Tag stew x 6 years = frustration.

You've obviously taken the steps to be successful and done your homework. Now it's a matter of honing your skills. If you're repeating mistakes that could be the issue. If you're a passive hunter that could be the issue. You can do everything 99% right but that 1% is what sends you home with memories instead of meat. To quote a great elk killer "not all elk encounters are created equal" and we should adapt to each situation accordingly. Hang in there. There is nothing more gratifying than taking an elk with your bow.

OP
H

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
The 88 miles hiked was searching for elk. Just could not find the them or the sign that they were around and I didn't want to waste my time hunting a spot with no elk.

Most of the encounters that I've had have been from calling. Last year I bought all of Elknuts videos and his book. After learning a lot more about an elks vocabulary I realized how lucky I was to have as many encounters as I did.
Lead cows and the wind have been a bastard. They bust me everytime. I think learning when to pick a fight is one of my problems and learning how to play wind is another. The wind in the mnts is so tricky.

OP
H

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Year after year I talk to guys at the trail head and they tell me that "haven't seen or heard a thing" as we see them and hear them. I always figured it because we were about 5-7 miles in farther. I'm pretty sure that I don't know what to do when I find them. It's kinda like well there they are. Now what do we do? I've blown so many opportunities I might be gun shy to make a move.
I tell people that I'm not an elk hunter I'm a elk real estate agent, cause I give em a new home after I blow them out of an area.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
I PM'd you my bread and butter, never failed me, fool proof, surefire method. It is guaranteed to work or your money back.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your having fun with the bow stick with it, if not switch to another weapon.....good luck on you choice.

OP
H

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
1234/8
Tried to send you a thank you message.
Thanks guys for the big keep your head up pep talk. It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one in this boat.

amp713

WKR
I havent pulled it off yet myself but ive passed up alot of chances, slapped a spike bull with an arrow one year cuz he was gonna step on me.... Sometimes you gotta just get aggresive and sometimes you need to sit back. My biggest problem is figuring out which to do at what time....

bz_711

WKR
Gotta Love Elk hunting!

If you're still having fun - keep with the bow. If it's already into your head too much and you think muzzleloader will help you fill a tag - switch.
The best advice given above is "Stay Positive"...and that means throughout the entire hunt. Your golden opportunity might only last seconds - if you're hanging your head you will miss it.

Don't forget to smile real big when you get behind your first kill - and please share for all of us to see!

chessie

FNG
Man I hear ya on the frustration. Last year was year number 7 of 7 straight years of soup. 3 different states and I have never been back to the same spot twice. Looking back the first few years were probably just a step above useless. Starting with no experience and not having a buddy to show you ropes is a recipe for a lot of hiking in the wrong areas.

But I'm stubborn and the last few years have been filled with great chances and I have managed to do just about everything wrong when I'm in close. My biggest obstacle has been time. Its tough to put everything together when you only have a limited window and not a chance to do much scouting.

I am going to try to squeeze out a few more days this year, and no question on the staying positive and hunting every day like its the first day.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
1234/8
Tried to send you a thank you message.
Thanks guys for the big keep your head up pep talk. It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one in this boat.

I got it. I bet you stick a good bull this year.

Nice to hear I'm not the only one. The conclusion I've come to is bowhunting elk is flat out tough! So many things have to come together for it to happen. Sometimes the stars align and it does, sometimes one thing goes wrong and they don't. I've been on two elk hunts with a rifle and am two for two. I'm currently sitting at 0 for 4 with a bow. I've had chances and even released an arrow at an elk, but have yet to put my hands on some antler. I've also passed cows, spikes, and smaller bulls (I may be getting less selective as my drought grows!). Like I said, it's not easy. I've learned a lot though. This last year was my first year DIY with archery gear (the other hunts were guided) and I was able to get into bow range on quite a few elk (some I passed, some didn't present a shot) -- so I feel like it's paying off. But yeah, I feel the frustration at times too. I still love it and I know it's all bound to come together with a bow sooner rather than later!

took me 7 years too. In my early seasons i used other benchmarks to keep me focused. you have your first call in, the first time you go to full draw.my 5th season i missed my first shot on a bull,but i could tell things were coming together..when things finaly DID come together it happend so fast i couldent believe there was a bull thundering away from me with my arrow deep in him...dont give up! your first bull could happen anytime!

OP
H

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds year number 7 is gonna be my lucky year. Can't wait for the pack out and elk backstraps over the fire.

OP
H

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
So your saying that guys on the trail don't always tell the truth. Well at lease I'm not the only one.

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Muzzy, bow whatever. It is hunting elk and it doesn't get much better. I have spent many years being too aggressive. My indian name is "onesteptoomany." But, it provides a lot of story telling! I have only killed them with a bow and have blown many, many GOOD opportunities.

This year I am probably going to muzzy hunt. I want a change of scenery and so does my old man and he gets to choose. I have not hunted much with a muzzy for 15-20 years, so I will get an education this summer.

My advise: FOURTEEN DAYS, that's right 14. Even with a muzzy tag, I will go early and have the entire CO season. Good luck and be ready!

Jon Boy

WKR
took me 7 years too. In my early seasons i used other benchmarks to keep me focused. you have your first call in, the first time you go to full draw.my 5th season i missed my first shot on a bull,but i could tell things were coming together..when things finaly DID come together it happend so fast i couldent believe there was a bull thundering away from me with my arrow deep in him...dont give up! your first bull could happen anytime!

Basically my progression as well and it kept driving me. When it finally did happen, pretty much said to myself "holy sh*t did that just happened, is that how its suppose to happen?" as my I watched my bull roll down the hill.

OP
H

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Brunse, I think I have the wife letting me take the WHOLE month of September off so I can chase elk. I'm not sure if I'm man enuff for that. Her and the kids might come out for a while. We'll see how it goes. Work always gets in the way of things too.

2rocky

WKR
Hawker, I know the frustration of "almosts and should haves". It even happens with top notch limited tags.

There is a saying in trail running about "don't make a descision to quit a race on an uphill stretch..." Same applies to bowhunting.