Tall shooter - increasing LOP on T3x

AGCin215

FNG
New member and thank you all for the education I got in reading before I bought my T3x lite earlier this week - first bolt action rifle in my safe. I got a roughtech because I was looking for threaded and cerakote, and it had a dark green stock that was nice enough. The issue is this: I am 6'6" tall and have a 15 3/4" length of pull. The rifle is just under 14" LOP with the factory pad, or about 13" without it. I've looked for posts on lengthening the stocks and haven't found any easy DIY answer.

The Tikka spacers are only 1/8" each (which is ridiculous - I would need at least 10 of them), they are silly expensive in the U.S. for some reason ($60 for 2) and the ones designated for synthetic stocks have a slot cut from the edge into the screw hole, which is really ugly.

I've looked at the kick-eez and the NECG grind to fit and the NECG seems to be the nicer product and also comes in 1" thicknesses. Some UK websites talk about 3D printing your own which seems way too complicated. I would cap it with a grind to fit recoil pad, probably the limb saver Nitro which would give me about 15 1/2.

So, three questions:

1. Does anyone have an easier, better way?
2. Has anyone done a 15"+ factory synthetic stock extension they really like?
3. I noticed when I took off the buttplate that there is a lip insert on the pad side. Anyone have thoughts about how to replicate that on the spacer pad, or whether I could skip it?

Thanks in advance.

AC

nobody

WKR
welcome to Rokslide!

Pick up a KRG Bravo, it’s fully adjustable and will also improve the rifles shootability because of the improved ergonomics. It’ll add some weight, but again, that’ll improve shootability. You’ll need to add a couple extra spacers when you buy, but they sell them economically enough.

https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-chassis/

Congrats on the new rifle, what’s she chambered in?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
15 3/4" is SUPER long so you might want to take small steps up before you go anything past 14.5". Even if you have super long arms the issue is once you get a LOP that long you have to offset your body at a weird angle or just giraffe neck your head further forward than what is comfortable to get a proper sight picture.

I am not sure where you got the 15 3/4" but measuring your body is more of a starting point than anything else. For example I measure a 14.5" but its more comfortable and natural for me to run a 13.5" lop. We have a local who is 6ft 8 and he runs a 14.5" on all of his rifles because it feels comfortable. I originally set up his chassis for 15 inches but it was just too much when he was behind the rifle. If you know someone around you with a chassis try it out just to see what LOP feels the best for you. Even if you do not want to jump into a chassis right now, it will allow you to easily adjust to the different LOPs so you can feel the different fits.

Macintosh

WKR
That sounds like a shotgun LOP, but regardless factory is likely too short. If you need to add an inch+ you are going to have a “straight” section in the stock for the spacer if you keep the pad, which I personally prefer because a straight pad will alter the pitch. Brownells and midway sell grind-to-fit plastic spacers that are fairly light and stackable and inexpensive—sounds like you found those already. I might just get a couple of those, some
longer screws, and try that. You can even get angled ones if you want to duplicate the factory pitch with an aftermarket pad. You can also drill out the center to reduce weight if thats an issue. You can tape off the stock and pad and grind it yourself if you have a belt sander, or you could have a smith do it for probably less than $100. Unless you have a 3d printer and want to go that route its the easiest and cleanest way I know of.

Edit: no idea about this place, just found it searching:

Last edited:

WKR
Most of my stuff is around 14". I'm 6'7" and that seems to be pretty good. If you need that long, I think McMillan may get close with a 1" pad if you order one. Good luck finding what you need.

Reactions: XLR
OP
A

AGCin215

FNG
Thank you all. Super helpful. I am new to rifle hunting (and this is a .308 that I will be using to hunt suppressed - mostly Pennsylvania whitetail) , so yes MacIntosh, it is a shotgun LOP. I've used various online resources to try and measure since this post (bent arm, nose touch point on comb etc...) and I am still coming up with an over 15" number.

One follow up: Do I measure before or after I attach optic?

I have a slip-on pad that will increase LOP by 1" so that could give me a temporary sense of how much I need. I will say that factory LOP at approximately 14" feels quite short when shouldering it, but I expected that given that nothing in my life fits me off the rack. Otherwise I am quite happy with my new purchase.

Macintosh

WKR
If you are used to a fitted shotgun most rifles will be a little short in comparison, at least ime. Ive used shotguns as long as 15.75” with DT’s, normally at 15” on shotguns, yet 13.75 on a rifle is just right. Eye relief may become an issue if you go really long, try that slip-on and see how it feels. Or you can always stack some washers under the (longer) recoil pad screws to dial-in a length that works. If you ever plan to shoot prone you’ll need it a touch shorter, so just remember to make sure it works in all the positions you’ll use.
This is geared more toward PRS and prone shooting but post #6 has some good info.

Bluefish

WKR
I have used thick leather to build up a pad. Just cut it to shape and glue a few together. then you can grind it to fit. Grinding is not hard, just cover the stock with blue tape and go slow so you don’t hit the stock.
Might check with a shoe repair place to see if they have sole leather as it’s thick and super durable. Tandy leather sells hides as wel.

OP
A

AGCin215

FNG
Again, thank you. Really helpful and very grateful. I will report back on ultimate conclusion and solution for those who are interested and for future reference to other monkey-armed shooters like me.

fwafwow

WKR
I’m not in need of as much extra length as the OP, but I need another 1/2 to 3/4”. What did you ultimately do?

I have found some Tikka spacer sets online (SKU S540208725 and UPC 082442950068), but I expect these are the ones you reference at 1/8” each. I’m also wondering if a Limbsaver pad may work to add length, even though I don’t need a recoil pad for 223.

Smooch

FNG
New member and thank you all for the education I got in reading before I bought my T3x lite earlier this week - first bolt action rifle in my safe. I got a roughtech because I was looking for threaded and cerakote, and it had a dark green stock that was nice enough. The issue is this: I am 6'6" tall and have a 15 3/4" length of pull. The rifle is just under 14" LOP with the factory pad, or about 13" without it. I've looked for posts on lengthening the stocks and haven't found any easy DIY answer.

The Tikka spacers are only 1/8" each (which is ridiculous - I would need at least 10 of them), they are silly expensive in the U.S. for some reason ($60 for 2) and the ones designated for synthetic stocks have a slot cut from the edge into the screw hole, which is really ugly.

I've looked at the kick-eez and the NECG grind to fit and the NECG seems to be the nicer product and also comes in 1" thicknesses. Some UK websites talk about 3D printing your own which seems way too complicated. I would cap it with a grind to fit recoil pad, probably the limb saver Nitro which would give me about 15 1/2.

So, three questions:

3. I noticed when I took off the buttplate that there is a lip insert on the pad side. Anyone have thoughts about how to replicate that on the spacer pad, or whether I could skip it?

Thanks in advance.

AC

So, three questions:

Thanks in advance.

AC
What bit did you use to remove the screws? I can't see in the holes very good and can't seem to find a bit in my wheeler fat wrench set that works.