Talk me out of a Rad 6 Plus ebike

Hub driven ebikes are junk unless your on a flat paved bike path.
Sorry to say but you wasted $1400. A buddy did the same thing thinking he was gonna get ahead by saving money on a cheaper bike.
I have a bakcou mule, we went for some rides and his battery was dieing on the first hills every time.
He bought another bike for another 3500 and now has spent the same amount as me for 2 bikes as I did with 1.

You don't need the mule, just the bafang mid drive and controller

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have the older model Rad. As others have mentioned, components aren't super great but for my use its been fine... especially considering the bikes you'll buy at your LBS will rival or exceed the cost of a regular motorbike.

What I ended up doing was upgrading the controller to a 35amp. It gives it a lot more power, and was pretty much plug-and-play.

Are the big brand bikes better? Absolutely. Would you be better served buying a big brand mountain bike and converting it to an ebike? Also, probably yes. The rad does fine considering its limitations.

OP
Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input. I've been talked out of one and it's much appreciated. Going to explore adding a Bafang motor to my Specialized Stumpjumper. Hopefully I can find a LBS that will do the conversion for me. Any input on that direction is appreciated. Going to look at the 1000W motor. Looks like I can get into it for about what a low end ebike would cost.

wesfromky

WKR
Look at some photos of installs before buying a motor - you lose some ground clearance vs a built in motor. I looked at diy a bit as well, and it just seemed easier/better to buy something vs trying to retrofit an older bike. And, with a new bike, you get the bigger tires, disc brakes, integrated battery, etc. The M2S I have is basically the Bakcou mule, only less money. I am not a small person, and it just climbs hills like nothing. Battery life with the bigger bikes/motors isn't as good though.

Maz7869

FNG
I have had the RadRunner 2 since last season and two of my hunting partners have used the previous model for 2 seasons, I ordered mine after borrowing one of theirs, from my tree stand before the sun was up after it saved me a 2 mile walk and was quiet enough that a mature buck came in 20 minutes later. We chose this models with no suspension due to the welded frame which has held up extremely well, the fat tires absorb enough shock that its not uncomfortable on trails. I have the large platform added on the back which fits my climber and the front rack for my backpack, the bow rides in handle bar gun holders. The girls also like borrowing it when were at the beach. One thing I will say is do not submerge the battery.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few RADs and they are great street bikes, but when I took mine on a deer hunt last year, it was 100% total crap. And these were on moderate hills on a dirt road! Total crap! Love them for city and beach cruising, but 1000% NOT for any type of backcountry or trail.

OP
Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Alright back to the drawing board. I researched putting a motor on my existing mtn bike. Strongly discouraged putting them on carbon frames. Now researching M2S. Reviews are much better than the RAD. Looking at the Ultra HT. Any input would be appreciated.

wesfromky

WKR
I like mine - it was easy to assemble and has been great so far. The one sorta issue is the battery turns pretty useless once it hits about 25 percent. Added a bow/gun rack in front, and a cargo rack in back. m2s.jpg

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
The M2S is a more powerful bike, but with the lack of attachments available(this may have changed now), I went with the RAD. It's been a fine bike for the last few years.

ahlgringo

WKR
Just went through a similar dilemma. You are correct in that carbon is tough to work with on a bafang mid drive- though that would be a great bike (I almost converted my stumpy to)!! What I ended up doing is picking up a used Surly Pugsley (always wanted one anyway). It had good components/brakes/etc. and the frame is near bulletproof. I then added a bafang bbshd 1000 (1500 really). Got the kit from china (us warehouse) for 500. Bought a Samsung cell 24 ah 52 v battery for 500$ and a Lekkie 40t drive sprocket to replace the cheap bafang that it came with for 100$. So all in I am at 1600 and I have an absolute beast of a bike that I would put up against any so called “hunting e-bike”. The thing is a blast to ride and honestly pretty easy to put together if you have any mechanical skills at all. There are TONS of youtube videos taking you through the whole process and the potential issues. I will say to pay attention to the bb width especially if you do a fattie like I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk