SWFA Question?

haeffnkr

Lil-Rokslider
Hi
I have a 5-20x50 SWFA scope.

Is the magnification in that scope similar/same as the fix power scopes?
I am trying to decide which fixed power scope I should get and was hoping to use my variable scope to test if the 12x or 16X will be best for my shots at deer between 200 and 400.

thanks haeffnkr

Last edited:

nobody

WKR
Kudos to you for checking out the SWFA fixed models.

That said, what you want is the 6x for what you're describing, MAYBE the 10x.

In response to your question, your 5-20's magnification will be similar, but the image quality will be a bit sharper (the 5-20 is the HD model, most of the fixed powers aren't HD). So keep that in mind.

Welcome to Rokslide

OP
H

haeffnkr

Lil-Rokslider
@nobody I have heard 6x maybe 10X is best for hunting but I dont understand why. I do a lot of hunting from fixed stands, good rests, 200 to 400 yard shots. I like to get as much zoom as possible to get as accurate as possible. On the other side I hear guys using 10x for 1000 yards steel shooting. I dont shoot steel at 1000 yards... but I dont know how such small magnification can get you close enough to hit steel at 1000 yards. I crank it up to 20 on 300 yard shots.

educate me please.
haeffnkr

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I used my fixed 6 on two coues deer this season both at 500 yards. You’re overthinking and using too much “zoom”. Get the 6 for the hunting yardages you’ve mentioned here.

nobody

WKR
@nobody I have heard 6x maybe 10X is best for hunting but I dont understand why. I do a lot of hunting from fixed stands, good rests, 200 to 400 yard shots. I like to get as much zoom as possible to get as accurate as possible. On the other side I hear guys using 10x for 1000 yards steel shooting. I dont shoot steel at 1000 yards... but I dont know how such small magnification can get you close enough to hit steel at 1000 yards. I crank it up to 20 on 300 yard shots.

educate me please.
haeffnkr
It has everything to do with ability to spot impacts and target re-acquisition after the shot occurs. The higher the magnification, the narrower the field of view, and the higher the likelihood you'll lose track of your animal when the shot goes off.

Old rule of thumb for accuracy (not precision, ACCURACY. There is a distinction here) is 1x magnification for every 100 yards for roughly a 12" target. I used to run scopes with 25x magnification or more, but the more I shot, the less magnification I wanted. I wanted to see my bullet trace at distance, and I wanted to be able to call my own hits and misses. I quickly found myself de-magnifying to a more modest zoom level in an effort to do so. My comfort went up, because the eye box improved, and my ability to shoot accurately and confidently improved drastically. I quickly realized my 4.5-27 (last high mag scope I owned), I never shot above about 10x, ever. Didn't matter if I was shooting our 1k yard gong, I wanted the field of view and comfortable eyebox behind the rifle.

If you pick up the 6x, you'll be surprised how good you'll shoot. You won't be winning the King of 2 Miles competitions, but you'll become extremely proficient very fast, and you'll have a fantastically capable do-it-all optic that will serve you well for many years to come.

Oh, and the price is nice too.

What rifle are you putting it on? Chambering? Model?

ljalberta

WKR
Palma shooters use iron sights to 1000 yards. 6x is plenty for normal hunting ranges.

I used a SWFA 10MQ for hunting this year. It certainly worked for hunting, but a 6MQ is a much better tool for those 500 or 600 and under ranges. Wider fov and greater ability to stay on target/get back on target after the shot.

The SWFA 3-9 might be a real good option for you.

OP
H

haeffnkr

Lil-Rokslider
If you pick up the 6x, you'll be surprised how good you'll shoot. You won't be winning the King of 2 Miles competitions, but you'll become extremely proficient very fast, and you'll have a fantastically capable do-it-all optic that will serve you well for many years to come.

Oh, and the price is nice too.

What rifle are you putting it on? Chambering? Model?

