Talk me out of Rem 700 AWR

MThuntr

WKR
I've been eyeing the Rem 700 American Wilderness Rifle...likely in 300RUM so I can fling copper bullets fast. I don't "need" a new rifle and definitely am not a long range guy however I've been looking into better all weather gear as I graduate into hunting Alaska. Cabelas will honor a couple Bass Pro gift cards and they are on sale currently so now is the time to strike. Talk me out of getting one and into another rifle....and go!

elkguide

WKR
Why talk you out of a decent, basic rifle? IF I bought one, the first thing that I would do would be to swap out the trigger for a Trigger Tech trigger though.

Trees91

WKR
Upgrade the trigger. I’m a trigger tech fan too. Have them get a couple out of the stock room and look them over. Find one that sits nice and even in the barrel channel. After a while a lighter stock would make for a really nice rig. Grayboe stocks are decent, but heavy.

mtmuley

WKR
Get one. I have a RUM in need of a barrel soon. Then I see the AWR. Looks like a great package. And reviews are positive on the 5R barrel. mtmuley

Mike 338

WKR
Well, Remington's website doesn't specify the weight and the 300 UM is not a 5R barrel (according to their website). The trigger is generally regarded as needing replacement so add another $150ish to what amounts to a basic Rem 700 in a good stock. 26" barrel isn't exactly handy in the alders and oh yeah, that's quite a bit of gun so you may wish to stick a brake on the end of that thing so add another $125 to $175 and another inch or two. May be a shooter or may not be. Hard to tell with Remington.

N2TRKYS

WKR
If you like it, buy it. The last couple of Remington rifles that I've bought(M700 and Model Seven) have been very accurate.

Good luck.

Well, Remington's website doesn't specify the weight and the 300 UM is not a 5R barrel (according to their website). The trigger is generally regarded as needing replacement so add another $150ish to what amounts to a basic Rem 700 in a good stock. 26" barrel isn't exactly handy in the alders and oh yeah, that's quite a bit of gun so you may wish to stick a brake on the end of that thing so add another $125 to $175 and another inch or two. May be a shooter or may not be. Hard to tell with Remington.

If I remember right, the website says they are 7.3+ lbs which shakes out to 7lbs 5oz when I did the math. It’s in the table of specs but you have to scroll over a ways. And you’re right, I’ve seen Remington offer 5R barrels in every caliber except the RUMs but I’m confused as to why. If I were to buy one (and I do want one for some odd reason) I’d get the WM.

I’d never brake a hunting rifle. Do load work up and ammo testing in a sled if I have to, but the recoil goes unnoticed in the field and I don’t have tinnitus. Agreed on the trigger though. I’ve never owned a Remington. Everyone has scared me off. After buying three Tikkas, hoping a gun shoots well is so foreign to me and I have a hard time signing up for that kind of lottery.

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
I believe the weight is 7.6lbs. You guys aren't wrong about the trigger and I can easily do that job. I find most factory triggers disappointing without a bit of tinkering. I'm not one to stray from recoil though I could probably be convinced to invest in a break.

Mike I agree that a 26" barrel with a potential break isn't exactly portable. Unfortunately I think the 26" is about minimum for the RUM.

I assumed that the entire 700AWR line had 5R rifling. I might have to make a call to Remington about that today.

I have one in 300 win mag. Bought it before I knew a lot about hunting rifles and was drawn by a since of nostalgia for a 300 remmy my dad had and sold years ago.

Mine is a pretty good shooter. Can’t say have used it much. I primarily bow hunt and I don’t need that much gun for the white tails I tend to hunt. Done 5-6 range sessions and a few walks in the woods. I bought it a couple of years back when I was starting to rifle hunt. It was actually one of 3 700s I bought within 3-4 years. The 300 is a good shooter. A cheap sps in 223 shoots like a friggin laser and a 308 xcr that is my problem child. Based on my experience and some observations of others I just don’t think Remingtons QC is consistently reliable. I probably wouldn’t buy it again but it isn’t a bad gun. As mentioned above, I swapped the trigger in mine to a fairly light timmeny. Only issue I really see with it is it is pushing 10 pounds with a base, scope and sling

Don’t get me wrong, it is a nice gun but after shooting it and my other remmys and then getting some exposure to kimber and browning and tikka since buying it, I just think I would put the $1300 I have in the awr into a different platform if I were buying today. My go to rifle right now is a tikka t3x in 6.5. A t3x in 300 would weigh 2# less and $300-400 cheaper with a detachable mag vs the Remington.

