Tag stew x 6 years = frustration.

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Taking a whole month rather than 7 days??? Forget the muzzleloader. A week or two with a bow, then refresh a few days with the family before finishing the season... uh, that's a no brainer. Most would give up a kidney for that opportunity!!! I would try to get a deer tag too with a month. To fill some time after your kill an elk on day3!!

JPD350

WKR
I agree, slow down and hunt smarter, I am not saying don't hunt hard but to focus more on being cunning. learning the terrain and how the elk use it, for example; normal routes, escape routes, bedding areas, pre rut bull hangouts, rutting areas and the list goes on and on. Spend your time putting those miles in all year long and connecting the dots of what you learn so when you start your hunt you are slipping in and killing, precision hunting!

Have you ever released an arrow at an animal of any kind? if not start hunting rabbits, grouse, quail, anything to hone your stalking and killing with a bow skills.

Bow hunting is a way of life, it becomes a part of who you are as a hunter.

JP

I agree, slow down and hunt smarter, I am not saying don't hunt hard but to focus more on being cunning. learning the terrain and how the elk use it, for example; normal routes, escape routes, bedding areas, pre rut bull hangouts, rutting areas and the list goes on and on. Spend your time putting those miles in all year long and connecting the dots of what you learn so when you start your hunt you are slipping in and killing, precision hunting!

Have you ever released an arrow at an animal of any kind? if not start hunting rabbits, grouse, quail, anything to hone your stalking and killing with a bow skills.

Bow hunting is a way of life, it becomes a part of who you are as a hunter.

JP

I started laughing and was offended at the same time. Hawker is a killer, make no mistake. He's killed more animals with a longbow than most guys have with a compound. He hunts with a compound too. He traps and kills furbearers and is a trout slayer. Don't mistake his humbleness. He has rattlesnake venom in his blood. He might be the only guy I know that thinks more about sending an arrow through an animal more than me, maybe.

JPD350

WKR
I started laughing and was offended at the same time. Hawker is a killer, make no mistake. He's killed more animals with a longbow than most guys have with a compound. He hunts with a compound too. He traps and kills furbearers and is a trout slayer. Don't mistake his humbleness. He has rattlesnake venom in his blood. He might be the only guy I know that thinks more about sending an arrow through an animal more than me, maybe.

No offense intended for Hawker or any of his loyal friends and if I made you laugh then that's great, it's good to laugh once in a while!

I don't know him from Joe Smo, maybe I can't understand what I am reading! I read it as if he was having problems killing an elk with a bow and what I wrote was what came to mind, that's all. Hawker can just disregard the laughable offensive crap I wrote and carry on being an elk killer.

JPD350

WKR
Franklinmanlin, I have no idea why you decided to jump on my post, IMO your post is a little out of line!

I went back and re-read all of Hawkers posts because the last thing I would want to do is offend Hawker since all he was doing was asking for advice on killing elk. There is absolutely nothing in any of his posts to insinuate that he has bow hunted every animal under the sun and is a proficient killer with a bow. My question asking if he had ever released an arrow is a legitimate question since I know nothing of his abilities. I have bow hunted for 30 years and have had a full freezer of elk meat most of those years and IMO my advice on elk hunting is sound advice and Hawker can use it or not.

JP

How would a guy know that? From the original post you would not know any of that.

In response to the orginal question.
Is pick up a muzzleloader if you are thinking about it. Get a few kills under your belt and then go to the bow.

Ray

WKR
How would a guy know that? From the original post you would not know any of that.

This is the Internet where everyone is a mind reader and an expert at reading between the lines. Even when the lines were never written.

The Internet! Where Assumption is King!

Guys, sorry for barking atcha. My bark is worse than my bite on here. I was trying to relay something and hypocritically did the same thing. Crow tasts like shit. I hope I am forgiven and claim my get out of jail free card used.

OP
H

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Guys I'm not offended at all. I'm asking for the advice and I love the thought that u guys are taking time to to help me and lift my spirits. Sound like year 7 is gonna be my year.
I find it tough to be good at something that you only get to do once a year. So all advice is welcome.

OP
H

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
As far as the muzzleloader goes I don't think I can do it. I guess I'm a bowhunter to the bone.

OP
H

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that I need to slow down. If I had to describe my hunting style it be like a wolf. Always on the move with lots of encounters, but low success. Not like a cat or a owl.

JPD350

WKR
franklinmanklin
Guys, sorry for barking atcha. My bark is worse than my bite on here. I was trying to relay something and hypocritically did the same thing. Crow tasts like shit. I hope I am forgiven and claim my get out of jail free card used.​

We are good to go, it's easy to post something on a thread and it not come out the way you intended.

Hawker
I agree that I need to slow down. If I had to describe my hunting style it be like a wolf. Always on the move with lots of encounters, but low success. Not like a cat or a owl.​

That is exactly the way my partner hunts, he covers plenty of miles and has lots of non productive encounters, he has however killed a number of animals over the years so that style does work, just mix in a little cat style and it will pay off for you as well.

I know it's not easy to scout from afar, if you ever draw NM let me know.

JP

T43

Lil-Rokslider
Yikes I'm only on year 4 of soup with a bow. I hope I don't have to go to 7. I figured my bow had some sort of hex so I sold it, by this fall I will be ready with a new bow and a new outlook.

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
It's going to be year 5 for me this year, not even close yet. I'm thinking the new footed cedar shafts I'm making for my longbow will change my luck! :)

OP
H

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
JP. Holy cow!! That's a heck of an invite.

Guys I'm not giving up. Just thinking about a different weapon. I can't give up the mountains are way to much fun for this flatlander. Aside if if give up then I have to admit that I'm a quitter and that's not me. If anything I'm gonna work harder, hunt smarter, move slower,study maps more and have fun.

I agree that I need to slow down. If I had to describe my hunting style it be like a wolf. Always on the move with lots of encounters, but low success. Not like a cat or a owl.

Hawk, I think we need to cover MORE ground. Pull up stakes every day until we get into critters. Maybe not go 5 miles but maybe 2, lol.