Testing KDC Tripod/Bipods- pushing the limits of ultralight

Hey Colineman, yes. If you look at Jareds bottom photo, the system comes with a cord system that secures the legs and can add stability. Only tried it at home so far though.

Yeah, I was just curious if that would add enough stability for your 15's or maybe even your CTC if you added the weight of say your daypack. I notice on the website he is using his Nalgene, but I wonder if some more weight would allow for a heavier scope.

Shrek

WKR
I've got the bipod and the tripod leg adapter. The bipod works great to steady you but it's not a heavy duty bipod that you can lean into to preload but I can sit or get prone by pulling a couple of sections out. It's great for the weight and it just snaps on the swivel stud so it can be removed when not in use. The tripod leg adapter is fine for binoculars or a small spotter. The tripod is not a full range super steady tripod and if that's what you're expecting it will be a disappointment but it works great with its small ball head and is super light and with it also being dual use even more weight efficient. I've had a little trouble with the ball head and I need to send mine back so I'll see how that goes and report back. I bought mine from Terry two years ago from his shop at his home on the way hunting and I've been very happy with the bipod and tripod adapter leg. My ball head has an issue though that needs some attention.

mtnkid85

WKR
I would like to look at these guys for the Swaro EL bino stud and tower. I like that they are a little more local for me, has anyone sent them there ELs yet?

snipepod

FNG
The Granite Peak is sized like the V2 SnipePod, by torso length. A GP-33" leg typically fits the torso of 6'4" and taller hunter. The GP-30" for 5'11" to 6'4", the GP-27 for 5'5"-5'11" and the GP-24 for the 5'0" to 5'5" person. With that said, the GP sizing does not have to be as critical as with the V2-SnipePod. If you are 6' and go for the GP-33, you will be fine. Typically when setting up of an extended period of bino work, you have more than enough time to spread the legs wider and get comfortable. However when it come to shooting, time may not be a luxury, so proper sizing of the V2-SnipePod is important so you can get on target as quickly as possible, in the most difficult of terrain.

Is there any sort of Rokslide discount that I may have missed? I'm ready to order either way, just wondering? Thanks again, looking forward to using the tripod on my upcoming moose hunt!

snipepod

FNG
No discount this time of the year. Can't make'm fast enough. Hunting season. Maybe during slow seasons in future. May-June-July.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I just hit my 5th day packing the Granite Peak. Some additional thoughts:

for sneaking around in buck country, and seated glassing, I really like it. so adjustable which surprised me because the legs are a fixed length (Terry, mine's the 33", right?)
from low
attachment.php

to medium
attachment.php

to high
attachment.php

the weight system works well. That's a 40 ounce bottle and it stabilized it nicely in 10 mph winds.

It's simple as simple
attachment.php

CoLineman78, to your question, I'm not sure I'd load it down much more than this. It's pretty light duty but Terry can chime in on weight specs.

I can say that this GP will be with me on most of my hunts where I'm not glassing extreme long range- so if a smaller optic works for the particular hunt, the tripod will work too. I have not needed the optics balancer with these optics but it's so light (just a few ounces at most) I can keep in my pack if I switch to an optic that needs balance.

I can't tell you how nice it is to pack something this light and compact- I seriously can switch to a fanny pack with this system. Good job to KDC.

Only thing I can't speak of is durability. I'll chime in end of season on that one. Someone remind me if I forget.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Earlier this year I was looking at mounting my new 10x42 ELs to my tripod; I've been using a tripod on my western hunts since 1999, but always easily mounted SLCs, Leicas, or Zeiss. I called Outdoorsman's to ask a few questions about their EL stud and did not like their answers or their tone. Then I talked to Terry. The guy is a straight shooter and borderline genius. I ordered the whole system as I had a hunt coming up on Kodiak where weight would be a premium. I did not like it for my spotter and digiscoping, but I was asking way too much of it with a 65mm Diascope. The GP tripod is great for glassing with binos! I never used the cord support as I found I could curl my arms around it and make it ROCK solid with my body weight. When I first got the unit I was skeptical of the head. Well, I stand corrected. In about 5 minutes I had that figured out and was again saying, "genius". Genius does not even begin to explain the optics balancer deal he has come up with. Excellent, excellent light weight option for glassing. I can't say it will replace my current tripod as I think I am actually going to go larger on my spotter, but Ibcan say my binoculars will be on the Granite Peak and it will be on every hunt.

The EL stud system Terry does is very well done; sleek, solid, precision, and unobtrusive.

All the products I have from Snipe Pod have been of the highest quality. I only have an original Snipe Pod currently and it has done the job for a LONG time. Glad to see Robby and the boys reviewing.

dotman

WKR
I would like to look at these guys for the Swaro EL bino stud and tower. I like that they are a little more local for me, has anyone sent them there ELs yet?

