Thanking after killing

istybitsy

FNG
I was wondering how many of hunters thank to something? after successfully placing a shot. Some of my friends thank to God, one prays to Diana and I know few Europeans who place branches to mouths of killed animals and onto a place where shot was placed.

Do you have any thanking rituals?

Well. I'm not a real religious person but I do believe in some sort of universal balance I guess. After I harvest an animal, the first thing I do is remind myself that every bit of it must be used to the best of my ability and that I have a responsibility to that animal's life to make sure not to waste anything that I could have used.

I guess it not a prayer, but its what I do.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
I always give thanks and show gratitude to God for the animals I’ve been blessed with. We all have the responsibility of being stewards of God’s creation, to take care of the places we go and the animals we pursue.

Last edited:
The apostle Paul tells us in Romans 1 that we worship the Creator or the creature/created things. Who or what we worship is mutually incompatible, no way around it.
[Edit for clarification: The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are the same/one eternal being. Mankind and angels/demons/Satan + the universe and everything in it were created by and through Christ - see Colossians 1:16.]

OP
Thanks for prompting the idea of giving thanks. You asked, and to avoid any confusion about who is who and what is what, here's a description of the eternal creator worthy of all my praise and thanks.

Colossians 1:15-20
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

Last edited:
seems ridiculous to me. I am certainly not religious and dont feel the need to "thank a dead critter" I completely believe in handling the carcass in an ethical manner. But feel no need to create some crazy ritual. I think the dumbest thing I have heard was someone asking if i was going to get the animal mounted to give it "the respect it deserves" like somehow being on a wall after being killed by a bullet is the ultimate achievement for a game animal. (frankly i think dead critters on walls is pretty macabre anyway) just not my thing. Honestly I dont understand half the shit hunters do to try and sugarcoat death.

I always thank the universe for providing the opportunity to partake in another hunt and to harvest another fine animal. I also spend a moment thanking the animal, and making peace with it for what I've done.

I think the vast majority of hunters do something similar out of respect. Others may disagree.

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to the animal for the nourishment its flesh will provide, and thanks to the Creator for a safe hunt. I also place a green branch in the animal's mouth as its symbolic last meal. A tradition that I borrowed from some European hunters many years ago.

The animal was created by God. The earth that the animals inhabit was created by God. My skills to harvest the animal were given to my by God, as were my friends and family that I hunt with. I thank God always and everywhere and I am also saddened by those who do not know Jesus Christ as their savior.

i always give thanks,no real high fiving here,i dont take killing lightly and i have been cull hunting for years which is a pretty souless activity. i have been sticking the last meal/ branch in there for years.