I would not say that you shouldn’t buy it, especially if you can get a good price. I just think there are options in that price range that are as good if not better and lighter.

MinixJT

FNG
I like those 700 AWR in theory, and everytime I think of getting a new rifle the that particular 700 tempts me. It has a nice feature set w/ the grayboe stock, stainless cerakoted barrell. All it needs is a Timney trigger (or other replacement) if it shoots well imo

madmoose

FNG
I have one in 300 win mag. Bought it before I knew a lot about hunting rifles and was drawn by a since of nostalgia for a 300 remmy my dad had and sold years ago.

Mine is a pretty good shooter. Can’t say have used it much. I primarily bow hunt and I don’t need that much gun for the white tails I tend to hunt. Done 5-6 range sessions and a few walks in the woods. I bought it a couple of years back when I was starting to rifle hunt. It was actually one of 3 700s I bought within 3-4 years. The 300 is a good shooter. A cheap sps in 223 shoots like a friggin laser and a 308 xcr that is my problem child. Based on my experience and some observations of others I just don’t think Remingtons QC is consistently reliable. I probably wouldn’t buy it again but it isn’t a bad gun. As mentioned above, I swapped the trigger in mine to a fairly light timmeny. Only issue I really see with it is it is pushing 10 pounds with a base, scope and sling

Don’t get me wrong, it is a nice gun but after shooting it and my other remmys and then getting some exposure to kimber and browning and tikka since buying it, I just think I would put the $1300 I have in the awr into a different platform if I were buying today. My go to rifle right now is a tikka t3x in 6.5. A t3x in 300 would weigh 2# less and $300-400 cheaper with a detachable mag vs the Remington.

I would not say that you shouldn’t buy it, especially if you can get a good price. I just think there are options in that price range that are as good if not better and lighter.
Totally second this post.
I too have gone all tikka over the past 6 years. .300, .270wsm, 7mm-08, 6.5. All shoot amazing!!!! Great factory trigger, and some of the lightest out there.
Spending a thousand bucks or more on a rifle that you would need to spend more money on to make shoot is kinda messed up. Rather be spending that on glass. Target shown is 1 of 2 tikka .300s both shot the same. Shooting bag, shoulder and laying down in the bed of the truck. FB_IMG_1497704141667.jpg

madmoose

FNG
Respectively i have a friend that went with the tikka in 300 and 270 as well, both shoot same.
Another friend just has the .300 ... same
And a buddy and his dad both shoot the .270wsm.... again, the same.
So no fluke where you MIGHT get a shooter off the shelf. The most i spent on one was 619. The others 5 to 520. Sportsmans warehouse had a sale last spring, they were 499. I should have bought all what they had, but just got 1. 😪

only issue with the tikkas is the short mag boxes, something to consider.
Other issue is stupid twist rates.

I think a lot of people who stroke on tikkas also remember them being the super value guns they once were. I remember last year buying some from Whittaker’s for like 550 for the stainless models. It was easier to overlook the mag length and twist issues when they were ridiculously cheap. Now at 650-700 for the stainless it’s a little harder.

Not to mention the stainless somehow rusts easier than others.

Also don’t let anyone fool you - you absolutely have a chance of getting one that won’t shoot. I’ve personally owned two and have seen others. This isn’t to say it’s a 50/50 or anything that bad, just that it happens more than people let on. I’ve heard that beretta isn’t so great to work with.

I think if they pulled their heads out of their asses with twist rates, mag lengths and maybe offered a threaded barrel on some of the models I think they would return to being the best value rifle even at their current price.

Also, don’t let everything I just said take away from what’s great about them - I’m just trying to show you the ugly that no one seems to mention.

elkguide

WKR
only issue with the tikkas is the short mag boxes, something to consider.

I'd also base my purchase/use on how a rifle feels in my hands. The Tikkas are reliably accurate especially with factory ammo because of the short box you're not going to gain a lot by reloading but I just can't get used to the feel of them in my hands and at my shoulder. They sure do sell a lot of them so it must just be me.