Just an FYI...anyone installs the stud other then Outdoorsmans it will void your warranty on the swaros.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Just an FYI...anyone installs the stud other then Outdoorsmans it will void your warranty on the swaros.

Ask Outdoorsman's or Swarovski for that tidbit in writing and see what you get. That's exactly why I used KDC for the stud; he didn't lie to me...

dotman

WKR
Ask Outdoorsman's or Swarovski for that tidbit in writing and see what you get. That's exactly why I used KDC for the stud; he didn't lie to me...

Never did ask Swaro for it in writing but they have told me and many others yes when asked, Outdoorsmans has it clearly stated in writing on their website.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
First of all I am sorry for derailing this thread on a great little tripod.

Second, I did all of this in the March/April timeframe. I never saw anything in writing on the Outdooraman's website about the stud not voiding the Swarovski warranty. I've seen quite a bit of Internet hear say...

I called and asked if the stud installation voided the warranty. I was told vaguely they "have not had any problems". I asked for something in writing that my warranty would not be affected by the stud installation and no one there was willing to do that. That is a big difference and they could have handled it much more professionally on their end. Big time.

I just took a look and I could not find anything on the website. This is all I can find:

If someone could pointed me to where it is clearly stated the stud installation in no way affects the factory Swaro warranty, I will retract my experience.

So to get back on track, I was very happy with the stability of the granite peak tripod. It allowed me to size up this Sitka Blacktail at 252 yards with just the stud mounted ELs.

mtnkid85

WKR
Earlier this year I was looking at mounting my new 10x42 ELs to my tripod;
The EL stud system Terry does is very well done; sleek, solid, precision, and unobtrusive.

All the products I have from Snipe Pod have been of the highest quality. I only have an original Snipe Pod currently and it has done the job for a LONG time. Glad to see Robby and the boys reviewing.

Could I bother you for a picture of the stud mounted on the 10x42 ELs? In the images Ive seen it almost looks like the stud hangs down really low, which would be a hassle/uncomfortable to leave it connected to the binos all the time and still be able to put the binos in a chest harness.

Thanks!

:EDIT:

This image from there website makes the stud look HUGE, like you wouldn't be able to fit the binos with it attached into my chest harness.
EL_Good_Balance.jpg

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Out of town now. The stud might be 1/4" long sticking out of the hinge. Much shorter stud than the Outdoorsman. The photo you show is the piece that attaches the tripod to the stud, similar to the post the Outdoorsman's stud slides into. The KPC stud slips into a slot then locks in with a cam lever. The aluminum riser in your pic stays attached to the tripod with a quick release and also connects to the Bino. You don't have that piece walking around, just as you would not have the Outdoorsman's post connected to the Bino when you have it around your neck.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Here are some photos of what is on the binocular when it is around your neck:

This is how the the Bino attaches to the silver piece you show:

And the opening and lock mechanism of the silver piece you show:

It is an excellent system. Simple, solid, quick, and light.

snipepod

FNG
I realize that this is probably a topic for a new thread, but I want to give my 2cents on the "PRELOAD" bipod shooting technique. I am a firm believer in free floated barrels, and I take it one step further and free float my rifle. I don't touch the barrel/forearm during the shot. I just make sure the recoil pad is securely into my shoulder pocket, and hold the pistol grip lightly, just enough to get a smooth squeeze. With this technique, I am confident that the rifle will recoil consistently from shot to shot. This is the classic bench rest shooters technique. First, the V2 SnipePod will not allow "PRELOAD", but if you have a bipod like a Harris that does allow "PRELOAD", then think about this. At the moment the feet of a "PRELOADED" bipoded rifle leave the ground, they will snap back into their "UNLOADED" position. Any vibrations will be transmitted into the firearm, and if the bullet has not exited the muzzle, this is not good. Also, how do you consistently apply the same PRELOAD pressure? One shot it is 1lb, next shot 2lb, each with different unloading vibrations. Also, what if the preloading snags some brush, grass etc and changes the recoil barrel lift angle? Another wild card in the equation. It takes about 1.3 milliseconds for the bullet to rattle down the barrel and exit the muzzle in 24" barrel with a approx 3,000fps round. The calculation assuming a linear acceleration rate inside the barrel. So any thing you do or your "preloaded" bipod does has a detrimental effect to the bullet placement down range. So play it save, don't preload and free float your rifle, take that variable out of the equation. The V2-SnipePod will maintain rock solid X (horixontal) and Y (vertical) Axis stability at the forearm. The weakness is the X and Y Axis at the recoil pad, or in other words, the shooter. The Z (front-rearward) axis does not have as much influence. So practice your technique to lock that X & Y on the back of the gun. You will see great improvement to your groups down range.