Talk me out of a Rad 6 Plus ebike

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
I lucked out and drew a great elk archery tag. Lots of up in the unit but all trails can be accessed with an ebike legally. Being able to get in 5-6 miles on a bike will help a bunch in getting one out in Sept. I've ridden mountain bikes a lot and would rather not have to ride these trails with leg power only if hauling a load. I've had a couple recommendations on the Rad 6 Plus and they are on sale currently for $1399. Anyone have enough experience with the brand to give solid advice?

idahodave

WKR
RR,

Anywhere you can legally get an e-bike in Idaho “5-6 miles” back, you’d be better served with a small motorcycle since they have the same legal uses on federal lands.

Something like a little KLX 140 will hold its value better than any e-bike made, and be no more difficult to ride. It will also be a LOT more reliable.

Have you given something like that any thought?

dave

I just assembled my rad 6 tonight, it took about an hour.
First impression is that the frame and components are reasonably solid. I'm charging the battery and plan on taking it out this weekend.

I'm happy with it for $1400 but I definitely wouldn't pay $2000 for it. I haven't messed with quiet Kats or Rambo bikes so I can't compare them.
My biggest concern is the front axle is held in by a plastic nut and a locking lever. Watch the assembly video and it explains it.

Side note the roadside repair kit probably isn't worth the money. It's a multi tool a couple wrenches and some cheap plastic tire spoons. The bike comes with basic wrenches and tools for assembly.

OP
Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty much a "buy once cry once" type but trying to keep my wife from killing me by dropping a few grand on a bike. Want to go electric over a motorcycle as I can see using the electric for other things, motorcycle would be sit and would just end up reselling. I've talked to a few people with a RAD and no complaints but I do understand the cautions above. Gonna keep researching.

If you go with a hitch mounted rack, the more expensive ones are usually worth it (ie. Thule).

For a bed mounted option, I use one called Ride 88.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
Rad is a reputable company but not so much for what you're doing. If you really wanted a nice set up you need to build your own. They sell the motors to bolt on to most bikes of your choosing and it's literally an hour set up. It will be more expensive though. Motors go for around a grand and then the price of bike you choose.

Just did 15 miles on old logging roads. I found the motor didn't have enough power to go up steep road grades. It's not a deal breaker but i was bummed out when I started going up the first hill.
It wasn't too bad having to walk up the steeper grades while using the "walk" function for motor assist to push the bike.
My biggest gripe was the seat is horrible.
The controls where easy to use and the throttle response was ok with a bit of delay getting going.
The shifter is a 7 gear shimano and bound up several times due to user error on my part forgetting to shift up and down as needed. I spent most of the time in first and second.
Brakes are good and felt easy to control.
Tires and suspension were good after I adjusted the preload.

Conclusion: decent bike for the money. If you're riding a road with steeper grade get a 1000w mid drive.

I have two e-bikes. One is a RadRunner 2 and the other is a Kona Dew. Granted both of these are for commuting around town vs using them in the mountains but I'll happily give my thoughts.

Rad does create a good bang for the buck bike. The hub motor is powerful and the welds are solid. That said - they skimp in some critical areas for ultimate backcountry reliability. Number one is the brakes, they use cable disc brakes which for a bike that heavy wear really quickly and don't stop you fast enough. The second is the hub motor - since the motor is in the rear wheel - if you get a flat, it is a total PIA to change the tire because you have to disconnect the motor and bolts etc etc to get the wheel off. Lastly, Rad has 0 customer service. No phone number, no real people and no help (basically no warranty) so you should take that into consideration as well. But - still good bang for the buck.

My Kona was purchased through my LBS. It was double the price of the Rad, but I feel it's much for a Buy it for life purchase. The mid drive motor is way smoother when riding - it actually feels like a bike when riding it vs a moped. This gives me much more confidence on it. It has hydraulic brakes, reliable components and drivetrain, and a great warranty through both Shimano(Motor) and frame (LBS). If I were to do it again I would just buy the Kona.

My 2c

OP
Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Rad is a reputable company but not so much for what you're doing. If you really wanted a nice set up you need to build your own. They sell the motors to bolt on to most bikes of your choosing and it's literally an hour set up. It will be more expensive though. Motors go for around a grand and then the price of bike you choose.
Didn't realize this was an option. I have a specialized stumpjumper carbon is putting a motor on it an option? If so can you give me a place to start researching?

SloppyJ

WKR
I can tell you that a legit e-bike isn't cheap. I ride a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp and it's an absolute beast. There are such HUGE differences in motors that it's unreal. My best friend rides a Norco with a Shimano motor and it's no where near as quick or powerful as mine. I wouldn't recommend buying a cheap one. What's worse than it breaking while you're out there is the fact that you get to lug that 60-70lb beast back with you.

Phaseolus

WKR
I can tell you that a legit e-bike isn't cheap. I ride a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp and it's an absolute beast. There are such HUGE differences in motors that it's unreal. My best friend rides a Norco with a Shimano motor and it's no where near as quick or powerful as mine. I wouldn't recommend buying a cheap one. What's worse than it breaking while you're out there is the fact that you get to lug that 60-70lb beast back with you.
I’m looking to buy the same fairly soon!