SWFA Question?

The 5-20hd should be comparable to the 10hd but far better than the normal SS scopes.

I think the 5-20 image is fantastic, and I’ve never been terribly impressed by the glass of the 6,10,12,16 ss scopes

OP
H

haeffnkr

Lil-Rokslider
A target at 500 yards viewed through a 10x scope should appear as the same target viewed with the naked eye at 50 yards. 500/10=50.

Plenty of archers and marksmen can make a 50 shot with no magnification.

I use a 21x scope to shoot man sized targets beyond 2000 yards. It works good for me.
wow ... just wow

OP
H

haeffnkr

Lil-Rokslider
I usually find myself around 1x-1.5x per 100 yards, almost never more than 2x per hundred (unless shooting groups for load development at 100 or something like that). Fixed power scopes give some flexibility on that, as they usually have a wider field of view than a variable power scope would have at that magnification.
Very interesting point. I never thought a fixed power scope has wider field of view.

@eric1115 What mag power do you watch 7 mag braked impacts?

thanks haeffnkr

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Aside from load development the 1-1.5x per 100yds works well for me. Certain conditions will require the power be set higher or lower but 99.9% of the time I fall in that range. I used to be a high magnification type guy but once I forced myself to shoot longer distances on lower power I saw the light. For hunting 600yds and in I can’t see the need for a scope larger than 9x on deer sized animals. I could do just fine with the fixed 6x although for up close shots I prefer to bracket on 3x so I run the 3-9 range.

I have a fixed 10x on a 22 rimfire and it’s all but useless for doing anything but target shooting. I bought it thinking I would like the precision for shooting small vermin but it’s a hinderance, it will get replaced with a 6x when I get around to it. There is no way at the ranges you listed I would ever consider it for deer hunting, way too little field of view.

eric1115

WKR
Very interesting point. I never thought a fixed power scope has wider field of view.

@eric1115 What mag power do you watch 7 mag braked impacts?

thanks haeffnkr
Depends on distance. 300 yards, 5x. 500 yards, 8x typically. I tend to shoot small-ish targets, and an 8 inch plate at 500 is easier for me at 8x but certainly do not feel hindered by shooting it at 6x. For something like a 12" plate at 500, 6x all day. 800, I'm probably going to be at 10-12x most of the time, and 12-15x at 1k. I'm nowhere near consistent at 1300 but when I play out there I'm around 15-18x. Most of the 1000-1300 yard targets at my range are full size IPSC or similar, not some giant 36x36 plate like you find some places.

Good recoil management is key to this. Square up behind the rifle, let it drive straight back. Too many guys are angled behind the gun and it pushes you to the side. Your eye can track vertical movement more easily than horizontal, and at the end of recoil if you're doing it right the reticle will set back down within a few MOA of your original POA. If after recoil your target is way off to the side of the scope even at 1-1.5x per hundred yards this is where I'd look next. Lots of articles, some on here, explain it in much more detail, but those are my Cliffs notes for you.

OP
H

haeffnkr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies, not sure what I will do next. Depends what pops up used I guess. Might put my 5-20 on the .223 until I find a better solution.

thanks haeffnkr