Talk me out of a CA Ridgeline

Mulyhuntr

WKR
I'm a Tikka/Sako guy through and through, but their short mag boxes leave me wanting.

Sportsman's has the Ridgelines on sale and I have 10% off so they would be $1,575.

Considering a 300 wsm given that almost all their magnum offerings and 280ai are 26" and I'd prefer 24".

Currently have a Sako A7 in 7rm that is superbly accurate with 162eldms but I can't stand the short mag box, slow twist, and wouldn't mind shedding a half pound or more. I could swap barrels on it but can't find prefits and there are very few stock options.

Will the Ridgeline leave me wanting in the smoothness and accuracy department or is it a solid rifle at the price point?

nobody

WKR
I would buy a Mesa potentially, but never a Ridgeline. Christensen does their own carbon fiber barrel in house, and from talking to guys at work and guys who have owned them, they either shoot same hole groups or tumble projectiles at 50 yards, with no in between. For $2k, I shouldn't have to wonder.

Smoothness will leave you wanting. They're a remington 700 footprint, like the bergaras, and the bergara action is far superior and more smooth. The Christensen actions just feel clunky, for lack of a better term. They rattle and clunk, similar to a Savage. Also, in messing with tons of them, the bolts tend to bind if you run the action fairly fast. You almost have to push DOWN on the bolt handle as you push the bolt back into battery in order to keep the bolt from binding and freezing up.

I might get raked over the coals for this post, but I wouldn't purchase one, and I can get them at a discount. If I'm buying a factory rifle with a carbon barrel, I would buy a Savage ultralight with the Proof barrel before buying the Christensen. I would save $700 and at least the Savages have a consistent reputation for accuracy!

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve struggled with every Christensen I’ve owned (a bunch) with the exception of the Summit. The Summit is a fine rife, and it should be for what it costs. I won’t own any of their other models. Too many inconsistensies.

Buy it and don’t look back.
Yes the Bergara in maybe the Mtn 2.0 may be a little better, but also will pay $600ish more.
Could also look at the new Fierce Carbon Rival rifles. But you looking at $1000 more. Can also get the Fierce in a 22” barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sykes

WKR
I've had dealing with several carbon fiber rifles from Christensen and they have all shot well under an inch at 100 yards. Like mentioned above the action is not the greatest. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one, they are light.
Or what you could do is get a Tikka and put a Proof or Bartlein CF barrel on it and get a Manners, Mcmillian or AG stock for it. Can be done for $2500ish if you shop around and hit the forum classified. $1000 more than the CA Ridgeline but you'll have an outstanding rifle. I've have 3 similar to what I described.

Anozira

WKR
I have a ridgeline in 6.5 geekmore. It’s the only Christensen I’ve owned but I love it and would actually like to buy a couple more ridgelines down the road. I’m going to cross my fingers they turn out as good as the one I have now.

idahodave

WKR
Recently owned a Ridgeline in .300 WSM. Shot factory and handloaded 200 ELDXs very well. Chamber was so tight that it wouldn’t chamber at least two types of factory loads I tried.

Bud bought it, and I replaced with a Seekins Havak PH2.…which is a better rifle in every way imho.

The new PH2s came out today fwtw. $400 worth of additional paint and Cerakoting and the price didn’t increase at all. Easy decision for me.

dave

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been around a bunch of them. I have seen problems with some but I’ve always seen Christensen make it right and once they do, I’ve seen them all shoot sub MOA groups once you find the load it likes.
I have one now in .300 PRC. I shoot Unknown Munitions loaded 215 hybrids out of it and it shoots tiny groups. I have zero complaints and would buy another one in a heartbeat.
I do wish the Ridgeline had a wider, flatter forend though.

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
My wife shoots a CA Ridgeline in 300 wsm and the gun is a straight tack driver with hornady 200 gr eldx factory loads.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I have set up 3. Two 7mm and one 300 WM and all three shot sub MOA. One of the 7mm is mine and is a tack driver. I may have gotten lucky but at that price point I would give it a shot. 300 WSM in a 24” barrel sounds like an awesome combo. A 180 grain accubond would be the first bullet I tried in it.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Recently owned a Ridgeline in .300 WSM. Shot factory and handloaded 200 ELDXs very well. Chamber was so tight that it wouldn’t chamber at least two types of factory loads I tried.

Bud bought it, and I replaced with a Seekins Havak PH2.…which is a better rifle in every way imho.

The new PH2s came out today fwtw. $400 worth of additional paint and Cerakoting and the price didn’t increase at all. Easy decision for me.

dave

They definitely have had their issues with chambers. Seems to be that they run their reamers far too long and you end up with undersized chambers. Just found this on a friends Christensen 300 RUM. It's a factory ammo only gun until it gets re-chambered or at least a couple thousandths removed from the back of the chamber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I am putting together a rifle for an elk hunt next year. The Christensen seemed appealing until I read several horror stories. I just ordered a Weatherby Accumark instead. I don't have time for the aggravation of having to send a rifle back.

I picked up a Ridgeline in 28 Nosler, and really like it. Shoots extremely well when I do my part with factory ammo (sub 1" groups at 200 yards). My only gripe with it is the factory bolt knob is teeny. I'll likely replace that. The Triggertech trigger is dreamy compared to the factory trigger that came on my Bergara HMR.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I love my ridge line it has been flawless and plenty accurate, that being said I handled a sako carbon light after buying my ridge line and that will be my next rifle no doubt.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
My Ridgeline shoots extremely well and I just looked at the Mesa and the action felt excellent.
I would buy another one.