Tent design

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is an old 1950’s machine-I just set it on max for the stitch length. I think it’s probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-9 stitches per inch.

Jeremy

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used blue so it's easier to see
9c1e19281e168c961f0e0924f5d96f04.jpg

Live2hunt custom shelters

Super Moderator
Staff member
You will have to really play with your home machine getting it adjusted just perfectly to be able to get that though as home machines have a real problem feeding silnylon

Super Moderator
Staff member
Odds are good even with it adjusted just perfectly you'll still have to keep tension at the front and back and sort of feed it manually

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
^^^^This. I don’t think I’d say I had trouble getting the silpoly to feed through my machine, but feeding CONSISTENTLY is a whole different story. After all the projects I did, the biggest thing I found to controlling stitch length was the pressure I kept on both sides of the presser foot and helping feed the material along at a consistent rate. Doing stuff sacks, pull outs, a tarp, quilts, etc was really helpful for me to get the practice for that consistent tension on the fabric.

Jeremy

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
It about 5 stitch per inch

Thank you very much. You've confirmed I was more or less perforating my fabric! :D I've since increased my stitch length dramatically as I had a few times where the fabric underneath got caught in the sewing and I couldn't easily rip those seams.

Also, longer stitch length makes the long seams go much faster.

Last edited:

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Odds are good even with it adjusted just perfectly you'll still have to keep tension at the front and back and sort of feed it manually

When I sewed my silpoly tarp this summer there were a few areas on the project where I used tissue paper to help the feeding process. Really helped the machine gain traction. You still need to hold the fabric front and back as live2hunt mentions but a few areas it helped. It pulls free easily and a spritz of water helps remove any remaining bits of paper.

Beendare

WKR
You are pretty far along but what I think is best after trying numerous techniques is to use that iron on seam tape to stick the two pieces together.....then its pretty easy to fold and sew.

OP
N

NHBacon

FNG
I happy with progress, however I do have a couple of corners that are not tight. I'll probably just put the outs and pull them out tight. Thing is monster big inside. I just have to seam seal and stove Jack it.
36b0a4af6ebdb93b788f416ca6173002.jpg
a751b5c43707b61d340562ca35585e93.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good, I'm about to start in on a pyramid tent that will hopefully be very similar to that. What ended up working with sewing the cap on top?