@nobody
A Rokslide special of course, Tikka T3x .223 :)

I have my 5-20 on a 280AI 14 pound file with a FB muzzle break. I can not spot shots and keep my head aligned in the scope to watch impact on the 280AI Thus wanting to try something with less recoil and watch shots.

nobody

WKR
@nobody
A Rokslide special of course, Tikka T3x .223 :)

I have my 5-20 on a 280AI 14 pound file with a FB muzzle break. I can not spot shots and keep my head aligned in the scope to watch impact on the 280AI Thus wanting to try something with less recoil and watch shots.
ESPECIALLY in that case, pick up the 6x. Mount it up with some Sportsmatch rings if you can find them. If not, pick up a picatinny rail, some Seekins Precision or Nightforce rings. Degrease it all, and mount/assemble everything according to the "how to mount a scope for zero retention" post on here.

OP
H

haeffnkr

Lil-Rokslider
I did a small search search for Mag to Yards... found a couple of things, one was 1x power for every 100 yards. seems crazy to me. But I am trying to learn. Where can I find out more about Accuracy vs Precision?

thanks again
haeffnkr

nobody

WKR
I did a small search search for Mag to Yards... found a couple of things, one was 1x power for every 100 yards. seems crazy to me. But I am trying to learn. Where can I find out more about Accuracy vs Precision?

thanks again
haeffnkr
Yup, that’s what I’m talking about. It’s a rough rule of thumb and a good place to start.

Accuracy pertains to your ability to hit a particular target. In the words of Form, when you’re hunting, “put it in the front half.” That’s all the accuracy you need, put a round in the front half of an animal.

Precision pertains to the system’s ability to hit a particular spot, over and over. So think F-Class shooting, tight groups at long distance. Rule of thumb is 2x magnification for every 100 yards for precision. So following that logic, your distance of 400 would only require an 8x magnification for precision

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
For most big game hunting, a 2.5X or 4X scope is adequate. Jack O'Connor said he took more game with a .270 and a 2.5X scope than any other rig. I'm sure most would prefer more magnification, but its really not necessary.

Wrench

WKR
I have several 10x and a couple 6x scopes. Had I stumbled upon the 6x first....I doubt the 10 would have showed up. The 6 is the best of all worlds, from the muzzle to 700ish it's completely usable on game sized targets.

prm

WKR
I’ve had a variety of scopes, but my two main hunting rifles have the 6X on them right now. Just an easy sighting device.

dsotm

Lil-Rokslider

educate me please.
haeffnkr
You're not seeing your impact at all with that kind of magnification.

WKR

thanks again
haeffnkr
I use a few 6x, 10x and 3-9. I also use some higher powered scopes. The 6x allowed me to shoot a bear one morning very early at 600 yards. They track very well, are durable, and provide an immense field of view. A person needs to look through one to understand. I've had a few people use mine and then order same for their rifles. Certainly to 400 yards it is plenty.

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
A target at 500 yards viewed through a 10x scope should appear as the same target viewed with the naked eye at 50 yards. 500/10=50.

Plenty of archers and marksmen can make a 50 shot with no magnification.

I use a 21x scope to shoot man sized targets beyond 2000 yards. It works good for me.

Last edited:

eric1115

WKR

thanks again
haeffnkr
I usually find myself around 1x-1.5x per 100 yards, almost never more than 2x per hundred (unless shooting groups for load development at 100 or something like that). Fixed power scopes give some flexibility on that, as they usually have a wider field of view than a variable power scope would have at that magnification.

You need far less magnification than you think to shoot well. You want far less magnification than you think you need, for follow-up shots, watching impacts, and watching the animal after impact. Next range trip, try shooting a 300 yard target on 5x and see for yourself. I will say it does take some practice to really be comfortable with it and confident that you really aren't giving anything up by shooting at lower magnification.

I easily see impacts through the scope on my 10lb 7mm RM with a modest brake.