tag draw failure...

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
First world problems...

*sniff, sniff, tear*

I drive 17 hours to hunt CO. My hunting partner drives 26 hours. Just depends on how bad you want it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The point really isn't the drive. The drive is insulting, because the state is giving away loads of non-resident tags because they make the cold cash and **** residents. I spend the fall hunting all over, but increasingly i fly 3000 miles back East to hunt Whitetail states because opportunity amounts. In PA, residents get first stab and non-residnets get what is left. I'll drive and fly all over the place to hunt and fish this year. The point is i can't hunt a single damn thing in my back yard.

bsnedeker

WKR
The point really isn't the drive. The drive is insulting, because the state is giving away loads of non-resident tags because they make the cold cash and **** residents. I spend the fall hunting all over, but increasingly i fly 3000 miles back East to hunt Whitetail states because opportunity amounts. In PA, residents get first stab and non-residnets get what is left. I'll drive and fly all over the place to hunt and fish this year. The point is i can't hunt a single damn thing in my back yard.

Ok buddy, you're losing me now. The sense of entitlement evident in the statement "the drive is insulting" is, frankly, insulting! It sounds like you would be happier moving back to PA. The way CO manages it's tags is not a secret that you could only know after you moved there. They manage the state for maximum opportunity for everyone and they have done so for a very long time.

elkyinzer

WKR
The West is just different expectations, man. You think you would have known that moving out there that aspect is totally different than the eastern US. I know people out there that drive 2 hours each way to go to the freaking grocery store.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Ok buddy, you're losing me now. The sense of entitlement evident in the statement "the drive is insulting" is, frankly, insulting! It sounds like you would be happier moving back to PA. The way CO manages it's tags is not a secret that you could only know after you moved there. They manage the state for maximum opportunity for everyone and they have done so for a very long time.
It's insulting because it's a money grab, and practically every Tom, Dick, and Phillip I know in the state thinks so. I've met plenty of old timer locals who quit hunting because it's a chore now. I'm not against CPW, im merely pointing out that it's absurd you can't snag a tag in your own backyard, but Bob Fishmore from Bumsickle Illinois gets weighted the same as Bob Miller who has farmed in Larimer CO for 60 years and can't snag a tag. I'll guarantee you i put in more hours afield per month than you do per year. Im not some snowflake bitch. Im annoyed you can't get tags in your backyard, and it aint cuz of people living in Fort Collins are jamming up the ballet box.

WCB

WKR
It's insulting because it's a money grab, and practically every Tom, Dick, and Phillip I know in the state thinks so. I've met plenty of old timer locals who quit hunting because it's a chore now. I'm not against CPW, im merely pointing out that it's absurd you can't snag a tag in your own backyard, but Bob Fishmore from Bumsickle Illinois gets weighted the same as Bob Miller who has farmed in Larimer CO for 60 years and can't snag a tag. I'll guarantee you i put in more hours afield per month than you do per year. Im not some snowflake bitch. Im annoyed you can't get tags in your backyard, and it aint cuz of people living in Fort Collins are jamming up the ballet box.
You have guaranteed OTC tags....You want not only extra resident weighted preference but now you want localized preference? REALLY?

Yeah it is a money grab...you know why? Because it costs money to run wildlife departments and you would then in turn bitch about "why do I have to pay so much as a resident to hunt?"....

"I'll guarantee you i put in more hours afield per month than you do per year. Im not some snowflake bitch." sound like you are and also sounds like you will be putting more hours in your vehicle to.

Laramie

WKR
Colorado does give the majority of tags to residents. The supply far exceeds the demand. If they gave a tag to every guy who wanted to hunt his backyard, the hunting would be terrible along most of the front range due to over harvest and super high hunting pressure. You moved to a highly populated area in a western state. It is the same in many other states for the exact same reasons.

For some perspective on Colorado's tag allocations, attached are snippets from the 2020 deer and elk primary draw recap reports showing high level resident/non-resident results. For deer, adult residents received 3.6 times as many tags as NR's and had a 2.2 times greater first choice success rate. For elk, adult residents received 2.5 times as many tags as NR's and had a 1.7 times greater first choice success rate.

Regardless of whether or not those are "right/fair/optimal" allocations, residents are clearly at a statistical advantage when trying to get their preferred tag.
Screenshot_20200804-114148.png
Screenshot_20200804-114058.png

woods89

WKR
Not only do we one chance at CO tags, not only do we get 2 chances, but then we get a chance at the leftovers, too...........

I think a lot of the frustration comes from chasing the better tags in all three of those. On the leftover list are tags that get people excited, for sure. Those are usually gone very quickly. Meanwhile there are tags that give anyone who is on at 9:00 a really good chance at getting one. They aren't flashy but there are elk in them. The last tag I hunted like this resulted in my buddy and I scouting 2 days, and hunting 4 days before we finally found some bulls on the last day. And I missed a shot opp at a great bull by about 2 seconds. But that's elk hunting, and I was happy.

It's a lemon/lemonaid situation.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
OP,

Its a supply and demand issue. Guess what? Up to 20% of elk tags over six points go to the scary non residents. Under six points its 35%. Save the math you guys make up less than 2% of the US population. Grew up in Iowa buying two buck tags a year at walmart before the season. We would have no elk left in the west if western states took this approach. Guess who pays taxes on Federal Land. US citizens. Guess where most the hunting is Federal land. Just because you moved to Colorado doesn't entitle you to whatever elk tag you want.

By the way I paid $680 dollars for my CO elk tag as a non resident. Your welcome for subsidizing you in state tag. You guys get cheaper tags and it is easier to draw which is fair to an in-state hunter. If Colorado were to purchase all the Federal land with your tax payer dollars and you guys don't mind paying 5x license and tag cost then by all means kick all the non resident hunters out.

No sympathy here

BFR

WKR
My .02, a lot of residents in western states whine about non-residents hunting THEIR big game, can’t draw tags because non-residents get preferential treatment. Surprise, most states allow non-residents about 10% of available tags, some maybe a little more but still not by much. Here’s my suggestion, if you don’t want non- residents in your state, petition your state F&G to stop selling them tags and then make up the financial shortfall.

If you want to hunt your backyard, plenty of leftover landowner tags.

I'm pissed that any preference is shown to a resident of a state hunting federal land that everyone pays for. That's a different subject, I know why it is, just don't agree with it.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I moved to Colorado to hunt, and when not hunting, to fish. Here we are August 4th at 10:15am, and I currently don't have a tag within 4 hours of home. As a matter of fact, I have 1 tag. I drew 1 of 5 tags, a buck tag out past steamboat. I had a list of leftover tags a mile long, and couldn't get on the site this am for 5 minutes, and other that a late season pronghorn tag, which is one of these tags with 9000 available, all private, and im hoping to go door to door to find a spot. I've spent way too much time thinking about tags and researching all this shit to come up dry. I can't figure out what the issue is? Is the state giving too many tags away to non-residents? Why aren't locals somehow weighted to have a greater opportunity to draw tags locally? Regardless, it's become an infuriating process. If you are a normal dude with a job, you don't really have time to scour the entire giant state to figure out where to hunt. You spent time in your backyard and hike and fish there and learn the ropes in your area, but in Colorado, that ain't gonna work out if you live in Fort Collins (where I am), or elsewhere in the front range area.

You moved to Colorado to hunt? Should have done more research...

Reactions: WCB

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
OP. With all the time you spent whining in this thread you could have driven 4 hours on a Friday night and had a fantastic weekend scouting. Boots and the ground and rock on