Tell me about tire chains-4th gen 4runner

woods89

WKR
I'm headed to CO for 3rd season this year. I'm going to be taking my 04 Sport 4runner (full time 4x4). I'd like to have a set of chains with me just in case. Tires are 265/70/17 A/T.

In looking online I'm getting mixed thoughts. Some guys say only on the rear, and some are putting them on all 4 corners.

I'm a Midwestern guy, with zero experience with chains. Starting from scratch. I'd be interested in any advice folks have to offer, both with technique and brand selection. Thanks in advance!

Geewhiz

WKR
If youve got lockers and chains on all 4 theres nowhere you wont be able to go,... until you get high centered.

Also, Dont chain up going in. If you get stuck with chains on then youre really stuck, chains dig holes fast.. Keep them in your rig and put them on if you need them to get out.

Get cam lock v bar chains.

There are mixed thoughts on which tires to put them on if you only have 2. There is more clearance in the back but at times you may not have much for steering. If you put them on the front just be aware you might tear into your mudflap/fender well/ fender when turning.

Last edited:
Your not going to have room on the front for v bars. Maybe not even on back.
My regular non b bar cam locks tore the upper ball joint boots on my Toyota last year.

Id get a couple sets of the quick for diamond change and know your limitations. And know they are not a super durable off road chain.
Get yourself out of trouble and realize you can't be spinning them high speed and bouncing off of stuff

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
I appreciate the advice!

S class chains should fit on the front and will certainly fit the rear. If you only have one set of chains use them on the front so you can actually steer.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/Titan-Chain/TC2327.html - these are the ones I've used in the past and they hold up to moderate use.View attachment 613441

Mine looks almost exactly like yours. Same color, wheels....

I'm thinking about ordering a pair like you linked, checking fit, and then making a call on whether I want another pair.

For nasty->Commercial HD z-chains on front, and vbar boron in back.

For just on road pass->commercial HD Z-chains, easier and alot quicker

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have had great luck with RUD Grip 4x4 chains. They are lower profile and not as burly as others.

I put them on all four but I have plenty of room in my wheel wells.

Fatcamp

WKR
I've only fit tested and ran once in an ice storm. Used the v-bars off my F250.

My front is too close to my lines so only used on rear. They fit but were very close up front. I'm lifted so plenty of space in the wheel well, but didn't want to wreck my brake lines. There are much lower profile options that would work I'm sure.

I'm 3rd gen, but I think the problems are similar.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re going to buy chains you might as well get 4. My stock f-150 also lacks front clearance but I’m able to make peweg chains work up there. Like @Geewhiz said, only use them to get out. Once you’re out just get those front chains off before you tear anything up.

Peweg chains have treated me good and they’re made in the USA.

I've only fit tested and ran once in an ice storm. Used the v-bars off my F250.
My front is too close to my lines so only used on rear. They fit but were very close up front. I'm lifted so plenty of space in the wheel well, but didn't want to wreck my brake lines. There are much lower profile options that would work I'm sure.

I'm 3rd gen, but I think the problems are similar.

15’ F250 with leveling kit. These fit front.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
I ordered a set like @duchntr linked this afternoon. I looked the situation over fairly well, and I'm honestly skeptical that I can fit chains on the front, as the upper control arm is pretty close. Once they come in I will see how they clear, and go from there.

Thanks for all the discussion, and it doesn't have to stop here!

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
If you’re taking chains make sure to take a shovel and know how to put them on before you need them. I’d also bring a chainsaw with me.

Absolutely, both those will be with me, as well as a recovery rope/strap. I will definitely troubleshoot the chaining process a few times before leaving.

If its like my other trips, likely we won't ever chain up, but it's nice to have options. Last time I flew out, and rented a little VW Tiguan. We kept it on the better roads and used my buddies 4wd Tahoe for the rougher stuff. I didn't own this rig then, though.

Fatcamp

WKR
15’ F250 with leveling kit. These fit front.

My chains fit the front of my F250, but clearance on my 4runner is tight. If I only drove in a straight line it would probably be ok.

My F250 with locking rea end and v-bar chains all around is a beast. I'm sure I could get it stuck in an epic manner. 😁

Fatcamp

WKR
I ordered a set like @duchntr linked this afternoon. I looked the situation over fairly well, and I'm honestly skeptical that I can fit chains on the front, as the upper control arm is pretty close. Once they come in I will see how they clear, and go from there.

Thanks for all the discussion, and it doesn't have to stop here!

Ya, control arms and lines sre tight. Mine will fit them but it is super close. Even so, especially on ice, rear chains are awesome.

My chains fit the front of my F250, but clearance on my 4runner is tight. If I only drove in a straight line it would probably be ok.

My F250 with locking rea end and v-bar chains all around is a beast. I'm sure I could get it stuck in an epic manner. 😁
i couldn't get chains on front, may be my offset though, but yes
e locker and vbar are hard to beat