Talk me out of an NXS

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
After inflating my budget I think I'm about to the tipping point on an NXS 2.5-10 for my new rifle build. I just sent my 7mm rem mag CLR off to outkast arms to get the Melvin NULA treatment. Currently has a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16 on it as a stop gap to get through last season. Years ago my choice would have been Leupold but I've had a string of bad luck with them.

Most of the recommendations I'm seeing are SWFA 3-9 (unobtanium), Swarovski (questionable reliability and CS if ever needed), SHV 3-10, and NXS 2.5-10. Ideally I would like bombproof, 10-14ish max magnification (I'm blind and like extra magnification for final ID if I don't carry my spotter), smaller objective to fit lower on rifle, and 20ish ounce limit. This has all led me to biting the bullet and thinking I should go NXS. Im trying to set a hard budget of $1500. Also looked at trijicon but nothing has really jumped out at me for similar features, to weight ratio.

Any final recommendations before I go off the deep end?

Should add I'm under a bit of a time crunch as the shop needs the scope to contour the bolt handle to it.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
yes - backordered since 1/17 with no ETA.

OP - the only downside to the baby NXS is that it's second focal plane.
Ya I noticed that but tell me if my reasoning is off. Most situation I’ve ever been In if it’s far enough I need to calculate holdover, 10x wouldn’t be that much of a hindrance? I could see if it was 15x where that would be a serious drawback.

JRob#33

FNG
For what it's worth I just purchased an NXS 3.5-15 after agonizing over it and weighing several options for the last two weeks. The reputation of reliability, repeatability, and quality glass were the final deciding factors for me.

Ya I noticed that but tell me if my reasoning is off. Most situation I’ve ever been In if it’s far enough I need to calculate holdover, 10x wouldn’t be that much of a hindrance? I could see if it was 15x where that would be a serious drawback.

vertical is irrelevant imo, the NXS dials really well. the challenge is if you need to hold for wind - have to be on 10x for the subtensions to be accurate, or be on 5x and do mental math.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Well hopefully I like the NXS. Found one new on another swap page for 1350 including a larue qd mount. Won’t use the mount on this rifle but I’ve got an AR or EBR it’ll work nice on

ChrisAU

WKR
I will never tell anyone an NXS isn't the solution as it will do just fine for any hunter.

That said, if you want more X's and can deal with a few more oz, the Trijicon 3-18x44 is sweet. I'd still prefer the NXS though.

work765

WKR
Well hopefully I like the NXS. Found one new on another swap page for 1350 including a larue qd mount. Won’t use the mount on this rifle but I’ve got an AR or EBR it’ll work nice on

If you don’t end up liking the scope. Let me know. I’m looking for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HCMike

FNG
Classified Approved
After inflating my budget I think I'm about to the tipping point on an NXS 2.5-10 for my new rifle build. I just sent my 7mm rem mag CLR off to outkast arms to get the Melvin NULA treatment. Currently has a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16 on it as a stop gap to get through last season. Years ago my choice would have been Leupold but I've had a string of bad luck with them.

Most of the recommendations I'm seeing are SWFA 3-9 (unobtanium), Swarovski (questionable reliability and CS if ever needed), SHV 3-10, and NXS 2.5-10. Ideally I would like bombproof, 10-14ish max magnification (I'm blind and like extra magnification for final ID if I don't carry my spotter), smaller objective to fit lower on rifle, and 20ish ounce limit. This has all led me to biting the bullet and thinking I should go NXS. Im trying to set a hard budget of $1500. Also looked at trijicon but nothing has really jumped out at me for similar features, to weight ratio.

Any final recommendations before I go off the deep end?

Should add I'm under a bit of a time crunch as the shop needs the scope to contour the bolt handle to it.
No way would I try to talk you out of a NXS but you might consider the 3.5-15. Illum SFP. Have on a Bergara 6.5PRC snd a great combo

crgchck

Lil-Rokslider
if you said you were on a tighter budget, I’d recommend the SWFA 3-15x42 ffp they are damned good for sub $1,000 glass

crgchck

Lil-Rokslider

SloppyJ

WKR
The only way I might talk you out of a NXS is by telling you to add 200 to your budget and get a NX8. Picked one up brand new at an extremely large gunshow for $1700.

Be careful with the 2.5x20 as the short length of it makes it tricky on long actions. I was able to file the front of my rail down and get it back where I needed it though.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
There's nothing like knowing when you put the crosshairs on the animal it will hit where you aim. Whether the rifle fell over, bounced in a quad, knocked around on a backpack, or carried in bad weather I just expect the NF to work and it always does. I only run NF scopes on my hunting rifles (SHV 3-10) and never worry about it.

Was on cull hunt yesterday. Fallow doe at 330m. Hadn't shot the rifle in two months and did walk around hunt in the hills. Dialed drop and perfect shoulder hit. Went out again this morning after rifle was frozen all night with negative temps Celsius, then put in the box in a pickup truck and bounced around on rough 4WD track, then another walk around in the hills. Saw another fallow at 300m. Quick dial and dropped with shot off backpack again perfect hit right where I aimed.

No sweat and I never once worried I'd miss either due to a scope, mount or rifle failure. It always works and being confident in your gear makes important shots a lot less stress.