone, the 10x is still available most of the time.

Yep. It's never been impossible to get an SWFA, even the 6x42. You might have to pay $400 - $500 for their $300 scope...that performs better than most $1000 scopes, but they are available.

20 or more in stock right now, so get them while you can.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Luckily anyone who wants one can obtain it right now. Even when the 6x is gone, the 10x is still available most of the time.
Fixed 10 is a garbage big game hunting scope. I like the 6x mag for some applications, but the VAST majority want the 3-9, which is virtually unobtainable right now (see post #8 in this thread). Hence the reason this thread was even created...

Deywalker

FNG
Fixed 10 is a garbage big game hunting scope. I like the 6x mag for some applications, but the VAST majority want the 3-9, which is virtually unobtainable right now (see post #8 in this thread). Hence the reason this thread was even created...
I disagree about the 10x being "garbage", and question the vast majority wanting the 3-9. There were ~75 backordered around the time the previous batch of 6x scopes dropped, and the mil/mil was sold out by mid day, and the moa version a few days later. When the majority of people are running crossfires, diamondbacks, and other scopes of a similar price, I don't see the $600 3-9 being the one most people are willing to try. But its a niche brand only really known to enthusiasts, so I could be wrong.

Fixed 10X is nice. I hunted with it this year where I knew the game would be in open fields. Shot this 200 pound sea island buck in August with one. Nice for our area, where bucks run about 160. My other big game and critter rifles wear 6x42s. I hunt squirrels also with the 6X fixed, which keeps my short range acquisition skills honed.

20220831_185733.jpg

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I just ordered a mil 6x42. At $299 it does not appear there is anything comparable.

I know everyone is crazy about the 6x but I like the 10x's better. My vision isn't all that great so the extra magnification is helpful. I have a few of them on target and critter control rifles. Gets the job done just fine!

Sold one 6x and kept the other for an SPR. Bought two Athlon Helos Btr 2-12's to fill the void that perpetually backordered swfa 3-9's have left in my life. I'm under no illusion that they're as durable as swfa but I also don't drop my rifles too often. I'm sure I'll get by just fine!

I like Athlon's business model that revolves around offering products that they actually keep in stock. It sucks that the Helos is Chinese but I can live with it. I'd rather have a CCP scope on my rifle than no scope at all.